The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Codgers unite View next topic
View previous topic
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have discovered a very happy new occupation for Brion. I now share an allotment with a friend. I took Brion up today, walking up through the back paths of the village where I live, and he clearly just loved lying amidst it all, chewing a chew, and then swinging back down the paths, talking to the delightful old men (codgers if I may so call them, none too accurately because they are all the most amazingly fit and brilliant gardeners - Tom, who handed over half his allotment to us is 83 and a complete genius). The muzzle's finally off and Brion has now become Mr Sociable, nudging hopefully alongside his fellow codgers, hoping for pats, or even a biscuit. Amanda
Nicola
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh it sounds idyllic. I made the mistake of taking on a full sized overgrown allotment and a Briard puppy at the same time (what was I thinking?!). Obviously the Briard won. Nowadays Dylan loves watching me garden from the safety of the summerhouse (sanctuary from the scary bees). I keep expecting Dylan to turn into a laid back old codger, but at the moment he's eight going on three.
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is because the codgers have left the rat race behind and are relaxed and easy going and dogs respond to that.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Brion, amazingly it seems, is nine and a half now and can still get up a pretty effective gallop if off lead and has spotted dogs on the horizon before us. The only difference now is that by the time he gets there he is fairly out of puff and so - on the few not to be repeated, hopefully, times he has achieved this feat in the last year - by the time we get there, Dinah (who of course has gone with him, thinking it a great game) we find Dinah whizzing round in circles chasing the poor dog or dogs, and Brion just sitting watching and occasionally lumbering into action. Fortunately on each occasion, the dogs being chased have been robust and the owners likewise but - what spoilsports we are - we have reverted to keeping Brion on the lead in public places because we realise that we would just be teachiing Dinah to act as a marauding pack with Brion if we let this happen regularly, and young Dinah needs little encouragement to maraude!
That's why Brion's happiness at the allotment, where I took him for a treat all on his own, was such a joy! Amanda
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds fantastic for him, perhaps he is now getting to the 'allotment stage' himself Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic