The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Herding contd View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

aaargh. Sorry folks, last thread continuing as that sound thing came on while I was typing, so I just sent what I could. Well what I am so especially pleased about over Dinah's herding skills is that she really is incredibly helpful with the reluctant hen. Without her help I couldn't let the girls out nearly so much because I would always face what can be a 20 minute delay while I get the reluctant one to calm down and manage to lure her into the ark too, and so of course often wouldn't have the time for that. Dinah is of course well aware that her 'herd' of hens should stay together, indeed she never likes them being separated, and I have been gardening with Dinah and the hens loose together, got engrossed in gardening and turned round to find that Dinah has tidied them all up, collected them and put them all to bed without me. A little nerve wracking since she has tended to be soooo pouncy in her driving methods and I don't want our lovely hens bullied since they come so sweetly when called anyway. I had found that the best and kindest way to catch reluctant hen in a hurry was to put Dinah on a lead and walk her up behind the laggard, even letting her - on her lead - follow her into any bushes she took refuge in, which was pretty effective and meant that I could slow down the pace of Dinah's herding, and the hen would pretty quickly decide that she really would prefer to join her sisters. Today began normally as I put the easy four hens to bed with the no fuss as usual and the reluctant one went on mooching near to the bushes. Dinah seemed very calm and I was a bit short of time so I went away to the depths of our garage to get out some more hen food, leaving dog and hen unattended together. I came out, a tad relieved not to have heard any sounds of pouncing and squawking, and couldn't at first see either dog or hen. But then - huge pride! - I saw them. Dinah had returned the final hen to the ark all on her own, with no noise at all, and clearly no fuss because the hen was standing perfectly calmly by the ark just waiting to be shut away. This is what she is meant to do, isn't it?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic