The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Flaky skin/dandruff View next topic
View previous topic
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone help? Hugo has always had dandruff. It's worst right along his back either side of his spine. I put Mr Groom coat oil on his food every day and it helps but does not completely cure it. Can anyone recommend anything better? I spray him with conditioner when brushing and that helps too, but I'd like to get rid of it completely. He's fed on Eukanuba. We never had this problem with our last briard, so it may not be common, but any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Last edited by Ruth Richardson on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Susie&Sadie
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Try adding Kelp powder to his food Ruth, it does wonders for their skin and coat. Sadie had lost quite a lot of coat last year, and her skin was dry and flaky; put her on 1 1/2 teaspoons of kelp powder a day, and it has done the trick-no flaky skin and lots of new coat growth. It will take a while, as all natural remedies do, but persevere and you will see a difference!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is that a type of seaweed? I already put 3 scoops of seaweed Plaque-Off powder on his food every day for his teeth. Or are there different types of seaweed for different problems?
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been using Yumaga oil fsince January, and Bo coat was flaky/dandruffy and cherwed off. But I am impressed with it.
Could be just my dog, so dont go out and buy it, unless you are sure.

What food are u on?

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
Susie&Sadie
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, kelp is a seaweed. I don't know the one you are using, this I just buy from the health food shop,it's pure kelp so maybe there's a difference there somewhere?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks both of you. I will try both suggestions, but maybe one at a time! Hugo's coat is lovely, thick and shiny, but he's always had this dandruff. You don't really notice it unless you pull his fair apart at the parting, but I'm sure he would be better off without it. I would love to get rid of it.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, after all this time, he's still got it! I tried Yumega Plus for ages, but it made no difference. I'm going to try kelp powder now, although I'm not sure that will help since he already has Plaque-Off on his food which is also seaweed. I changed his food from Eukanuba to James Well-beloved, but it's the same as ever now. It goes for a bit after a bath, but soon comes back and yes, I do use proper dog shampoo/conditioner and rinse thoroughly. Any more suggestions would be most helpful!
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since my last post i now bath Bo every 2 weeks, with Malacetic shampoo. This you can buy on the internet cheap, its mild and for skin problems. It does seem to work, bathing them more often. I dont use Ymega oil anymore either, or put any suppliments in the food. Smile

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I got malacetic shampoo and spray off the vet. The spray doesn't do much and I really can't face bathing him so often unless I decide to have him clipped.
I might try Symply dog food which has more linoleic acid in for skin health. Has anyone tried it?
Tina Sweet
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

quistel works miracles for dandruff. There is the shampoo and condioner which are good if you want to bath them. But the best one is the spray lotion straight onto the dandruff and it gets rid of it. It is suppose to help promote coat growth but it clears any flaky skin if I dont want to bath keisha before I show. I only bath her twice a year at more than this upsets the oil balance in their coat and can create dandruf. The quistell lotion is idea. You can buy at champ shows or on the internet. It is not very expensive and lasts a long time. Hope this helps.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried giving him a raw egg with his food a couple of times a week? He'll love it and it'll do his skin and coat no end of good. It worked with Ed, doesn't cost much and is worth a try.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I do worry a bit about the raw egg thing just in case of the risk of salmonella, although I only buy organic free range ones, so maybe I'll give it a try.
I'll also look for the Quistel stuff, so thanks both of you.

Last edited by Ruth Richardson on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sjaakje
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thouth dogs can't get salmonella?

I have 1 Briard who has the same problem, mostly after the winter. When i bath her 1 time with a shampoo called 'zwavelteershampoo' (sorry, don't know the English name) and the problem is solved. I don't put all those other things on her, maby to mutch or to many diffrent things can make the dandruff worse?

This is the product i use:
http://www.jpshopforanimals.nl/a-22000521/jean-peau-shampoos-en-vachtverzorgers/jean-peau-zwavelteer-shampoo

Maby they ship oversea's also?

jean eckford
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

being a dog groomer I shampoo dogs every day, if they have dandruff I use a good moisturising conditioner and vigorous brushing which generally has a good result, personally, i never shampoo my briards, if they do" occationally" need a bath, I use only water, then a good grooming spray, which keeps the pair of them smelling lovely, i dont risk any shampoo as my experience is that it makes the coat too soft therefore more difficult to manage

jean

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic