The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Manic Chewy View next topic
View previous topic
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I have a 6 month old male called Chewy. I have to admit he's not been an easy puppy to train. ( So different to the collie xbreeds I've had before.)
In many ways he's getting better, but there's one thing that he's getting worse with, and thats his manic, dominant behaviour towards me when we're at home. He listens to my husband and even my 12 year old son can settle him, but the battles he has with me go on and on, until he gives up - well to be honest, I never sure if he's just given up, or maybe he has eventually listened to me. I try to walk away, but he follows me, and continues to bite me and run around me. So I try facing up to him and that just makes him worse. He barks back at me when I shout at him. Yelling 'ouch!' when he bites, doesn't work anymore, neither do rattle bottles - he just wants to play with those now.
Chewy is ultimately my dog, I walk him, feed him, etc, so I do fear that, in his head, I'm now his slave. He's usually very good when we go for walks (apart from the boisterousness and risk of bowling children over - but thats another story, Smile
He's had me in tears again this evening, so if anyone has any advice, please, I need help. Crying or Very sad
veronique
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

reading your post is making me feel for you Crying or Very sad
lots of peoples will give you advices the only thing i really know it's not too gave up on your Dog and on yourself
the Briards are a big Dog,not just in body but in the way they are too and that can make thing really dificulte for you two
and they dont thinks the way we do ie He does not see you as a slave coes your feeding walking grooming Him (but you feel that way and he know it)anyway you see were i'm going with this Wink
hope the best for you all Very Happy

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Get in touch with Brenda Wilkinson - she will advise and you can pm her via this group

Teseny Briards
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi - Brenda is very good and offers lots of advice, so send her a private message and she will help you.

Hope it works out for you.

Debbie

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you tried enrolling in a local training class - sometimes that works wonders as it gives you and your dog a period of time purely to work with one another and a good trainer will be able to offer you positive advice. Smile

Try introducing short stays before letting him go through doorways or as you feed him. Make sure he is sitting calmly before putting his collar and lead on and I would also suggest that if you allow him on the furniture, this is also stopped.

By exercising small spurts of control throughout the day when his willingness to please is increased (around dinner/walks etc) you're ability to control him the remainder of the time will also increase. By banning him from sitting on furniture and (if practical) feeding him after you yourself have eaten you are displaying canine leadership signals - ensuring that he is aware that you control the resources and you are certainly not his slave...

Best of Luck.

Lizz Cook
Dog trainer based in Kent.
(Kay's daughter!)

PS. I find rattle bottles very ineffective as most dogs (unless nervous by nature) will eventually try to play with them... you ideally need to change Chewy's mindset so that he CHOOSES to display the behaviour you want rather than by forcing him - which usually fails in the long run... Very Happy Very Happy
Net & Zebedee
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I think you should speak to someone like Brenda who knows about these things.

We did go through a similar thing with Zeb when he was about that age and would get over excited and start biting at trousers and running round and round me woofing. The only ways I found which improved it were firstly when he was just starting to get over excited to find something more positive to channel him in to. So by getting him to sit and shake paw or by throwing a ball for him so that the game wasn't playing rough with me but was something else. If that couldn't be done to gently but firmly physically get hold of him and tell him no - it's easier said than done though if they're wheeling round you madly so we found it was easier to break him of the habit by distracting him then rewarding him for doing something good.

Good luck
x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Julia, a Big Welcome to the FBC we look forward to hearing more about Chewy as he grows up.

As most people have said, send Brenda a PM she is very helpful.
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone and thanks for all your support and advice offered so far.
Chewy is really well behaved at the training class we've been going to, he's due to move up to the next level class in a couple of weeks. He was a nightmare to control at first, but he's top dog there now. It's a good small class, never been more than 5 puppies there at one time. Tried another class earlier on, but with 12 puppies there, including his sister, he was impossible to control.
He's also usually very good when we go out for walks. He wears a Halti collar with a training lead, and walks to heal really well. I let him loose when its safe fom other people, especially children, now as he has a habit of charging at everyone and everything that moves - typical behaviour for a briard it appears Rolling Eyes
Its at home when the tantrums happen. He's just dug a huge hole in the garden while I was sorting tea, but I do seem to have managed to tell him off successfully - ie, he seems to have realised he did something wrong as it didn't escalate into a biting and running rings around me session for a change. He's lying on the kithen floor now, hence me being able to type this reply. He can switch from good boy to bad in an instant, and its not just when he's been ignored or hyper from playing fetch. So I find it hard to pinpoint any particular situation that triggers his dark side.
Anyway, I'll keep trying out what you've all suggested and recommended and hopefully he'll get better.
Thanks Julia
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been away for a few days. I have sent you a PM.I'm flattered Embarassed
at the reccomends thanks folks Smile As anyone who knows me knows it's all about the dogs been happy which means their humans been happy too.
Brenda

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I had a slight dominence problem with Enya, with Rob she was fine but me certain things were a battle of wills. 12 months down the line and loads of patience on my part and we are fine now. She is told to sit before I put her dinner down and only eats when I tell her too, she only gets on the sofa for cuddles when invited and never goes out of the back door for her walks before me. It would quite often take me a while to get her harness on but if she failed to keep calm then I would walk away and sit down until she did become calm, she quickly learnt that if she carried on jumping around she did not get her walk. Took us 20 minutes one day before we got out of the door but the patience paid off. Brenda will certainly help you with some good advice and then you just need patience, lots of patience.
dagmar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't give up, I had a collie xbreeds before we rescued Megan they are lovely dogs. Unfortunately you cannot compare the two it took 3 month for the collie to trust us and respect the rules. Megan was the same age 18month when we got her; we had to ask Brenda to come to the rescue after the first month, to make sure that he dog could be saved. Megan has now been with us over 18 month and it may take another year before she becomes a normal briard, if there is such a thing.
Brenda told us to take Megan to a Briard meeting in Birmingham (fun day), it really opened my eyes, you cannot change the breed, silly me I always thought I could change her into a collie.
The last 18month with Megan have not been easy, however she is the most loving dog I ever had.

On a different note Megan gets very boisterousness, if she needs to go to the ‘bathroom’. Also check the water is fresh; I found it calms her down if you ask her to have a drink if she gets to boisterousness
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've had the same experience as Dollybug. My dog is 17 months and still, from time to time, I've got to take my coat off and postpone the walk, but it does work. when he gets out of hand at home, putting him out of the room and shutting the door until he calms down works too. He used to jump up and nip me often, but I managed to stop it by holding his face firmly by the beard, going nose to nose with him and really telling him off. Now, 90% of the time, I can control it by holding my hand out and saying no. I watch for a look in his eyes and stop it before it starts. But, this has taken time and, like Julia, I've had my moments of despair in the past. However, over time, he's settling down.
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone, I've had a lovely long chat with Brenda and have now started to implement her advice. It's early days, but we had a great well behaved day yesterday, and there's been no biting today (so far).
He gets put in the kitchen for time out and is working more for his food and treats now.

I mentioned before how he's so well behaved at training. Well, yesterday he graduated, with flying colours, from the puppy obedience class. He even did a stay for over a minute while I walked all the way around the room, with 3 other dogs left in untethered stays at the same time. So it's on to the grown up class next week. I have a suspicion that he was showing off in front of 4 new starters, but I was very proud of him Very Happy
Now I've just got to get him to be so good at home Rolling Eyes
veronique
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Julia
that is great news so please for you all sound positive and happy keep us posted xx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic