The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 are 3 easier than 2? View next topic
View previous topic
danni
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know, this is a real dumb question, but as everybody knows , we have a 41/2 year old giant schnauzer and a almost 2 year old serra. Very Happy those 2 are just great together, match-make in heaven, but I would love to get another briard(we lost ours 5 years ago). karli my serra can get very jealaous and diesel my giant is a male(fixed), and my husband only wants another male briard,not a girl . Confused He thinks their attitude is so much better than females, because they are just total clowns. I have to agree on that, but I can not split myself in 3 either, especially in the first 18 month or forever. Rolling Eyes both my dogs love other dogs and a very socialized, but.............. danni and crew Cool and are 2 males o.K. together Question
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Danni,
I must disagree with you, Amber has been a clown since we had her, her sense of humor is second to none, she is nearly 11 years old now and is as funny now as she was then. Laughing I think it depends on the dog, each has it's own personalty, some are totaly mad others may not be so out going, and the way they are brought up must also have a bearing on it.

Last edited by Carol H. on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Debs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't agree either - I think the girls are much much funnier than the boys, and much more of a challenge, which is what I love about them.
Not quite sure what your question is though - is it....males together? Or should I get a 3rd dog?
I am once again back to 4 dogs. Never had a problem with boys or girls, as I'm in charge!

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok.OK, I did not want to step on anybodys toes, but I only had 1 briard and he was the love of my life, but , that is besides the point. I have a male and a female and they are both funny as hell Laughing my question was, if a male giant schnauzer and a male briard would get along, because they are both dominated breeds and sweet. I have noticed that my female(serra) is not as stubborn as my males(both of them) were,and are. she was just easier to train, and I would rather have a female briard, but I don't know how 2 females get along, because my serra is very jealous. that was actually my question, I hope I explained it better this time, I am sorry, but my german brain gets ahead of me sometimes. Rolling Eyes danni and crew Cool
Carol H.
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Danni

You haven't stepped on anyone's toes. Amber is my first briard so I can not help you with your question, about whether two males would get on. All I can say is that Amber was very easy to train, in someways she seemed to train herself, but she can be wilful at times but it's that, that gives her character. Laughing

Debs
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you could go for either, especially as the schnauzer has been neutered. A problem might occur if the girl you have comes into season but then again, as the schnauzer has been "done", you'll probably be ok.
I have 3 girls and a boy. All absolutley fine but like I said, I'm in charge, and I keep them in the right order when it comes to going out of the door, getting in the car, feeding etc.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thank you so much for your advise, Karli is fixed , too. and I am in charge also, but , is there any jelaousy with your 4 ? danni and crew Cool
olneym
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our experience:
2 are easier than 1, as they entertain each other
3 are 10x the amount of work of 2
but crack that, and 4 is no different to 3
danni
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

that was very funny, I love that. danniand crew Cool
veronique
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

olneym wrote:
Our experience:
2 are easier than 1, as they entertain each other
3 are 10x the amount of work of 2
but crack that, and 4 is no different to 3

dear that sound almost logical to me Wink Embarassed

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course there is always a bit of jealousy - where one wants the attention but you just have to keep the order of the pack and give the attention in the right order too. Having said that, they've never had a cross word. But its really funny to see who can sit closest to mummy when she's eating her tea!

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to expand on the 10x the work...
Merita already had the 2 male terriers (16 months & 13 months) when we got Eddie at 9 weeks. Maybe the terriers sussed that they now had some real physical backup, but there was more of a pack mentality. This took a little getting used to, and we had to be firm with them, but order was soon restored.
A couple of years later we rehomed a female lurcher. Apart from the odd rabbit being presented to you (and last year a guinea pig - alive, and not a scratch on it, which makes a change), nothing changed. She defended her honour (& space), so the lads (all neutered) never bothered her. She also likes hiding behind the briard when she's antagonised a dog into going for her.
You'll also find that visiting friends & family with 1 or 2 dogs is generally ok, but very few are ok with 3+. Same issue trying to find kennels that can take all 3 together. Once they are bonded, it's punishment to split one from the others.
Your house will seem very small when they all start play fighting.
There's the additional space required for the various beds and spare bedding etc. Also, each dog is on different food - more storage.
You get the picture.....
olneym
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

...and having a car big enough. We've now got an ugly bug (Fiat Multipla); cheap & very cheerful.

I could go on forever.
danni
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I got the picture and thank you. danni and crew Cool

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic