The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hair Loss View next topic
View previous topic
Missie
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, for the last 3 months I have been taking Rufus to the vets due to hair loss. It started with a patch of hair loss on his thigh. We thought it might be his anal glands, apparently not. After steroid injections antibiotics, blood tests and skin scrapes we are not much further forward. The vet found a parasite when he did a skin scrape which he said was common in most dogs but large amounts could cause hair loss and changed his flea treatment from Prac-tic to Advocate. I have noticed that the thinning of hair is spreading over his back but its only on his right side. The skin looks normal apart from very dry. I have been giving him tuna in oil for a few months but its made no difference. So its back to the vets next week. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Missie & Rufus
olneym
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately yes, our lurcher.

Does Rufus' skin get pink/red?

Our vet suspected an allergic reaction to a flea bite, not that we've ever found one on any of the dogs or their bedding, but that was pretty much ruled out. I think the initial treatment was steroids and/or anti-biotics. Follow up treatment is bathing the dog in hibi scrub, whenever her skin starts to look pink.

She lost a fair bit of hair, but most of it has grown back, although being a lurcher (deerhound x whippet we think) her coat is very fine.

It did flare up again a couple of years later.
Missie
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No Rufus's skin looks quite normal, at first I thought he may be doing it himself when he was on his own.

Funny you should mention the bathing because the vet has said the next step would be a shampoo, as he hates his baths I'm not loking forwad to that.
Emme
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear about your fur loss, Rufus... I'm sure you're still very dashing! Hope you guys figure it out soon!

Love Ivy
danni
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

diesel is highly allergic (spelling?) to flea saliva, he does not have any, but 1 fleabite can ruin his day and day and night. he is also allergic to wheat, corn and by-products. I do not want to go to the vet again, because all they do, is give him steroids,(yes, they help), but there's got to be some other more natural stuff out there.I give him Omega EFA capsule in his food and they do help too. whn I came home today, he chewed part of his back to the point where it is raw. Sad any suggestions would be welcome thanks Sad danni
Missie
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry to hear that danni, I don't have any suggestions but hope someone out there can help. I shall ask the vet when I go this week about flea bites, I shall pass on any advice.

Missie & Rufus

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic