The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 BEX POORLY HELP! View next topic
View previous topic
twonky
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bex is a little poorly, all help greatly appreciated.

We went to Wales and left Bex with a friend of ours. No more than 10 minuites after we left (isn't that always the way) she threw up... an entire sock. No kidding.

You can imagine how distressing that was. When we got a signal, and the message we headed straight home. Heres our problems;

She had had a poorly tummy a few days prior (we think she dissagread with her food, so had been on chicken n rice, and had started weaning her onto her new food (Ekanuba) with it)

We don't know when, where or how long this sock was in her - we assume not long as it wasnt "digested"

She threw up her tiny dinner when she woke up at 5a.m with the sitters.

She seems fine in herself, is hungry, playfull, VERY pleased to see us, is drinking water, but her evening poo was now runny and mustardy, with almost no volume. (although she was starved most of the day and evening before this.

Our dog-sitters took her to the vets and they said that it was good the sock came up, and only feeed her a little. If it stays in her brilliant. If it doesn't bring her in tomorrow.

We wanted to know if anyone had any practical experiance of this. Is there anything extra we can do to help her.

She is only a pup (7.5 months) and we really want her to be eating properly as this is her big developmental stage.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thomas n Clare (oh and the hairy sock monster)
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, I am well experienced in the digestion of socks and gloves and parts of plastic bottles. Both Hugo and Oscar before him managed to find them on the playing fields and often I only realised when they came out, very often from the other end, and usually with no ill effects.
Last year, Hugo had a poorly tum after such an event. I rushed him to the vet when he had diarrhoea followed by several large blobs of blood, but she merely said he had upset his digestive tract.
I wouldn't panic, just do as you're doing and feed the usual boiled rice with boiled eggs or poached/steamed fish/chicken and, as you say, gradually re-introducing her normal food. Obviously, if she continues to be unwell or stops eating or drinking, then get her back to the vet.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sorry I have no advice but didn't want to read and run.

I hope the vet can find out whats wrong and that she's back to normal soon.

Last edited by Carol & Dillon on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bex and Snoopy as litter mates seem to have the eating the 'wrong' thing gene in common - oh dear.... So far Snoopy (touch wood) seems to have an iron constitution with all the things he eats that he shouldn't. I agree with previous comments, just take it slowly reintroducing normal food and don't be too worried if she goes a bit hungry for a few days. As long as she is herself and wants to eat she should be OK. But if she's not right after two or three days or if she seems at all depressed or wont eat I'd have the vet take a look. Chicken and rice, the dog miracle food!! The only problem is getting them back on to dog food afterwards when they've got a taste for 'our' food!
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I always keep this in just in case. Hope this helps. Any vets or online sell it.

Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste
Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste

Manufacturer: Protexin Veterinary

Quantity:
Protexin Prokolin+ Antidiarrhoeal Probiotic Paste is a palatable probiotic paste containing kaolin and pectin, supplied in an easy to use calibrated syringe.

Protexin Pro kolin contains probiotics which are live microbial supplements given by mouth to improve the balance of micro-organisms in the intestinal tract, combat bacterial overgrowth and aid in the resolution of diarrhoea caused by a transient imbalance of the gut flora.

They are entirely natural substances being presented in an oil base and not a water base; hence the bacteria are only activated once swallowed.

Puppies/Small dogs - 1-2ml to be given 2-3 times a day.
Large dogs - 5ml to be given 2-3 times a day.
Give by mouth or as directed by Veterinary Surgeon.

Available in a 15ml, 30ml or a 60ml syringe

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just given Zizou some ProKolin just this second. I always keep it around. I hope by the time you see this, Bex has picked up enormously.

PS In the summer, Zizou got really unwell and the vet gave us tubes of Canikur Pro. I have not looked online for it yet, as I have still some left. Zizou was given this when the Prokolin wasn't helping, but he also needed antibiotics and an injection as it was some kind of bug he'd picked up. Perhaps it was more the anitbiotics and the injection that healed him. Wink
jenny
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If the vets have been seen and they are happy then I would suggest a very bland diet of fish and rice. I would avoid chicken as it may be uncomfortable in being swallowed as socks coming back up are not good. I would take Bex back if it doesn't settle down and ask for an x-ray to see if there is something else in there that she has eaten.
Good standbys are Canikur and Pro-kalin also Paediatric Kaolin for children

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have no advice, but just wanted to say, get well soon to Bex.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all!

You'll all be pleased to know that bex is doing well! She's had two small meals of chicken n rice with a little eukanuba. And its all stayed inside her! Not sure what's going to appear down the other end yet, but im going to get some pro-biotic in preparation!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy thank you for this heartening news. I'm very pleased. Go Bex. XX
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad Bex is improving. It's a bit of a nightmare isn't it trying to sort out digestive upsets Rolling Eyes

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I'm so happy that Bex is on the mend.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great to hear Bex is getting better. It's such a worry when they're ill.
twonky
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thought I'd give y'all a little update, Bex's back end wasnt so good yesterday, perhaps a bit too much food too soon.... so i took her to the vets, got the probiotic and shes on nothing but chicken and rice unil after the w'end.

The vet was hopefull that this alone would do the trick, then a very very slow introduction onto food again...

She has been bouncing about like a loon today! nothing wrong with her spirit!

Let see how we go!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Slowly is definitely the answer with these things!!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Agree with Jill. Zizou was on chicken and rice for over two weeks during the summer. Again, I am so pleased to hear Bex is spirited.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou wrote:
Agree with Jill. Zizou was on chicken and rice for over two weeks during the summer. Again, I am so pleased to hear Bex is spirited.

Bet it was fun getting him back on dog food!! On the being spirited thing I have a friend who reckons as long as a dog will take a gravy bone it's basically OK!

Last edited by Ossie's Jill on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm sure it's just a minor setback. These things sometimes do take a little while to settle down again and I'm sure her young age is a factor. Glad she's OK in herself, that's a positive sign. Hope she's fully recovered soon.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ossie's Jill[/quote]

On the being spirited thing I have a friend who reckons as long as a dog will take a gravy bone it's basically OK![/quote]

Now that I DO like. Very Happy Zizou once sliced his tongue and there blood everywhere making it look like a murder scene, yet, he took a gravy bone. At the time, I could not believe it, but, there you go.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As long as Bex is bouncing around, then I am sure it is nothing serious.
I have the same with Ina at the moment, she is on sensitive food, as she had a bout of colitis & her tummy grumbling this morning at too early o'clock could have woken Rip Van Winkle Rolling Eyes, however she seems fine otherwise.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hope Ina's tummy is better soon.
twonky
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well here we are many months later and Bex is all A.O.K.

We where on and off chicken and rice whilst slowly adding various different dog foods slowly for what seemed like an eternity, time seems to fly by when your doing this and every time we got to about a 50/50 dig food with chicken and rice Bex's stomach just said NO!

Just after christmas we had really decided that this just wasnt working and so we took her back to the vets. He suggested one last food to try before we either put her on a chicken, rice and supplement diet or a very expensive gastro-intestinal food.

So we tried the Eukanuba large breed rich in Lamb and rice.... and BINGO!! Job done! whats even more amazing is that we have since then introduced other bits and pieces to her - biscuits, bits of meat pork scratching, jumbones and all seems fine. We have also moved her onto the standard Eukanuba large breed (as its a bit cheaper) and that's worked out fine too!

So if anyone ever has a Briard with tummy trouble try Eukanuba rich in Lamb and Rice! Thank you all for your help through this though, its funny how you do start to tear your hair out!!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Os spent his entire life on Eukanuba large breed and seemed to do very well on it. Snoopy is on a mix at the moment which includes Eukanuba large breed puppy. Glad to hear Bex is now doing well. Is she like Snoopy being rather 'teenage' at the moment?

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha! Bex is a little "teenage" but not too bad. She mainly objects from coming inside from the garden and getting down from the sofa. She also defiantly takes instruction from me much more than my fiancee Clare. So much so that Clare thinks she may be plotting to "do her in" although I believe that she just wanted a cuddle rather than her trying to smother her!

Is Snoopy as lively as Bex? Bex will play 24hrs a day if she could, and dosent seem to understand when other dogs are telling her to back off, she just goes back for more play!!

Thomas
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With Snoopy the teenage bit is mainly not coming back to be put on the lead. And yes he'd play all day given the chance. He is starting to learn which dogs will play with him but doesn't really 'get it' or approve when they wont. He is very much Steve's dog but that I think is because he plays with him more. Unlike Os he is only interested in things that directly relate to him like play and food, Os was interested in everything going on around him. If nobody will play with Snoopy or feed him he sleeps.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I find similar behavior when off the lead on a walk, she dosent like her lead being put on very much at all! In fact she is so poor on the lead that I've resorted to a halti head collar!

Bex however sounds a bit more active, in that she is more than happy to play with herself! Give her a toy and she'll throw it around for hours, then sleep like a log!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Snoopy is awful on the lead, we've tried but he just doesn't seem to get it at all. We tried a Halti with Os but he really hated it. We have a harness which is meant to stop pulling for Snoopy which does help. He does play on his own a bit but he SO loves any attention which makes brushing him easy!

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have found over recent years, that quite a few dogs seem now to be showing problems with digesting chicken (perhaps its just been over-used as the bog standard cure-all - just something to be aware of) - neither of my briards could tolerate it other than in tiny quantities - but both were absolutely fine on lamb and rice and lived heir whole lives with me on Burgess Supadog Sensitive lamb and rice - no wheat, no soya, no dairy.

Don't know if anyone else has had similar issues, but just another thought for consideration.

Nikki
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Although our experience is that Os was fine on the same food all his life there is a school of thought that feeding the same food without change can cause sensitivities to develop. I also wonder about many foods which contain 'chicken' which is in the form of 'meal' or other questionable sources. Most foods will be using carcasses or by products from battery chickens which will have been treated with all sorts of drugs. Worth thinking about when you choose your food but I do get that cost is a big factor.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad that Bex is finally ok in the tummy dept' Very Happy
Our dogs can't tolerate chicken, so we stick to salmon & potato kibble which seems ok for the moment (touching wood here!).
Hope she continues to do well.
We also tried Burgess sensitive which was great for one dog, but the other has had colitis all her life & we have finally got her on salmon & potato, so it is easier to get 2 dogs on the same food. We wanted to get all 3 on the same food, but sadly our Bichon now has kidney trouble & is on a prescription diet (just as we thought we could get all 3 on the same food Rolling Eyes )

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dillon doesn't tolerate chicken to well, but he doesn't really like chicken anyway.

We found Greens Holistic dog food which he has been on for a few months and he love it, we give him the Trout, Salmon and veg. and Lamb and Rice he loves them, clean bowl every time, no funny tummy.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had a look at Green dog food and it does look good. It's not too expensive either compared to similar products. I'll look into it further if the Applaws isn't suiting Hugo. The only thing is, I can't find what percentage meat makes up in their food (I want 60-75%) and they don't seem to do a senior version, they just recommend feeding less and adding fresh veg. It's definitely one to consider, though.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ruth Richardson wrote:
I've had a look at Green dog food and it does look good. It's not too expensive either compared to similar products. I'll look into it further if the Applaws isn't suiting Hugo. The only thing is, I can't find what percentage meat makes up in their food (I want 60-75%) and they don't seem to do a senior version, they just recommend feeding less and adding fresh veg. It's definitely one to consider, though.

Salmon and trout Additional Information
Ingredients
Trout 27%, Salmon 23%, Pea 19%, Sweet Potato 10%, Potato 8%, Lentils & Herbs 7%, Potato starch, Linseed, Carrot, Tomato, Spinach, Cranberry, Salmon Oil.

Lamb and Rice Additional Information
Macro nutrients
Lamb (28% dry 61% fresh*), whole white rice, vegetables and herbs (15%), whole brown rice (14%), whole oats, whole barley, lamb fat.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Carol. Food for thought!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd be a bit wary of some senior foods. I went into it for Os and there is so much debate as to whether older dogs need more or less protein that we ended up not feeding him senior food. Given his particular problems we gave him a coat supplement and if the dog has joint problems I'd use something for that. If a dog continues to thrive on a food I'd tend to watch their weight and leave well alone!!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic