The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 ITCHY BEARD!! View next topic
View previous topic
petunia
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this. Henry has been scratching his beard for a while now. He trys to rub it on bottom of chairs, stairs etc. He has been to vet and she said that bearded breeds can suffer due to beard being wet after drinking etc. He had ten days of antibiotics and we were told to wash beard in clearasil. He is still rubbing it on anything he can and is back to vet tomorrow. There is no redness or marks just a worn away beard!!!! We had our other briard for 14 years and never had this problem - also 3 lhasas who have beards and not suffered!! He did have a very thick sharp bristly hair poking out which was tweezered but no difference!!! Any suggestions appreciated!
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeap Zorro does the same is is nearly 2, and rubs up and down anything. he also drinks a lot of water and has a wet Beard all the time. Dont know why he does it. Smile He has one very sharp white Guard hair too sticking out.

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Norbert only rubs his beard - more the sides of his lower jaw - against walls etc but only for about 5/10 minutes after he has been wearing his Gentle Leader head collar. Even though it has been taken off, he must rub his chops. Confused
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

All my "bearded" dogs have always rubbed their beards/faces on furniture or even along walls that had textured surfaces. This would be after eating, drinking, playing in snow or after the gentle leader was taken off. I never thought it a problem to consult a vet.
Why antibiotics?? I don't know what's in Clearasil, but I can't imagine it's appropriate for dogs.
If there's food stuck, I wash & brush. I use one of the dog towels & rub when it's just wet but massage the muzzle when it's after a walk. I just think how it feels if I have my hair tied up/back and when I "undo" it, how good it feels to massage my head. I'm sure it's the same after having something around the muzzle & head. Give your dog a good face/head rub..... Smile
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

lizannesley wrote:
All my "bearded" dogs have always rubbed their beards/faces on furniture or even along walls that had textured surfaces. This would be after eating, drinking, playing in snow or after the gentle leader was taken off. I never thought it a problem to consult a vet.
Why antibiotics?? I don't know what's in Clearasil, but I can't imagine it's appropriate for dogs.
If there's food stuck, I wash & brush. I use one of the dog towels & rub when it's just wet but massage the muzzle when it's after a walk. I just think how it feels if I have my hair tied up/back and when I "undo" it, how good it feels to massage my head. I'm sure it's the same after having something around the muzzle & head. Give your dog a good face/head rub..... Smile

Dillon is the same as was Amber, sometimes it's just devilment or a way of getting attention. Think it's just something they like doing get the furniture all wet and dirty. Laughing
diberdee
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a thought, but how are his teeth?
If he has minor damage to a tooth or nerve, particularly in the bottom jaw, he may be rubbing to ease the discomfort.
A small crack or chip in a tooth can affect the nerve and make it tingle, like pins and needles. Obviously as it worsens you would see the usual other signs, but in very early stages you may only notice the rubbing.

Or it could just be, like Kizz, he enjoys his "after dinner Celebration" after any food or drink he rubs his chin all over whatever houshold fabric he can, be it the sofa or the carpet, there nothing better than a good rub on a full belly Rolling Eyes
petunia
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for replys! In answer to Lizzanesley response - As said have had briards before and bearded dogs so know about the face rubbing on anything possible! This is a totally different thing and is what seems to an irritation that is scraped on a surface for a period of time. Clearasil is fine for dogs and antibiotics were prescribed for a bacterial infection which can be caused by dog acne. He doesn't wear a gentle leader so not that - hoping is just going to settle as started a couple months ago so hopefully something that will disappear along with his beard which is diminishing!!!!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lizannesley wrote:
All my "bearded" dogs have always rubbed their beards/faces on furniture or even along walls that had textured surfaces. This would be after eating, drinking, playing in snow Smile
My boy, Zizou does this. He will be 3 in April.
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Many years ago old first Old English rubbed his chin /lips on walls furniture etc being white with pink skin you could see the skin was inflamed nappy rash came to mind he had a slight deformity to the roof of his mouth not easily visible but he dribbled a lot and always had a wet chin so we scissor trimmed his beard to shorten it and make it easier to keep dry we had small hand towels on hand and rubbed his beard dry regularly so much so when he had a drink he would pick up a towel and bring it to you for his face rub. His skin did calm down and he stopped rubbing his face as much as well as making visitors laugh when he appeared with his towel for his face wipe. The other thing to consider is their beards get trailed in all types of things when they are sniffing it could be something he is sensitive to from plants, grass, carpets,cleaning materials as with us some are more sensitive and a damp beard will absorb more than thicker body coat. I hope it settles down for him soon.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic