The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Do you know what your Briard really is ? View next topic
View previous topic
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Over the years we have been asked many times if Amber is an afghan hound, others think she is an old english sheep dog and we were told by one woman that she was old english sheep dog as she has had them before and that we did not know what breed of dog we had got. But the funniest thing I've ever been asked was, is it crossed with a yorkshire terrier ? we're still trying to work out with what Rolling Eyes Has anyone else had similar remarks

Last edited by Carol H. on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Rozimba
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I once had a judge come over to the side of the ring to make sure I wasn't missing my class, the class was afgan puppy and according to a junior handling critique I was handling a beardie! I've also had someone ask if Belle was a poodle!
Teresa & Cian
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Carol
Our most popular seems to be labradoodle (especially after we had her shorn!).
A little boy asked me last night if she was a newfoundland. But generally it's "Wow, that's a big dog, what is it???"
Even when I tell them she's a briard I get a lot of blank looks.

Yorkshire Terrier x Great Dane perhaps? It would have needed a ladder though!!! A jack russell tried it on with Cian once, funniest thing - it barely reached her knees!
She just gave it a pitying look.
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi
we were asked if our boy magoo was a russian black or a giant schnauzer. when we tell people he is a briard they look blank and say a what. Shocked
Oscar'sMum
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Someone asked us if Oscar was, in fact, Sirius Black? We've also had afghan, labradoodle, poodle, russian black and a bouvier breeder thought he was a bouvier.

People also ask us all the time about our retriever x spaniel - we tell them he is a Danish Squirrelhound!
GillCoates
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is a dozy woman who live in my village who asks me every time she sees us if he is a Saint Bernard!! I am sick of telling her now that no he is a B R I A R D. Obviously she has never seen a St Bernard before. Afgan cross Irish Wolfhound is a good one I get. When I reply he's a Briard, I get "never seen one of them before" or "Brie What". A dog trainer stopped her doggie class in the middle of Temple Newsam in Leeds and asked me if he was a Giant Schnauzer as all the people in her class wanted to know what he was. My next door neighbour introduces him to his friends as the Wookie Laughing
Debs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had several funnies:

When my fawn boy was a pup, a poodle breeder stopped me and said that he was a lovely apricot!

I was asked if my oldest black bitch, who is rather large, was a bearded collie - apparently this person used to breed beardies but his were bigger than my girl!

The funniest one I had was someone who said....."I know most breeds but I'm not sure about that one - is it a long haired Great Dane?

Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing thanks for making me laugh. sorry guys. it is sumwhat amusing when we are on holiday. they iether want to take pics of jasper or ask what is he. and oh whats that etc. WQe have have had the usual questions like most of you. Last holls it was is he a labradoodle. Jasper said it all he walked to their car and weed up the weel. disgusted or what LOL.
I heard one little lad say to his dad. oh look dad one of those tiny horses.
The best one must have been a women who was passing me into a shop. hubby was out side with Jasper she was telling her mate all about the breed. Very expertly. I listened to her, she was on about collies.
Oh yes she was very knowledgable and went on to say. that has to be the best colli i have ever seen. what!!! Shocked I hadn't the heart to correct her. Rolling Eyes

Michelle
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

When Madison was about ten months old she won best in show at a Companion Show in Taunton and as the judge awarded us the trophy he said 'and Best in Show is the Afghan' ..... When he got close I quietly wishered 'thankyou but she is actually a Briard'. He looked puzzled. hey ho.. Razz

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

An afgan and that coming from a judge Surprised

Caroline
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was sitting at some traffic lights once with the roof down and Bo in the passenger seat.... a little boy got terribly over excited and announced to his mum -

'ere mummy... look... its chewbacca from Star Wars!'

x
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing and what ever they say we are awfuly proud of our beasts. Cool

Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your replies sounds like we're got very mixed up dogs, and if anyone dares to call her a mongral. they'll never forget the word Briard as long as they live Mad

Carol

Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GillCoates wrote:
There is a dozy woman who live in my village who asks me every time she sees us if he is a Saint Bernard!! I am sick of telling her now that no he is a B R I A R D. Obviously she has never seen a St Bernard before. Afgan cross Irish Wolfhound is a good one I get. When I reply he's a Briard, I get "never seen one of them before" or "Brie What". A dog trainer stopped her doggie class in the middle of Temple Newsam in Leeds and asked me if he was a Giant Schnauzer as all the people in her class wanted to know what he was. My next door neighbour introduces him to his friends as the Wookie Laughing

Hi Gill. i had a blokey ask me is he a st bernard. i thought fast saying . oh no a briard!!! Shocked then I went into complete and utter waffle. I said you can always tell a st bernard as they have a brandy barrel around the neck. Rolling Eyes Oh i see i will have to remeber that. I walzted of with my georgious dog his head in the air as if to say that told him mum. Laughing

stew
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

going to sue for damages just fell off the chair and split my sides laughing
wookie ! c hewbacca!. and we always get people insistent that hercules is a
dulux dog we had one child who ran behind is mothers back screaming mummy mummy theres a lion

stew_mal
nouvion hercules-molly
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it could go on forever. we were in the lakes a few years ago. As a young family walked by the father said we thought it was a bear from over there. LOL

Mind you one guy did ask us what he was and was very ineterested.. i sugested he find this site when he got back and have a look and be carefull to sus it all out as they are hard work and very fast Rolling Eyes

Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My Hattie too has won a class at an Open show and was called as the Afghan when she was a youngster. When I walk the Old English black briard and fawn together the comments usually are I didn't know Old English came in so many colour or are they Bearded Collie but if some one who's judging dogs isn't sure what they are, what hope is there for the none doggy people of this world. The standard question is what is it, to which I reply with a smile a dog and (I do know of other who have this answer.) then I go on to explain they are a very special breed.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once we were at the vets office with Caresse and a woman and her daughter entered in the waitingroom, she said 'Oh my God that is a beautiful colour for a bearded collie'. So we told her it was a briard and she was really surprised. Between us I still think she didn't believe us Laughing Laughing
Greetings from the wet Belgium!!!

Valerie and the gang.
christine
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We find when we are out in town or on holiday with Shadow, we can never be in a hurry to go anywhere because so many people stop us to touch and fuss over her and ask us questions, we have had this since the late 1960's when we had our first Briard. You would think people would be more familiar with the breed by now.

Christine
Sue
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It seems that I had the biggest Scottie in the world once! Years ago I took my black puppy to the vet for his first check up so he would have been seven or eight weeks old and in my arms and the receptionist welcomed him as an adult scottie! Quickly put her straight on that one!!
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

you know what realy annoys me, when a vet thinks he knows the bread!!!! Rolling Eyes meaning to say oh yes a briard i know. huh !!!!!

Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, we've had all the same comments . . . newfoundland, black old English sheepdog, bouvier, schnauzer, labradoodle etc. Children are indeed the funniest when you're in the park and they shout "lion!" at your fawn briard or "bear!" at your black briard. I also enjoy walking past cars stopped at traffic lights and seeing how many occupants crane their necks in amazement to get a better look at my four-legged friend.
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ruth

Yes don't you feel proud when that happens, and when cars stop to let you cross the road to get a better look at her.

Carol

Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi . it is amazing how many will do that. i feel a bit guilty when you are standing by a lot of other dogs and yours gets singled out, they dont bother to fuss the others. Embarassed

Tina Sweet
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I did have a judge say to me @it was nicde to see this breed with tails' I not sure which breed he thought they were but as he was judging he should have read the briard standard before his judging surley.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha Ha Any patter of tiny feet yet?

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tina, he probably thought he was a bouvier.

I saw a dead ringer for a briard in Hull and asked the owner what it was - his reply: "Well, Ah durnt ner what tha calls em where your from, but round ere we calls it a dog!" So that told me. I am still convinced it was a briard cross or something, but decided not to pursue the conversation.
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't mind the unusual guesses as to what breed...but I'm really sick of "you could put a saddle on "that" & ride it"or is "that" a donkey or a horse or a bear? Am I being too sensitive....?
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No your not been too senstive we feel just the same, we some times get you could put a cart behind that Mad

Carol

Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lizannesley wrote:
I don't mind the unusual guesses as to what breed...but I'm really sick of "you could put a saddle on "that" & ride it"or is "that" a donkey or a horse or a bear? Am I being too sensitive....?

we have had the same comments i just say now that i forgot to bring the saddle and the look on there faces.
Rolling Eyes

Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi again!
Yes, I forgot about all the comments about putting a saddle on them. I HATE that. I'm SO bored hearing it all the time. It's really hard to keep on smiling sweetly and pretending it's the first time anyone's thought of that one!
I also hate "It's got no eyes" or "Where are his eyes?" Hugo always has a bobble in for his walks, so his eyes are perfectly visible if they just look. I feel like shouting "They're on the front of his head! Where's your brain?!"
While I'm ranting on, Hugo also wears a coat when it's wet. it means you only have to dry his head, legs and underneath when you get in. I'm fed up of people saying "Surely he doesn't need that coat with all that fur." Grr!
Sorry, Victor Meldrew moment now over. Smiling sweetly once again!
Ruth
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing i know ruth it does get you a little crazy.
I upset someone last year . as they aproached jasper they asked does he like children, Without thinking i said oh yes. But he can only eat half a one. they were not amused Laughing Laughing Shocked Laughing

Caroline
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And my personal favourite... 'cor, what must you feed that thing...'

'People who ask that question actually' - !

xx
Komma
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I get that all the time but I hate when he is wet and someone start telling me that he smells Confused

I usually say well so do you Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ruth

I sometimes put Amber's coat on when it's very windy it helps to stop her fur getting too knotted, then you get some smart remark like "is that a race horse", or a dog like that should not wear a coat. Mad Then as you say! has that dog got any eyes or how can it see, I feel like saying put your hand near her mouth and you'll soon see if she can see anything. I no there are not many briards around but the remakes are starting to get rather annoying. And then there the parents who think there children have the right to stoke the Big Teddy Bear.

Carol

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic