The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 The Fun Weekend View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've decided to be brave, and am in the process of signing Dinah up for pre-beginner and beginner obedience! I took her for a lesson today with a local trainer because I knew we were rusty and am also nervous as to whether she will cope with other dogs at close quarters in a ring. I must admit that I thought that she would be well up with the obedience itself (I am ridiculously proud of her send aways and that funny exercise when you walk backwards and forwards apparently casting your dog off as you go into a sit, lie and stand, collecting her at appropriate moments. She does all this brilliantly, I thought ,note the 'thought',, in our garden).
Anne, the obedience trainer, was tact itself and really brilliant at showing me how it is really done, and of course I discovered that even our heel walking is not really up to scratch. I was just pleased that Dinah was roughly near to my heel and concentrating. . .
So we are going to keep on practising and actually I will be over the moon if Dinah just stays cool throughout and enjoys herself as much as she was today with Anne. Isn't it amazing how easy the pros make it look? Anne's obedience with Dinah and mine are not quite the same thing but I did enjoy seeing how Dinah enjoyed the lesson. And I definitely have a standard to aim for.
Amanda

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"I am ridiculously proud of her send aways and that funny exercise when you walk backwards and forwards apparently casting your dog off as you go into a sit, lie and stand, collecting her at appropriate moments"

This sounds interesting Amanda. I don't think we learned that in our obedience classes...... is it easy to explain or better to actually demonstrate?
Can I also ask if in the past Dinah used to want to walk ahead of you when on the lead? And if so how did you get her to walk to heel? Despite our best efforts, Badger seems to believe that he was put on this earth to walk ahead of us so he can check for danger. This gets worse when we're walking on a busy road as he is quite scared of heavy London traffic. He only tucks himself behind me if he gets really scared. Walking to heel in the obedience class was a doddle - he was the star of the class (okay, the rest were puppies!!!) no traffic and no danger in his eyes. But we haven't been able to transfer that to real life walking, apart from a very familiar route (eg to the park) at a very quiet time - which in London is practically midnight....... and then there are lots of fox smells which is another problem altogether.....
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Walking ahead to protect us? Badger sounds much more of a gent than young Dinah, who simply pulled because she wanted to be off that pesky lead (and we had foolishly but fondly let her learn the delights of freedom too soon and too often). Dinah used to pull so hard, especially if she saw anything interesting that she wanted to tow me over to, that it once took me and a friend who is a serious horse rider, able to manage enormous headstrong hunt horses, to stop her, both together clinging on to the lead for dear life! I think I could be categorised as someone who has made almost every Briard owning mistake there is to make, and had almost every heart stopping moment there could be, and who has really only one virtue as an owner: perserverance, and good advisors!
I think that the current 'not bad' walking to heel, and sometimes pretty good, has come with age and with lots of sessions of Brenda's recommended method, of taking her home when she was pulling (definitely not followed consistently because too often I just needed to walk her). I find the Dogmatix headcollar has been invaluable too because it made her manageable, and I have at my lowest moment emailed Brenda to say 'this is not fun at all', after a walk of appalling pulling, resulting in a very painful shoulder. Also a long spell of only being walked on a long lead and not going off lead at all helped mightily.
Also my being as proactive as possible to prevent deer chasing (which is what made Dinah go completely loony). She didn't do anything too dreadful in that she showed no sign of wanting to catch them and actually returned quite quickly so I thought that was maybe OK, but once - I fear I have proved a much slower learner than Dinah - I realised that any sight or smell of a deer made Dinah quite unmanageable on a lead I began to take a much more sensible approach to walking her, and would take her home the minute she got wind of one. that was just Dinah's issue, it doesn't sound like Badger's.
I think I remember Dinah's breeder saying that Briards don't like to walk to heel Labrador style (apologies Linda if I have misremembered)- which seems to be your experience - because they are long striding and like to have a good view, and so I must also admit that my definition of acceptable walking to heel is not pulling, rather than being glued to my heel. Although - as I said at the beginning of this thread - di and I are now practising obedience test style heel walking, which the lady I took her to yesterday has given me handling tips for that specific scenario because, again, Di's obedience class heel walking while not pulling would have won me no points.
I think I will see you tomorrow at the Ttouch, which I much look forward to, though I will be late because I have to take a friend to Gatwick first.
amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would also add, I hope helpfully, that in my case stopping full time work has made a phenomenal difference because when I was working long hours (and Dinah, like brion, refused to leave the house with our chosen dog walker and so we had to settle for a friend just coming in once a day and letting the dogs play in the garden for 30 mins) I think she was shut up for far too long and so stir crazy when I walked her, as I did, before and after work but rarely with time to concentrate too much on good heel walking.
Also we have moved house (both change of work and house move were partly because of Dinah's clear distress with the old system) to somewhere where I can safely let her off lead for a good gallop, normally anyway, when I am not long leading her, and that destresses her a lot too.
Amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh and, instead of going on about what is really just my particular situation which is prob not applicable remotely to Badger, sorry, Brenda's invaluable tip about managing pulling on the lead was to stop every time the dog pulls, and refuse to continue until the dog returns to your side. Although this took us ages to master, that is definitely the method that has worked with Dinah. Now whenever I stop, she shoots back to my side (and if very keen to get off and walking rapidly forgets again, so I stop, she shoots back, she pulls, etc etc, and we do a funny sort of progress but a HUGE improvement on the past).
amanda

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a very quick reply re the TTouch course. I sent you a text earlier saying that I plan to make myself known to Laura and Pinel so hopefully they can point you out to me. Don't know how crowded it will be or how possible it will be to speak to them but we can always text each other. My mobile is 07736 922 305.
Hopefully see you tomorrow!
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes! 077904 27559 mine. A

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic