The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 first post View next topic
View previous topic
john & deb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,
Just joined so here goes....we lost our 2 big guys(Mastiffs 13 yrs.) Apr. 2016. After 6 mos. grieving my wife Deb says Briards are super smart, min. shedding and all good. So now Brigette joins us as 8 week old pup and we love her. She potty trains fast, never chews, sleeps thru the nites, gets along fine with our big cat. We took her to 8 weeks puppy classes and 16 weeks advanced classes also. She is the smartest dog they have ever worked with the instructors say. When not sleeping, she is constanly at our sides.
Compared to a Mastiff, Brigette commands way more interaction and we have had to adjust. Deb has health issues and handles the classes and I see to it that Brigette gets long walks (3 hr. jaunts 3 times a week) and play time out back. A great set up for us.
I would like to ask....Brigette loves her tennis ball so much, she will play fetch till the sun goes down. Between times, she will stare at it and click her teeth, until she gets it. When inside, she will paw at me wanting out to get the ball. Also when on long walks, she will get the zoomies, (run in circles around me, ears flat, with tail between her legs). She is not crated during the day at all. Is this common??

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome! Sorry, I only check this site once in a while- tend to be on the FBC Facebook page more these days.The tennis ball obsession is pretty common, I think. Finlay (20 months) loves his tennis balls and likes to run round in circles at the start of a walk, but with tail swishing behind him. Brigette sounds wonderful.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi & welcome John & Deb & of course Brigette.
She sounds wonderful. Zoomies are common. I do wonder if while she is still young, she is being walked too much. The general rule of thumb is 5 minutes, per month of age, twice a day, until fully grown. This is to prevent hip/joint problems later in life.
She sounds like a typical Briard though. You are going to have a lot of fun Smile Would love to see pics, if you can manage to get them on here Smile
( I use postimage.org) very easy, upload pic & go to list, select hotlink to forums & paste, having already opened your post Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is Brigette at 12 mos. Note the short coat, wifey Deb was hairdresser for 30 yrs. and has dealt with mats in peoples hair and so has become very frustrated with the mats in Brigette's puppy coat. She lays down for a nap and suprise will wake with new knots!! I know it will subside?? and then we can let her hair grow longer.

https://postimg.org/image/yki1cab9l/

https://postimg.org/image/b7jztrv61/

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

She's lovely. Things might get a bit easier as she becomes less wriggly and the transition from puppy to adult coat is over. However, the long coat always takes time I'm afraid, so if you decide to grow it, be prepared for more mats and lots of grooming. However, it is possible to keep on top of it all. The right equipment helps - I use a Mason and Pearson brush plus a v-shaped rake - but teasing out those knots just takes time and patience and it's really better to spend a short time each day checking for them and dealing with them, rather than letting too many accumulate. If you haven't got the time to devote to this, then I'm sure she is perfectly happy with her shorter coat.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

She is beautiful Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic