The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Puppy walking/cars! View next topic
View previous topic
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there - we have been lucky enough to welcome a lovely girl, Fonty, into our home recently and, at 4.5 months old, she's doing really well and settling into family life. One thing I would like to know from experienced Briard owners (she's our first) is whether anyone ever experienced a Briard 'lunging' towards cars when out walking? We are able to walk her from our house along a pavement but, all took often, when she seems a car, rather than cowering, she seems to go for them. I'm not sure whether this is the shepherding instinct, but it's been quite tricky! We've used treats, stopping when cars come past etc, but it's a bit of a challenge! Any thoughts/ideas are most welcome! Thank you! Becky[/img]
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I think you definitely need to stop her practising this. Boring, boring, but I would stop walking her along that bit of road for a bit until you have cracked the habit. Do you have a good trainer around here? I took Dinah to quite a few, who all - most discouragingly - said they didn't like Briards, but would 'do their best to help', which in each case proved to be not helpful. Do hope you have had more success with that. If not, a friend told me the other day that she has a friend who has quite recently rehomed a Briard and after quite a struggle to find a trainer who would take him on has now found a really supportive and helpful one, so if you ever want I could ask her who that is. Good luck! Amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am also a great fan of The Dog Communication Company at Priory Park just beyond Redhill. I wish I had done a class that they run called 'Confident Canines' for older, larger breed puppies to learn good dog skills off lead around other dogs and also onlead but didn't know it existed until Dinah was over much older. Laura and Penel, the instructors, are hugely experienced with big dogs, including Briards (and really like Dinah - though I have to add do say that they are not convinced that Briards are an ideal breed for the average family home), and would I am sure advise re lunging at cars. Amanda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much, Amanda, for your suggestions! I got as far as noting down your number the other day, but haven't quite managed to call - thanks very much for your support, I'd love to chat soon!
pippin
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Becky - have had the same problem with 3 young briards over the years - on a rural road without pavements here in France! I did much the same as you. Dog to sit and wait for a treat. I don't know if it makes a difference but I spoke to the dog as the car approached and passed. Something along the lines "good boy and you'll have a biscuit" maybe two/three or even 4 times. It doesn't take a briard very long to learn the word "biscuit". In fact I used it as recall with my first briard. If I told him "here" he would wonder why - what was out there - With word "biscuit" he just came back! There may be more experienced owners/trainers who may offer a diffrent solution.

Good luck I am sure you will work through it.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What lovely straightforward advice. I fear that my suggestions tend to come through the veil of all the muddles that I got into with Dinah, which is why I advise going to a trainer! Certainly Dinah has got the hang of anything to do with edible rewards very quickly. If she is barking in the garden, we just have to rattle the biscuit box and in she rockets. Also she got the hang very readily of jumping up onto the bank of the rather dangerous road where we live. She knew she'd get a treat, and so had only to hear a car coming, and up she jumped/jumps! Can it be so simple with puppy lunging? It was in her later puppy years that she took to all the things that we then had terrible trouble getting her to unlearn? One day I do look forward to meeting Becky and puppy. I am sure that there is no need to get into the muddle that we did because all of our Briards have been hyper sensitive and trainable, which is what everyone says. Amanda

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic