The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Merlin View next topic
View previous topic
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Merlin is still hanging in there
Has anyone had dealings with an illness known as EPI
If so please contact me
Many thanks
Kevin
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh no! I've looked it up, and read the gory details of what you and Merlin have been going through. It seems that he and you have been really brave. I for one wouldn't blame you if you have to make the agonising decision to call it a day. We thought, and our vet clearly thought, that Brion's toe cancer was not going to go away in the summer, and we had decided that if his final op didn't clear it, he would have no more treatment. Thankfully he has recovered but I think it is a mercy for dogs that we can decide to spare them too much suffering. Just so very painful for us. Amanda
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sure you've seen this site but just in case you haven't http://www.epi4dogs.com/
Good Luck
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, while I wouldn't wish this dreadful disease on poor Merlin, I do hope they have finally found something which they can treat and restore his quality of life, and you get to have him with you for longer. Everything crossed xxxx
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ruth Richardson wrote:
Well, while I wouldn't wish this dreadful disease on poor Merlin, I do hope they have finally found something which they can treat and restore his quality of life, and you get to have him with you for longer. Everything crossed xxxx

Ditto. xxxx
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend's list of questions needing answers.
Was Merlin ok before the surgery?
When did the symptoms start?
What tests has he had to confirm any diagnosis?
What is the diagnosis?
Is the vet you are dealing with the one who did the surgery?
Have they xrayed him and done an ultrasound to make sure nothing is going on inside?
He should have had all the screening.

Now I know there was another thread, but my friend feels you are being badly let down by the vet/vets and she is, like everyone, desperate to get something sorted out; therefore it would be easier to have these answers all in the one place.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin, I've sent you a PM
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry carol
But what is a PM
I'm stupid
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Kevin, Private Message, it's on the top bar written in red next to where you log in. Just in case you have trouble this all it was, I got it from another Pet Forum.

Havent had a dog with it personally, but a friend had one who I looked after on occasion. The pancreas doesn't make the enzymes needed for breaking down various things in the food like fats, carbohydrates proteins etc, so the
dog usually suffers from malabsorbtion and weightloss. They usually pass lots of large greasy really smelly motions too, and you can sometimes get diarrhoea and vomiting or until its treated anyway. It often comes with small intestine bacterial overgrowth too a lot of the time.

Main treatment is diet, given in smaller regular meals her dog was put on a tinned prescription diet from memory it was the Hills prescription ID and she has to have the enzymes she was lacking put on her food in the form of a powder which I think was called pancrex although there is several types now.
Sometimes they need a long course of antibiotics at the start if they have the small intestinal bacteria overgrowth aswell that often comes with it, and some will need B12 injections too if they have a deficiency in that.

He should have had a TLI blood test to establish the EPI and along with it a
B12/Folate test to check the B12 and for SIBO and probably a fecal test too.

Her dog on the diet and enzymes was fine for many years, she died at getting on for 15 if I remember rightly, but not from the EPI I think it was a form of cancer in the end.

Give Merlin a BIG hug for me,

Carol
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Patricia
I will try to answer what I can, firstly though I've just back from another vet who has looked at Merlin.
The lump that medivet said was the end for Merlin does not now appear to be evident (can't be found, has passed through him, has moved somewhere else that can't be found now but is still there somewhere, was not a problem when it was found last week) I can only go by what I have been told today, & it has a enormous relief for now.
That being said I'm not so nieve as to think everything is ok, it's far from that!
Merlin's weight is the same as when this vet had last seen him, his healthy weight was @ 32Kg+ but is now (this is a shocker) 22Kg.
The only truly good thing to come out of this visit is that this vet did not say this is the end, which has given us hope that Merlin could & can be saved, God willing.
We have come away with some tablets for the potential of EPI, as there is nothing to be lost & maybe everything to be gained.
We may also start a course of much stronger steroids OR try an experimental drug for intestinal problems among others such as skin problems & alergies?
I may tonight actually sleep for the first times in months.
Still things to do though for Merlin
Now for your questions

Was Merlin ok before the surgery? About a week before he started with poor poohs, very watery green in colour and smelly, before that he was fine.

When did the symptoms start? Sorry but that info is in the diarrhea posts and l mighty loss this post.

What tests has he had to confirm any diagnosis? If I'm honest there has been no definite diagnosis as we don't appear to be targeting an illness as such but trying to stop poor poohing so he can gain weight.

What is the diagnosis? See above

Is the vet you are dealing with the one who did the surgery? It had been, but our last consult was when they said they could do no more and when he was too weak bring him back to have him put to sleep.
It was not as cold as I've written, but the only difference in reality was the compassion the news was delivered with, now though this 'new' vet (with been 3 times now) has at least given has hope, IF that proves to be true we will not be VERY happy at all with medivet!

Have they xrayed him and done an ultrasound to make sure nothing is going on inside? here. This is difficult Merlin had and enitial xray which showed up the bits of ball, when the mass was found last week it was suggested to have an ultrasound, however we were told that if this showed another blockage he would not survive further surgery due to his weight loss and if it was a cancerous mass he wouldn't survive anyway due to that diagnosis what was the point of doing this, we're we wrong to not do this I honestly don't know?
I hope this is of help
As always many many thanks for all of everyone's concern
Kevin
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Again from another Pet Forum

for a lot of epi dogs a grain free diet is reccomended.

my friends gsd has epi and she has the enzymes sprinkled on her food but she was on hills id but is now on beta and chappie as it seems to suit her better.

one thing to try and boost is the immune system as they can be prone to immune issues. narla has had epi issues for over 5 years and is still going strong at 9 years old

Last edited by Carol & Dillon on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin, I really hope that this new vet is finally giving you something positive, (sounds like it). Lets hope & pray that Merlin gets all the right treatment. I really hope you now feel a little better after all you have been through.
I can't puet into words how I feel about the previous treatment you have had Evil or Very Mad
Bucket loads of white light being sent for Merlins recovery.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh, so glad other people have posted much more positively than me. I think it is especially encouraging to read of dogs that have lived with this thing for years, so hoping now that that is what it is. Amanda
galaxy7
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin,

some 20 years ago we had an Old English with EPI, although not called EPI then I seem to remember. We were lucky we had a brilliant vet and we used the enzyme and Eukanuba food, Maggie (her name) lived for years after!

We eventually had to put her to sleep because of chronic arthritis, the EPI was not an issue!

We did not have insurance and the enzyme and food were expensive but well worth it!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you both, but I believe now that you have a diagnosis everything will me fine.

Steve, Helen and Sophie the Briard!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Kevin for answering my interrogation like that. My friend just fired these questions out as she, like all of us, wants to understand what has been going on in order to know exactly what Merlin has had to cope with.

Take care and love to both of you. x
jenny
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin, at last you have an answer which as I suggested in my post of 8th October in your original thread it turned out to be. This is a common problem in German Shepherds and I would suggest that you look at the following http://www.ufaw.org.uk/EXOCRINEPANCREATICINSUFFICIENCYGSD.php
this is an English site so all information will be relevant to this Country.
I would also advise you to inform the breeder of this as there is a line of thinking that suggests it is/might be hereditry.
It is a treatable BUT lifelong condition and you will need to have the utmost trust and confidence in your vet and NOT be swayed by any diet change suggested by anyone, as that could cause a major relapse.
Hope all levels out and Merlin is back to his old self soon. If you live in the North/East London area I can highly recommend Palmerston Road Vets at Buckhurst Hill. They were the first if not one of the first vets to be given hospital status back in the late 60's and they were our vets for 40 odd years.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is not my I intension to give the wrong impression, but we do not as yet know Merlin IS suffering from EPI
We have been given the tablets to deal with this condition in the hope it helps, they also help with irritable bowel syndrome.
We are waiting to to how he progresses.
If I'm honest I'm not holding out too Much hope as and don't think I can handle such bad news again.
We as ever will always pray things do turn around
Many thanks
Kevin
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fingers and paws crossed for Merlin and you. Hope you are starting to get to the bottom of his illness.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic