The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Dinah MUCH improved View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all, really anyone who might read this and be tempted to despair, as I certainly have been with young Di - impossible neck wrenching pulling on the lead, train chasing, deer chasing, car chasing, jogger chasing, scaring off other dogs, scaring off people she had taken a dislike to. . .
Slowly, slowly, I think my mindset is changing, and so is hers. she now barely pulls on the lead, and definitely tries hard not to, she is an absolute delight to walk in our lovely woods, choosing to interact with me rather than to bomb off into the distance.
I hope I won't bore if I describe our walk yesterday. We went back to an old stamping ground, a field which borders a busy railway line (well fenced). In the past I couldn't stop her from chasing the trains if she was any distance away from me when one appeared. Yesterday she was sniffing happily at a r reasonable distance from me when one came clattering along. She stopped, looked at me. I called, and she came back. Then we played a game with her tuggy toy (about which more later). We walked on, her sniffing or me throwing balls for her, her playing in the river, and we headed back. I had stupidly left my bag of dog treats in the car, so made a decision that I never would have done in the past - being fixated with the idea that she must get as much off lead exercise as possible - that since more trains would definitely come and we had just got it right, I wouldn't risk any more, especially as Dinah is now very keen on her treats as rewards. So I put her on her long lead, and we ambled back, this time right by the track. Several trains duly clattered by - whic she flinched back from a bit, bearing out the general theory that much of Dinah's less acceptable behaviour has stemmed from slight anxiety - and I called her back and played a tuggy toy game each time. And home we went!!
I can't thank Moina Van der Heiden - who was the obedience judge at the Briard Fun Weekend and Open Show - enough, and also Diane Goodall, owner of beautiful Briard girls Golly and Lilac, who is a most patient encourager of me. I take Dinah weekly to working obedience lessons with Moina, and diane brings Lilac too. Moina is helping me and Dinah massively. She just gets her totally and uses only positive methods - hence the tuggy toy - and superb timing and understanding of how she ticks.. Dinah and I are improving a lot at our obedience exercises, (and old Brion for that matter - who will now retrieve a dumbell, which he never would before) but for me that most valuable thing of all is that it is improving my general understanding of how to handle Dinah.
If anyone lives anywhere remotely near to Coulsdon I can't recommend Moina's teaching too highly and I have now taken Dinah to what must be about a record number of trainers and behaviourists.
Do hope this is of interest to some, although of course the best thing would be if no one else needs to learn as much as me about handing Briards!
Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amanda, sounds very positive. Love hearing their antics etc Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done, both of you! Sounds like you are doing really well!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic