The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Shaggy dog Story View next topic
View previous topic
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Nikki! Thanks for taking the time to type such a lengthy update. We all really appreciate it. Sounds like Marlowe is a very lucky boy. Looking forward to regular updates of how all of your dogs are doing and lots of photos when that little addition arrives!
diberdee
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A Message from Sheila Cann:

Hello all,

Well, we all met up yesterday in Devizes to be there for the transfer of this wonderful and happy little lad.

I can honestly say that he made all involved SO proud of his presence and personality, and his ability to love everyone, everything, and how he adjusts to all the situations that Debs Mackay has thrown at him, he responds to her so well, all he wants to do is please everyone including her 4 Briards.. He absolutely adored our Retriever, Bonnie, well everyone does, but thought she would make a lovely wife, so we stopped that ! (when does this castration thing kick in, if ever ?!)

His new owner is Nicki Wilson, who I have known through rescue for over 14 years, first time we met was yesterday and in these circumstances, it was a lovely meeting. Nikki and now Marlow , live in Harrogate, Yorkshire, and she is a qualified canine behaviourist, and takes in dogs and walks them and is totally "doggy" !!!! She is also having a Briard puppy soon, for our boy to teach how to be wonderful and friendly and irresistible

This has been such a rewarding experience, I have never regretted my decision in the wee small hours to bring him to the U.K., but without Debs it would have been so much more difficult. she has allowed Marlow to join in to her life, and boy, how he loved her. So, once again, thank you to her and to our Cyprus friends and Brenda for the fund-raising and to all our friends on this site and the people at Crufts and everyone who backed this initial decision.

You are a fabulous crowd, I know I said this before but it definitely deserves another mention and a huge thank you to one and all.

lots of love and thanks again and again,
Sheila x
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is so lovely to hear the updates & his journey through it all.
Sheila, can I say a big thank you for helping this dog & spending your own money. I am proud to be part of this site. Very Happy

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Nikki, I have been following the shaggy dog story, glad to hear he has fallen on all four paws to have a wonderful new life in the uk with you and his new play mates. Yes you can come and meet us all at Carlisle , it would be great to see Marlow and I know Brenda would be delighted to see him after her fund raising. All being well and the young lad who comes with video camera you and Marlow will be on this site and you tube as a thank you to those who contributed to his new life.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a quick update on Marlowe - currently asleep on my bed while I slave away at the computer - that sort of thing happens a lot in this household!!

He has settled in beautifully, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying his new life, can hardly remember what it was like not to have him now.

Patch, having established that he is in charge early on, has now decided that he's not so bad after all and has, on occasion, been witnessed chasing him round the fields in a happy manner (not bad for 13 1/2!)

He is now spending most of his time out walking (about 2 1/2 hrs yesterday) off lead. I only put him on when we see dogs I don't know, in case he is too enthusiastic for them, but he has made his own introductions to my friends giant schnauzers.

I think he seems to be bright enough to temper his enthusiasm with a little caution,bounding up, but then stopping and not overwhelming the other dog initially. He is also very good at being told by older dogs etc that they don't want to play, and leaving them alone, without any hard feelings.

He also seems to have quite a short piece of elastic, and bounds back to check on me regularly - all to the good - and we have been taking the clicker (plus emergency squeaky ball) and doing lots of recall and then "off you go".

One of my customer's young daughters told me the other day that he looked like a 'film star' - and I know what she means, he does have a look of all those cute, slightly disreputable looking dogs on TV, where they pack suitcases, rescue small children, carry messages etc - I'm sure he'd give all those things a go!

He's getting plenty to eat (supplemented only occasionally from the work surfaces when I have been less than vigilant!), and his weight last week was 19.9kg. I think he should fill out at about 24/25, but he will never be chunky.

I am looking into local agility training at the moment, as I think he would be fab at it - he has tonnes of energy, is eager to please and is just the right kind of 'bendy' to do weave poles! - I only hope that I can haul my decrepit frame round fast enough with him! - will let you know!

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a lovely (and briardy) Easter.

Lots of love

Marlowe, Patch and Nikki xxx
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Nikki.... Thanks for the update on Marlowe he sounds a lovely happy boy, I'm so glad he is settling in so well. Very Happy
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nikki thank you so much for posting about Marlowe on the site. He sounds like he has settled in really well. Thank you to everyone who was involved in getting Marlowe to his new forever home. So nice to have a happy ending.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. So good to have a happy ending story. Looking forward to some photos when possible.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lovely to hear how Marlowe is getting on. He sounds like he has settled in really well. Very Happy
Would love to see pictures too Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for keeping us all up to date, Marlowe sounds like he's settled in really well with you all.
Gail
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So lovely to hear he is doing so well , it brings a tear to the eye knowing he is so happy Very Happy Very Happy

Teseny Briards
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yvonne Holland wrote:
So lovely to hear he is doing so well , it brings a tear to the eye knowing he is so happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ditto Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic