The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Grooming Fawn Briards View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: How often do you groom your Fawn Briard

Once a week
22%
 22%  [ 21 ]
Twice a week
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Three times a week
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Four times a week
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Five times a week
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Six times a week
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Seven times a week
24%
 24%  [ 23 ]
Every other week
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Every three weeks
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Once a month
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 95

Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought following the discussions on grooming and the differences between Fawn & Black to put two polls on and see how different the grooming is. Unfortunately I can only do 1 poll per topic so you also need to vote on the !?! 'Grooming Black Briards'

Lets see what the results will be

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've always had long haired dogs. I'm on my third Briard; altho my first fawn. I've always groomed all my dogs every day. I brush My hair every day...so of course I do the same for my dogs. I can check over for any bumps or cuts, etc as well as any sort of knots. I have to admit I can see how the black coats are easier to control.
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HI
YEAH I MUST AGREE WE FIND BLACK COATS EASIER FOR SOME REASON Rolling Eyes
Kastobri Kay
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi , I must disagee, I have had fawn and black briards and I have found my black briard far harder to keep smart as he has a very soft coat
Nicola Pearce
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with you Kay my Blacks are harder to keep smart than my first fawn - but with the current one we are going through the coat change so unable to pass comment at this stage.

Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would just like to say, I have only a fawn at the mo, but having a wonderful person come and see me at the house, whom I wont name without permission. Paygan coat has is nearly matt free after 3 days. I brushed her today, as shown and she was so good and calm.

So as they say, a work man cannot do the job without the right tools.[/size][/size]

Again, I haven `t owned a black
And thankyou ----- ---- who came and sowed me. An excellent Breeder

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have friends in Belguim who have 3 fawn Briards they hardly get groomed at all but look wonderful.The coats are so much more coarse than our briards over here.We cant leave our fawn girl for more than a couple of days without knots appearing.
Steve and Jenny
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have just uploaded a pic of the Belgian Briards it is not of a very good quality but it does show the coarseness of the coats.
Steve and Jnny
Nicola Pearce
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

for all you owners who have problems with the grooming may be you should look at getting a Beauceron (which is a briard without a coat) have a look - they are confirmed as being a hairless version of the briard.

http://www.overhill.co.uk/beaucerons/passionp.htm

Eowyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ideally, I have to groom my fawn Birard every day to prevent knots. Smile

When she was younger (and had shorter hair) I used to groom her once a week.

Now, I use a brush on her about every day and once a week I use a comb to groom her thoroughly. Very Happy

She's my first Briard and I wonder if the hair gets coarser as they get older. She is now about one year old.
Komma
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I groom Komma Every day, but I could skip one or two days without seeing mutch of knots :wink: She is Fawn
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our Hugo is a 14 month old black Briard, but our previous one, Oscar, was a fawn. Hugo's coat is in a much better condition, but he doesn't mind being brushed and I now have better equipment (Mason Pearson brush, and comb with rotating teeth) which all helps. Plus, over the years I have obviously got better at grooming! I brush him at least every other day, using the comb to tease out tangles and knots, and I comb him through all over every few weeks.
What amazes me is that he sheds so much hair! Oscar didn't lose any, but I have to sweep my tiled areas every day to brush up the swirls of Hugo's hair. If he is lying on the kitchen floor and you accidentally stand on his fur, when he gets up he leaves the fur behind! I know it doesn't just come out when he brushes against you, like it does with dogs who really moult, but still, I wasn't expecting him to lose any at all. He's got a lovely thick coat, so I'm sure it's nothing medical. Does anyone else have this problem? Do some Briards shed more hair than others? Is there a difference between fawns and blacks? Is it just his age? I'd be interested in hearing other people's views.
Geoff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ruth. Hope it is nothing to worry about, because you have described Gillan exactly. My floors are mainly wood or tiled and I cannot walk anywhere in the house without picking up swirls of fur. I also find that there are times of the year that he loses more fur and has more knots. I have recently bought a red "Les Pooch's" brush and this seems to work well.

Geoff

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Geoff
Perhaps some Briards do moult after all! It's just that we got Oscar from Gilcoru and the breeder, Jan Rual, said he wouldn't moult at all and he never did! Hugo is from Wychbold and I didn't ask about the moulting, just expected him not to! I wouldn't change him for the world, though. He is a rascal, but so loving. We love the way Gillan looks and actually think Hugo looks rather like him, so if that's the price we have to pay, it's worth it!
Ruth
Komma
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Geoff how often do you comb your Briard?
Komma leaves moult if I havent combet her for a while...
But If I comb her every day than I don't see any moult :wink:
I take her to bath once a month and she looks studing :D
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi jasper is a wychbold dog and he does not moult. but he suffers from the heat winter as well so we keep him short. but oh boy it is a prob grooming.

Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brion is a Gilcoru dog, fawn, with a Belgian father, and I am amazed at how easy his coat is to manage. I have to add that it is semi clipped but it is still much easier than was Bertie's (black) which although quite coarse to the touch and brushed every day just felted and felted at skin level, though his coat was definitely getter easier at the time that he died, nearly two, when I believe it changes.. It was certainly changing colour, from black to grey. He was a Hartswelin dog.

Amanda
Sjaakje
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I groom my fawn Briard every 3 weeks. She had a very long and exellent coat.

when i groom my dogs every day there will be no hair at all on my dogs! Shocked That's something i will never do. When i see they have a little moult on 1 place i take it out by hand.

Oh, i only use a comb and not a brush, the hairs are breaking mutch faster when you use an brush.

Island Girl
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I had a black bitch from Jan at Gilcoru and sadly lost her in Sept; she was 9.5 yrs. Her coat was fairly easy to manage when long and did not need daily attention but maybe every other day or every third day to keep her knot free. She did not moult. I did get her trimmed right down in the summer as she struggled to cope with the heat but I let it grow autumn and winter time.

I have just got a fawn bitch from John and Lorraine (Triskele) and she is 14 weeks. Have just started combing her once or twice weekly so she gets used to it but can't compare anything yet as she's obviously so young. Had never heard before of some Briards moulting or that Fawn's and Black's maybe different so am interested know this Exclamation
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh what a subject, now years later from my last post. I have 5 Briards. I would say Paygan now is a nightmare to groom, so now clipped off. All the others are fine with Grooming, But I have found the fawn coat have a much thicker undercoat and harder to groom. The 3 blacks are very much easier. Dont know why Smile Blacks once a week. Fawns I could groom every day, but dont. Laughing

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk

Last edited by Shani Lunnon on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Max Jones
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Looking back through these posts, I find myself agreeing with Kay. I have fawns who can go two or three months between grooming without much problem and fawns who need to be done every week. Same colour, different textures?

The same has been true of the black Briards we have owned.
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have two fawns with totally different coats Joplins is really thick course everything a briard coat should be and an absolute nightmare for maintaining but she loves being groomed , Dylans coat which is still maturing is an absolute doddle in comparision but his undercoat is now thicking up so this may become a thing of the past - my black boy had a fantastic black coat that whilst really dense seemed easier to groom somehow but he loathed being groomed I think its down to the individual dog and not really the colour - but just an opinion

Teseny Briards
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi - I had a fawn boy who had a very thick coat but it was a doddle to keep on top of. I also have a black boy and his coat is really course and extremely dense and takes lots of grooming. Personally, I find blacks harder than fawns but it is like anything, if you do it little and often none of them are that hard to keep on top of, providing you have the correct tools.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not been on here for a long while , forgot our password:(
Steve and Jenny..............our girl Yve ( fawn) is by a belgian dog and her coat is fantastic, she is 8 and only gets brushed maybe once or twice a month , her colour is fabulous and her bite at 8 is to die for Smile
Happy new year everyone .
Ian and Sue.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile i think that every dog is differant,like us,we groom Cali every day sometimes twice aday only because she loves it ,her coat is very shiney and getting thick,her puppie fur is just starting to go,again its up to the individual and the dog and if it fits in with there life style,i took Debbie Debut advice when we went to the fun weekend, Smile
Anne Webb
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the most important thing with your briard's grooming is that it is done often enough to stop it from forming matts in the first place, a lot also does depend on if your dog is going to be a show dog, in the nicest term, as a show dogs coat really has to be nurtured so not too lose unnecessary length or condition, as a happy non shown briard can be clipped so its not quite so important to groom as regularly. From the show point of view and I know most will prefer not to go down that route it is vitally important not to let your dogs coat get wet and matted only to take a long unpleasant job sorting it out and no matter how careful you are all the undercoat and damage done to the coat cannot be repaired quickly. I have both a show dog and a non show dog and the coats are treated quite differentially. Also what they do and where they go for walks is also different unless it is dry. When you think it takes aprox 5 yrs for the dogs coat to get to the idea length and texture plus colour if a fawn. I just wonder how many dogs are not shown but are owned by regular show goers just because their coats arent as they should be, maybe just something as simple as a flea or pollen allergy can ruin the coat, or chewing the coat especially the front legs will make the dog appear unbalanced , to be fair the coat is a major part of a finished show dog and the rising costs of showing means you cant cut corners with your grooming. Show dogs know they are beautiful as do the non show ones and yes a show dog can actually have too much coat but a clever groomer/owner can thin out certain areas without it being noticed, other bits can also be done for comfort and cleanliness. As the dogs get older and haven't seen a pair of clippers the coat does get easier to groom so from the endless grooming as a 9-18mth old to by the time the dog reaches 4 the coat is a doodle. You are also of course more likely to find any problems with the skin, nails, ears and even teeth if you check weekly. If you take your briard to a groomers then you really must have it done regularly as it is quite a traumatic for both dog and groomer to expect 12 weeks of grooming to be done in a matter of hours. I know Ive done it and I cursed the very breeders who choose to breed with dogs with massive coats. Their own dogs look fantastic because more often than not they employee their own groomers, but the pet one's with huge matted coats are not, and if the coat has to be clipped off the dogs do get a complex as they pick up on their owners disappointment that the coat couldn't be saved.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow, what a lot goes into showing. I do agree that they seem to know about showing, though, and being a success. I know I've said before but we were astounded to find that Brion sat up bolt upright and just glued his eyes to the tv when Crufts was on, and that is the only time he has ever paid any attention to the tv at all. He never went to Crufts but he was certainly shown a few times as a puppy, and now he is nearly 7. He also does a show doggy prance around the village hall where I take him for Obedience classes whenever, only twice, he has won a rosette. Amazing really.
As for his coat, I have just combed and brushed him (carefully!) because his undercoat was still damp after a wet lunchtime walkl (it's now nearly 11 pm). I do find that his coat, though not too tangly or matty, does take ages and ages to dry if he gets really wet and brushing and combing seems to be the best way to get him really dry, even though he has spent hours lying in front of the Aga and the fire.
Amanda.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic