The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 briard folk are great View next topic
View previous topic
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi
today we picked up a german shephered bitch about 14 months old she had been straying in area for about a week . A lovely scared girl very hungry , thirsty and totally exhausted she is at present fast asleep in our living room .we have tried rspca who said we dont have strays Rolling Eyes Try the dog wardern we did he conviently is on sick leave till they the council dont know when .tried the police who say its up to the dog wardern.tried breed rescue no one in and no one returning our calls.meanwhile who gives a damm about the dog NO ONE only us .Briard people care if this was a briard we would be onto rescue and people would be bothered how sad that some breeds are so expendale.will let you all know what happens
bourntwyn
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

good work people. hope the young gsd finds her way home ok...
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done to you Steve and Jenny! This is something that would normally happen to us! i.e. taking a stray in only not to be able to find anyone to help!

Hope you will find the little girl's home soon!

Give her a big hug from all of us here!

Paul

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Way to go guys! Fingers crossed that today brings new hope (and help) for this GSD - how's she behaving with your pack?
Geoff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Steve and Jenny. Just thinking how lucky this GSD is to have found you.
Geoff

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck - you've probably done this, but have you taken her to the vets to see if she has a chip?

We were adopted by a stray cat over Christmas - following a chip inspection at the vets it turns out the owner moved from London to Portsmouth and he was making his way home.... now rehomed with our neighbour with the old owners blessings and a very fat and happy cat!
Emme
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hope this doggy finds herself somewhere warm and safe to live. Well done for being so kind and caring!

Emme
Rozimba
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad the little GSD has found a nice home to stay at until something permenant can be arranged, it's a sad state of affairs when the organisations charged with animal welfare can't be bothered, we were walking ours once and came across a stray so we rang the rspca, the police and the dog warden with similar reponses, what really got me was that it was 100 yrds from a really busy road and the police wouldn't do anything unless it caused an accident! surely it would be too late then!
Teresa & Cian
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Even if the RSPCA would take her she'd probably only have a limited amount of time before they put her to sleep.
I'd recommend trying to find a local dog rescue centre. Might be worth trying to find out where the dog warden would take the dog if he wasn't off sick.
When my friends dog was stolen in the middle of the night and and then dumped about 30 miles away the dog warden took her to a local dog rescue place that they always used. After spending days 'phoning the police, dog warden and local vets turned up nothing (we thought she'd just escaped from the garden) I decided to try phoning round all the local rescue centres and discovered that she had been picked up by the dog warden from a different area the same day she went missing (North Dorset not South Dorset where we were. Apparently the police lost/found database doesn't cover different areas!) I was not impressed!! but at least it was a happy (if costly - they charged her over Ž£100 kennelling fees) ending.
Of course I'm assuming you don't want to keep her!?!
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I am afraid the story does not have the happy ending we were hoping for.All was well until bed time last night.It was then we realised that our new friend suffered from extremley severe separation anxietyShe barked and howled most of the night.Our son then took her into his bedroom and she then had a peacefull night.With Jenny being at work today I decided to take her to work with me.As I went to open up my place of work I left our friend in the car it takes about 5 minutes to open up.I had every intention of then taking her into the office with me all day.Upon returning to the car it was like a scene from a disaster movie.I have had a quote of around Ž£575 for repairing the inside of the car.Her anxiety is obviously more severe than I imagined.The damage she caused is catasrophic.I feel I really let her down but honestly thought she would be o.k. whilst I opened up especially as she would have been able to see me for the majority of the time.After this episode we decided we had no option but to take her to a local kennel after being assured they never put to sleep healthy dogs.We now feel so guilty that we could have maybe done things differently.
The moral to this story Would we do the same if we saw another frightened stray? OF COURSE WE WOULD
Steve and Jenny
Michelle
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would have done exactly the same as you too. Crying or Very sad

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree, you did the right thing. Hopefully it won't be long before she can find a suitable, experienced owner who can deal with all of her needs and issues. Your poor car though.
Rozimba
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Steve and Jenny, thers's no need for you to feel guilty, you did what you could for her which is probably more than her owners did! I'm sure she will find a loving home where she doesn't need to be seperated from her owner. Smile
Teresa & Cian
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good Heavens! You certainly shouldn't feel in any way guilty. You rescued her from the streets. Feel good about yourselves. Very Happy
Geoff
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice try Steve and Jenny. Sorry to hear you are so out of pocket on this.
Geoff.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Steve & Jenny,

Well done with the GSD, she is very lucky to meet you. So sorry about the dammage Crying or Very sad , but she must have been very frightened, she was probably scared that she was again left behind. How are the other dogs reacting? Are they friendly with her? Have you tried to reach the GSD-club, maybe they could help.
Hope everything works out well. Smile
Valerie and the gang.
saintbriard
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HI
Just like to thank everyone for their kind words and support Very Happy
steve and jen
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Steve & Jenny

I agree with what others have said.
You did all you could do to help this dog, now she is with people who may know how to help her over come her problems.
Years go when I was young Dad bought home a lovely dog that had been hanging around where he worked for days, he was so friendly we fell in love with him, then when Mom went out shopping and he was left alone he totaly wrecked the kitchen it looked as if it had been hit by a tornado, after a few more days of moving every thing out of reach and he was getting worse, so we took him to the vets hoping to get something to calm him down, but he said he was so badly stressed that the only kind thing to do was to put him to sleep. We did not have rescue centres in those days," this was the early 60's", well not that we had hearded of so the deed was done.
I often think about him even now, and wish there had been a centre he could have gone to, where they may have been able to help him, and then he may have the chance of a new home.

At least you have helped him, (and not let him down like the RSPCA and the like,) he now stands a good chance of been helped and with luck get a new family.

Carol

Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

saintbriard wrote:
hi
today we picked up a german shephered bitch about 14 months old she had been straying in area for about a week . A lovely scared girl very hungry , thirsty and totally exhausted she is at present fast asleep in our living room .we have tried rspca who said we dont have strays Rolling Eyes Try the dog wardern we did he conviently is on sick leave till they the council dont know when .tried the police who say its up to the dog wardern.tried breed rescue no one in and no one returning our calls.meanwhile who gives a damm about the dog NO ONE only us .Briard people care if this was a briard we would be onto rescue and people would be bothered how sad that some breeds are so expendale.will let you all know what happens

well done at least you care. Laughing hope she is okay.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic