The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 What do you do with your briard? View next topic
View previous topic
newnamesg
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you have agility there?
The sheepherding places?
Obedience or rally?
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, At present I do obedience, what is called working obedience, which is very precise, and our lovely trainer is working hard on my precision and my dog, Dinah's, control of her back legs!
There are lots of agility classes and also working trials (outdoor - tracking, a different sort of obedience, scaling walls etc, barking on command) round where I live. Those have proved a bit beyond us, but are certainly available.
That is just in my area, in rural Surrey/Sussex. Amanda

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. That's good to know. I should be able to find something then.
It does appear as if we will be moving there, so since he's still a puppy, I want to keep him involved while he is still young.

Do you have fleas and ticks and heartworms there?
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Jeena & I have just passed the Kennel Club Gold Good Citizen course and now considering the Platinum. I would have loved to do agility when I was younger but would never be able to keep up now! I don't know if we have sheep herding in this area, but then we are in the city.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, fleas, ticks and lungworm, and a few other nasties that our vet warns us about! Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We live in a town and I know people who do obedience, agility, heelwork to music, flyball and rally. There are often TV programmes showing sheepherding, but I don't know if this is just farmers and their border collies or whether other dogs can ever get involved!
newnamesg
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like we should be able to find something for him to do.

We don't have any of the sheep places near us now, but where we lived when we first were waiting for him, there were a lot. Now we would have to go a few hours drive and they have weekend workshops. They work with their natural instinct. I'm not sure how much 'training' they do to corral them after they take off. I just think he would really enjoy it.

And our other dog already does agility, so unless we have a nice country house, he'll probably get bored quickly.
newnamesg
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Amanda Elsdon-Dew wrote:
Yes, fleas, ticks and lungworm, and a few other nasties that our vet warns us about! Amanda

Yuck. I've never heard of lungworm.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's a nasty thing which they can get from slugs and snails in the garden. Our first briard, Oscar, would eat snails if he accidentally stood on them and squashed them, but he was never ill. I think there are more incidences of lungworm in the south. You can protect your dog from it. I wormed Finlay monthly until he was 12 months old to make sure he was protected while he was at the inquisitive stage!
kathy morgan
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lungworm is quite bad in some areas of the south - they can get it just from eating grass where the snail has travelled (the slime presumably) I am surprised that your vet Amanda hasn't 'encouraged' you to buy the wormer that does lungworm as well (twice the price). I put it off until a dog twenty miles away was operated on for something only to find it riddled with lungworm. Luckily they cleared them all out and continued to treat the dog and she is fine.

What with that and Alabama Rot we seemed to be getting some real nasties now.

Loved hearing about 'the walk'.
Now Zeta is well over 12 yrs old we don't walk as far now but still enjoy the woods - bluebells and wild garlic - gorgeous

Kathy and Zeta
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Finlay likes the bluebell woods!
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our vet positively bombards me with advice as to the different combinations of flea, tick, lungwor &, other worm preventative measures. It quite gives me a headache thinking about them. At present Dinah has Advocate on her neck, which seems to cover most. Have I got to steel myself and go back to the vet for further advice? Amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beautiful photos of bluebells and Finlay. He looks sooo grown up! Many thanks for them. Amanda

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ruth Richardson wrote:
Finlay likes the bluebell woods!

2nd picture is my favorite.
I miss the bluebells in Belgium.

I hope my Zolton looks as beautiful as Finlay at his age. Love the contrast of purple on the black.
newnamesg
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kathy morgan wrote:
Lungworm is quite bad in some areas of the south - they can get it just from eating grass where the snail has travelled (the slime presumably) I am surprised that your vet Amanda hasn't 'encouraged' you to buy the wormer that does lungworm as well (twice the price). I put it off until a dog twenty miles away was operated on for something only to find it riddled with lungworm. Luckily they cleared them all out and continued to treat the dog and she is fine.

What with that and Alabama Rot we seemed to be getting some real nasties now.

Loved hearing about 'the walk'.
Now Zeta is well over 12 yrs old we don't walk as far now but still enjoy the woods - bluebells and wild garlic - gorgeous

Kathy and Zeta

Oh great. Mine eats everything now. Beetles, worms, frogs. I can only imagine adding in snails.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No need to panic! Milbemax wormer protects against lungworm as long as you give it monthly. I recommend doing this while your pup is young and picking everything up. Then you can revert to working every 3 months if you feel your pup is not in the habit of eating grass/licking snails and slugs/drinking from puddles etc.😁
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sensible Ruth. We live in a high risk area down south and I began worrying because I had been feeding one of our dogs outside and also leaving balls etc lying around overnight, which the dogs would then pick up. Our garden h as been absolutely awash with snails (though now much better because I have encouraged some very helpful Thrushes in, who eat them like mad). I worried about this to our vet, especially as I hadn't been up to date with Advocate. One of our dogs was old and had a nasty cough sometimes so I thought it might be connected. Our vet wasn't remotely worried, and indeed was proved right because it didn't turn into lungworm, and I am now up to date with Advocate (glad to report), so, like many things, though it is obviously a problem down here especially, it can't be QUITE as big a one as one can fear.
p.s. we left Lyme's Disease - carried by ticks in deer frequented areas- off the list! Vets are well used to that and ours recommends a special collar for that.
Again we live in a high risk area and our vet says that there have been cases of that, but I haven't actually heard of any.
Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our dogs don't ever seem to get ticks when walking around where we live (even though the vet says she has seen them in the park), but they always get them in Scotland. This year we are spending two weeks on the Isle of Mull. Last time we went, even Paul and I got loads of ticks, so I will be taking tick-repellent body-wash and spray for us and I definitely won't be walking in long grass with shorts on! Finlay will be up to date with his flea and tick prevention, but since it doesn't actually stop ticks from attaching, I will also be looking for some sort of tick-repellent shampoo for him. Any recommendations most welcome!
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Time for the Natural remedy for fleas, ticks & mites. BILLY NO MATES. I do not want to put horrible chemicals in my dog's bloodstream if I can possibly avoid to. Although we generally don't have a problem with the above parasites, I did find a couple fleas & immediately used BILLY NO MATES. Problem solved.
I've never had to deal with worms and was told unless there's a reason to believe a dog has them, forget about this constant worming. Again there are natural ways to deal with.
Fortunately we have not yet had to deal with heart or lung worms. I'm praying if that happens, there'll be a natural product.
But, as always, I would do what I had to do for my dog's health.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh I've heard of Billy No Mates! Will have a look for It! Thank you!
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not only does Finlay look stunning in the bluebells, he certainly seems very comfortable having his photo taken! What a perfect model.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Comfortable! He's a poser! No seriously, he is such an obliging little fella. He's very easy to photograph. Shame my photography skills don't match his supermodel potential! I've not got a bad camera, but I just have it on automatic and simply point and press! When I finish work this summer, I must read the manual and learn about lighting etc. Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic