The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Briard coat in the heat View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello all, I know that this is a well worn subject but in case anyone, like me, found this hard to believe, a super dog groomer has just given Dinah a fantastic brush out and we got to talking about whether it was really a good thing for her to have a big thick coat in all this heat and I remarked that Briard experts tell me that the thick coat so long as well kept traps cold air and helps the dog. (I added, truth to tell, that I still find this hard to believe since you don't see animals with long coats in the Tropics.) Claire, who was grooming Dinah at the time, most appreciatevely of her coat, said that that is absolutely true and she had recently watched a tv programme in which they put heat sensors over the dog's body, part of which had been clipped off and then allowed to partly regrow but remained short, and part of which was long and Briard like and - surprise, surprise - the long part of the dog's coat showed almost no heat on the dog's body whereas the clipped bit was fiery red! So I stand corrected!!! The key Claire said, which of course you all know too, is that the undercoat must be brushed out and there be no knots and mats so that the air can circulate. Dinah's coat wasn't in too bad nick, thanks in a large part to Diane Goodall who has been helping me to groom and is also the reason that I have kept the coat long this summer, but I am very thrilled now to look at it, immaculate and full of air pockets!!!
So keep to it, those of you pet owners like me who are tempted to give up!
Amanda

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amanda, I was at a dog show recently it was a particularly hot day and the dogs that needed the shade the most were the whippets. The coat when groomed properly does help to keep them cool.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose it is like a bird with feathers, they fluff them up to trap cool air & regularly groom themselves. Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The dogs in Iraq, who have to deal with 50C, have thick coats and they seem to manage.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic