The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Intelligent Briards View next topic
View previous topic
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When we first got Norbert, we trained him not to go upstairs nor sit on the furniture. He obeyed.

Then when Louis arrived, we did the same training but he soon realised where Norbert could not go so the bottom step of the staircase became his domaine.

We now have Maxime. He is 5 months old. He has been fantastic until today. My wife caught him twice lying on our leather settee as if he owned it!

Who said Briards were “dumb”?

Confused
karian
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We had Chewwy, we trained Chewwy not to go on the furniture and not to go upstairs which he obeys.
Then we had Yogi a few years later we trained Yogi the same way. But we finding Yogi on the settee during the day and we find Yogi sleeping on the landing. But Yogi has stopped sleeping on the landing but he still sleeps on the settee at night time and we find a cushion on the floor in the morning

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We seem to have a deal with Dinah. She is not allowed on most chairs, sofas and beds, in fact she is not allowed on any, and she accepts readily that she can't go on most, but SOME she will not surrender over, especially the white (well was white) one which permits her to look out of the front window. And we are still 'negotiating' over a new one in another room, which she has currently taken a liking to. I thought I had won the argument but hubby said last night, 'Why is there a layer of dirt over all this chair'? Why indeed!

Maybe if we bought her an expensive Orvis dog bed. . . .

Happy Christmas to all from Dinah and her family in training.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I’ve never thought any dog was dumb. BRIARDS are definitely very intelligent. Upon entering the house for the first time, Jeena decided the sofa was hers. She also curls up in the armchairs when she pleases. Obviously I don’t have places that are off limits...
I was pleased when she learned to let me know when she needs a drink on our walks. All my dogs have done this. She’ll give a nudge, then when asked “what?”, she’ll lick her lips. If I’m talking with someone while walking and don’t notice the nudge, she’ll just sit down in front of me so I have to take notice.

Unfortunately I taught her to roll over. If she wants a treat on the walk,she starts rolling. If I don’t notice (or pretend not to) she makes loud groaning noises to make sure I hear her. She then rushes up with a big smile on her face & sits for a treat. She gets annoyed if I don’t give a treat and will roll right in front of my feet to make sure I see her...plus won’t move until she gets what she’s after. So very clever!
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

See what I mean about training us?!!!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic