The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 My honorary Briards View next topic
View previous topic
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Meet Pastou & Lilas, both Berger Picards, both re-homes through breed rescue.
We were the first in Uk to have one of each colour Smile
We got Pastou June last year, he is the brindle ( aged 4)
We got Lilas this January ( aged 2 & partially sighted) they are like chalk & cheese, he is laid back, she is a nightmare! Laughing Her main issue is barking at stuff she can't see ( new noises etc). Imagine when we got her, EVERY noise was barked at, even turning the pages of a book! Shocked
We have made progress though & she is adorable when she is quiet Laughing
They are herding dogs, like the Briard, but moult... a lot! So my vacuum works overtime.
ImageImageImage

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What characters they look! Definitely worthy to be honorary Briards! Amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am sure you know this and maybe if not it only works for our lot but I have found that thanking the dogs enthusiastically for barking (in our case we are surrounded by mega barkers so they have had plenty of temptation) and then saying, 'No more now,' in a different quite firm tone has worked wonders. Indeed ours are now the only quiet dogs on the road and the great thing is that I can stop Dinah if need be. A

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

NOthing stops Dinah from setting off the local 'starlight barking' though. She goes to the end of our garden if she can when it is dark, stays quiet and listening for ages, then does an exploratory bark or two, and you can hear the others 'online' beginning to tune in, and up, right over I like to think to the hunt kennels half a mile away. 'Thanks a lot, Di, enough now,' doesn't work for that which is clearly far too much fun. That requires either a rattle of the biscuit tin or we have to go and get her! A

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They are lovely, I think I'm love Smile
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose this breed rather than another Briard? They are very cute, admittedly, but what made you change? Did you know they moult before you got?
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lizannesley wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose this breed rather than another Briard? They are very cute, admittedly, but what made you change? Did you know they moult before you got?

We were thinking of another Briard, but the timing was all wrong, when one was available, we weren't ready. we dillied & dallied about a pup, but weren't sure, due to our oldies. then Pastou was advertised FTGH on a selling site in France. We got in touch with the breed rescue to let them know, & they sorted a home for him in Denmark, which fell through. Hubby had always liked the look of the breed, so we made enquiries & he ended up coming to us.
After our oldies died, the breed rescue got in touch again & asked us to consider Lilas ( they made no bones about her disability, & other possible problems, which thankfully amounted to nothing) Her face just go to me, so we took her on. Not my best decision, I can tell you, but we are getting there Smile I didn't realise they moulted quite so much as they do Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good for you I say! I now volunteer one morning per fortnight at a local dog rescue centre, which I started as a way to say a mini thank you to dogdom for all that they teach me and also as a bit of a payback in a general sort of way for the amazing people who have helped me with our Briards. After a slightly alarming start, since the dogs are not kennelled, twenty or so of them, and they take quite a few visits to accept new humans, I am really enjoying it - who couldn't if you get to know for example a very affectionate grizzled dog, who was rescued from a cage in Azerbaijan, minus a tail and ear tips, who not surprisingly has anxiety issues - and also learning lots about dog behaviour, including not to take on a rescue dog lightly. Not all these dogs have had as traumatic a past as Bertie, the one from Azerbaijan, and some appear positively normal, gentle, friendly and sociable to man and beast but what has surprised me is the number who get rehomed, and then returned after a few weeks due to the issues that appear once they have a home of their own. The cuddliest and sweetest of all at the centre, with big floppy ears and gentle eyes, went to a new home recently and only lasted a week or two before they returned him saying that he had become fiercely possessive of his new place and people were too scared to visit with him around. Equally, I find very heart warming to see on one visit I will encounter a new dog who is shy and anxious and then return a fortnight later and find that the dog has completely settled in. They are hugely adaptable when they feel safe, aren't they? What I also find very heart warming is to see how well in general all these dogs get on together. I have never seen any issue at feeding time, when they are all fed together from separate bowls, which obviously takes some time, and there is never a cross word then other than the odd irritable snap, and they happily clean up each other's bowls. There is one trouble-making dog, who seems to spend his time eyeing up one dog after another and trying to bait it for a fight (life, I guess!), interestingly a super bright dog, who absolutely loves human attention and having a ball thrown for him - but otherwise they seem to really appreciate the routine and calm of their lives, and regular food (you can give one a treat, and a group quickly surround you, but there is absolutely no growling or snapping, which amazes me) and also interest since the lady who runs the rescue also rescues horses, pigs and cats, and has a couple of big fields so there is always lots going on, and on the whole the dogs mill around or sleep in the sun. On my last visit, a new dog leapt up onto a high table to get at a bag of food so I said, clearly too sharply, 'Hey, down you get,' which instantly brought the trouble maker round to get involved, and then several other dogs got anxious and a row nearly kicked off - which certainly taught me what a delicate balance exists between all the dogs. Fascinating, I find, and - as I began - good on you for giving your two dogs a fantastic, patient home!
Amanda
Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like you are getting some good experience Amanda. Thank you for sharing that.
I have taken some of your advice & am thanking Lilas, when she goes on a barking mission. WIll see if it works Smile

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic