The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 BLOAT. we are so, so Lucky to still have Dillon View next topic
View previous topic
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

On Wednesday afternoon we took Dillon to the vets as he has got an ear infection, got home he had a drink and we all went outside to sit the in the shade. I was watching Dillon and he was acting very strange, I went over to him put my hands round his tummy and it was rock hard, Panic set in, phoned the vet told them Dillon had BLOATED and we were on our way. He was checked over and she said she didn't think that his tummy had twisted but there was a lot of gas in him. So we had to leave him to have x-rays done and to have a tube down his throat, and to phone them at 6pm. So off we went home dreading the worst. 6pm we phoned and thankfully he was still with us. The x-ray showed that his tummy had not twisted but there was gas in his tummy and intestines, so he would have to be taken to the overnight hospital so they could keep an eye on him and if needed they could operate straight away, so home we went again and told to 'phone again at 10pm.

So at 10pm we 'phoned to see how he was, they said they had taken him outside and had done a wee which was a good sign. They asked us to fetch him at 7.45 am and take him back to our vets.

When we picked him they said his tummy had softened a lot and that he would hopefully be OK, when to got back to our vet, she checked him again and was pleased with how he was, and we could take him home as long as we kept him quiet and only to feed him tiny amounts of food, and bring him back the next morning. He was very sorry for himself and slept most of the day, but we had got though another day.

So back to the vets and he was checked over again and his tummy was almost to normal, so as long as we kept him quiet for 2 or 3 days and only take him on short walks for another week and slowly increase his food.

So now how do we kept a 2 1/2 year dog quiet and not let him play or go on his normal walks? Oh this week is going to be fun Laughing
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Carol - I know exactly how you feel - we went through the same with Hogan when he was two only his stomach did twist, so he had to be operated on immediately. Thankfully, he did come through the other end and is now 4 and living a very normal life. The vet who performed his operation made sure she sewed his stomach to his interior wall so that if he did bloat again it wouldn't twist. I know exactly what you are going through, it is a nightmare. Hope Dillon is feeling a lot better.

Debs xx

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How terrifying for you, Carol. I'm SO pleased that Dillon has come through it!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a worry Bloat is. So glad he is on the mend.

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Carol, really glad that Dillon is ok. I never really associated bloat with drinking, although I am aware of it through eating. Will keep my eyes peeled even more now! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Now the hard part.... keeping a Briard quiet Wink

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We lost one of our dear friends to bloat. He was 3 years old. It was the most miserable time of my life so far. If it happens the quicker you can identify the issue and get them to the vets the better their chances.
Gulping air in can be one of the initiators - be it through with water or food - I'm told stress can be another.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We think it was a combination of the stress from going to the vets, the heat and then letting him have to much water when we got home.
Roz & Tim
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a horrible scare! So glad that Dillon is on the mend - great news!

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked I am sorry you had such a worrying experience. Like Maxnick, I've never connected bloating to drinking either. But as you say, the heat played a part too. And the stress. I will try and bear that in mind with Zizou. He is around the same age as Dylan, so I appreciate the challenge in trying to keep Dillon quiet for a while.

Rick, I have also taken note of your post too.

I am just hugely relieved to see that Dillon is on the mend.
chewits
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to hear about Dillon but so glad he is okay now. Good luck with the keeping him quiet lol

gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Carol, what a worry for you both, so glad all now well with Dillon. How you'll keep him quiet I have no idea - he's a teenager after all.
Gail and Roxy
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would like to say thank you for all your kind wishes, I'd just like you all to know that I'm well on the way to a complete recovery, Mom and Dad are missing their long walks, but if I run round the house they have to try and catch me as they should be keeping me quiet, but it's the only way I can think of to keep them both fit. Laughing

love Dillon xx
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's fantastic news Dillon, I'm so glad you're on the mend your Mum and Dad must be so relieved. Remember you can keep youself busy with games to use your brain hunt the treat, find the toy, name your toys and bring them by name request, learn new tricks you'll be tired too Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brenda Wilkinson wrote:
That's fantastic news Dillon, I'm so glad you're on the mend your Mum and Dad must be so relieved. Remember you can keep youself busy with games to use your brain hunt the treat, find the toy, name your toys and bring them by name request, learn new tricks you'll be tired too Very Happy

I do play those as well, but they'er not as much. Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic