The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Briard claws View next topic
View previous topic
Hamish
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm having trouble with my briards claws. Can anyone recommend the correct clippers to use and if possible give me the name or website of a supplier.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello if you google Hub International go down the side menu for nails and look at Ref:3599 large nail clipper they shoildl do the job. Best to cut a little and often than cut too much off and make them bleed. I assume you mean the dew claws as the normal claws should wear down with exercise. Hope this helps

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for that info. It's all his claws as we are in the country and he's mainly on soft ground. We didn't realise the quick receded gradually if we were to keep taking a wee bit off. We were taking him to the vet two or three times a year, but although we felt they were still too long she couldn't cut too much off and didn't tell us to come back every few weeks. Last time she cut the quick and we had real problems. We can hear his claws clattering on hard surfaces and are back to vet next Wednesday as he is limping with one leg.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have just clipped our two Briards' claws, which I have realised definitely need doing, although the young one walks a fair amount on the road and so I had assumed was OK. We took the old one to the vet because we could hear his nails clicking, but I must admit that the nails still look very long (he now walks very little outside his home and garden), so I am doing his too myself. I use a pretty standard pair of clippers that I got at the pet shop, and they are slicing smoothly through the nail. the problem, I find, is the worry of cutting into the quick, but so far so good. I have just Googled the subject and discovered that if they have got too long, like ours have, the best thing is to keep nibbling away at the ends every few weeks, with lots of titbits. I do feel bad not having done this before but I must admit that I grew up in a home with dogs and their nails were never clipped (but then their poos were never picked up either) and so I never thought about it. Clearly it does need doing with our two and of course it is particularly hard to spot under their furry feet. I am glad that Brenda says that they shouldn't normally need doing; that makes me feel less neglectful. HOpe, Hamish, you have solved your problem. amanda

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amanda,
We did exactly the same as you. We hadn't realised the quick would recede if the claws were clipped more often. Hamish had a back problem for 6 months last year and couldn't exercise so I think this is where the problem started. His X Ray showed some arthritis but I'm convinced the limp he has now is due to the claws. At least I hope it is although the vet is sceptical. At least I can do something about it now but like you I feel guilty. I'm getting them clipped once a month now so will keep you posted.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hamish, you have probably 'nailed' the problem by now but I have just had quite a shock because although I kept nibbling away at our old boy's claws I never took very much off at a time, and they seemed to be getting longer and longer and I was nervous to cut too deep. Yesterday I came in to find him feeling very sorry for himself indeed, licking and licking at one toe and very reluctant to walk at all. The claw was definitely t oo long but, as I said, I had got a bit used to it. I took him to the vet this time, who was very nice but clearly fairly horrified at the length of the claws, and clipped them all, taking about half their length off on some toes, causing him to bleed with one. As she checked his toes it became all too clear why he was so unhappy about one of them, he had a nailbed infection which was oozing pus.
I felt awful to have missed this and not clipped more determinedly. The good news is that once the claws were thoroughly clipped Brion, the old boy, recovered his mojo instantly. He is on fierce antibiotics now but he recovered before they could have taken effect.
Although I feel bad I have to add that I had asked a different vet for help over what I was sure were over-long claws, and she had said they were fine, so I think that not all vets are as prepared to get down on the floor, as this one was, and do battle with some pretty tough old nails.
Now I must keep on clipping, so I would say don't let them get too long.
Amanda

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amanda,
We feel exactly the same. Hamish is now going to the groomer once a month to have his claws cut and for the first time in ages they don't touch the floor. He's still limping a bit so we're not quite there yet but another two clips should do it
Carole

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad you have an expert to help. Amanda

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic