The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Pre-loved Briards View next topic
View previous topic
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read the recent thread on the subject of how long many Briards are living with interest, particularly because I love hearing other people's stories, and was especially interested to note that quite a few folks responded who had acquired adult Briards, which leads me to this post.
Our early problems with Brion have been well documented (probably too well!) but we wouldn't be without him and now I don't think any visitor to our house would imagine that there had ever been a problem with him. Walks remain slightly more of an issue but are very manageable. I'm off to walk this morning with Zizou, also acquired from Gilcoru when an older dog. Zizou is an absolute delight and a fantastic advert for the breed and breeder. Ditto Chipster, who I've had the privilege of meeting on Briardathons.
Does anyone else have stories to share? Do hope so.
Amanda
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi . jasper came to us at 10 months old and he was a right nut.
The breeder had him back and brought him form exeter to birmingham. he was underwieght and matted. he also had diariah as he was fed very little for his size.
the people who had him before were nieve.
After starting again with puppy food and building him up it took at least 3 months for him to settle down. but he did and was a lovely boy. he barked at most things.
he lived as you know untill christmas,just turned 11 years old. Crying or Very sad
I think most older briards have a chance of being rehomed.

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly, Amanda, thank you for such a compliment. Zizou is blushing here Embarassed

Zizou was 6 months old when we got him. He will be two at the end of April.

Linda, I am interested in your comments about Jasper's barking. Zizou is pretty much the same. He barks for Britain. He reacts to the TV, he barks to start play with other dogs, he barks because he's excited to go out, he'll sit and bark at his dinner bowl.... He just likes to be heard. Rolling Eyes When we first had him, for the first 6 months, he barked from early morning too. Once we got rid of his crate, he stopped that. Well... you still get a 7am "alarm bark", but I can live with that. It used to start between 04:30 and 5am, 7 days a week. He HATED that crate.
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our old boy Bee (Gilcouru) who sadly is no longer with us was a kennel dog. He came to us at 14 months as did not grow tall enough to become a stud dog. He was such a sweet heart and loved life. The first few months were hard going as he had to learn how to live in a house and adjust to all the sounds. We nick named him Conon the distroyer.

He soon learnt as all good Briards do the sofa, chairs and the bed are the best places to sleep. We had a working Beardie at the time and he learnt from her. She bossed him like mad and he loved it, as was close to his sister in the kennel. He got on well with the cats while in the house but loved to chase them if they were outside. He was wonderful with the kids when they came along too. He was a joy to have and is missed very much. He was our first Briard.

Belle is one of the Scottish 13 and has settled in so well. She is full of life and so sweet. She is competely daft and likes to bark at anything that moves outside. She is now totally at home and is trying to boss Milly around. We make sure Milly is treated as top dog at all times. We also had Rhian from the Scottish 13 who was a real lady and sadly no longer with us due to cancer.

Chaka who was another rescue dog who we fostered was wonderful with people but hated any other animals. She came from Spain and ended up in the Blue Cross and was classed as evil. We tried everything with her,training walking with Bee, dog shrink but to no avail. We were blessed to find her a lovely family on a farm who were willing to take her on. She was perfect with people but animals was a different story. Adored to play football and was really good. Very Happy So do not really see it as a fail, as she is happy and the family are too.

Regards,

Caitriona
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We acquired Ina when she was about 18 months old. She had been with a lovely family, who sadly had to give her up as their other dog kept fighting with her. ( I believe it was a male Australian cattle dog).

She appeared to settle in well with our 2 Tibetan terriers (1male, Rummage, now sadly no longer with us), & 1 female Sally). Things were sometimes difficult, as Sally was top dog & Ina wanted to be! I think when Rummage died things got worse & the 2 females started fighting, resulting in injuries & heartache.

We wanted to re-home Ina as my mum was gravely ill & it was a very stressful time. I cried buckets at the thought of having to uproot her again. (she was about 5 by this time). We had behaviour therapy etc, but this didn't work.

We kept Ina, & now keep her & Sally separate in the house & muzzled on walks. They have both adapted to this & seem quite happy & both get lots of loving attention. We do have times when we are all together in the same room, but the dogs have their own spots. We also inherited my mums Bichon, who Ina loves to chase & boss in the garden, (he is very blase about it all).

Having said all this, I would definitely have another Briard & was even considering the one on MT website. (although I'm not sure my sanity would last Laughing )

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We acquired our 9 month old male Briard, Leo from Gilcoru nearly 3 years ago. He was our fifth Briard, all males and we had just lost our then current two within weeks of each other. The death of the older dog was due to normal causes but the younger one had a very aggressive cancer and his death was totally unexpected. We were devastated but decided to go without a dog for a time to get over the shock. Our determination lasted 6 weeks and then we realised that we had to look for another Briard as quickly as possible
We found Leo and were due to leave for France within weeks but after 3 weeks we recognised that there was something wrong with him. Several vets visits followed and we were referred to Bristol University Animal Clinic. They were fantastic and although Leo had a serious, potentially life threatening problem, they operated immediately, looked after him for a few days and then called us to come and collect him.
Since then he has put on weight and become an extremely handsome and loving dog. Everyone who meets him, adores him. He now has a playpal, Bertie, who is a blach Briard and joined us at 9 weeks. We were afraid we would have a serious problem with the two boys fighting as with our previous two but, after some noisy arguments and some blood, Leo maintained his supremacy and Bertie is a happy 'devil', always up to mischief and he is now 2 years old. A happy ending following a dreadful experience.
lulu&lexi's mum
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ross came to us from Gilcoru as a 6 year old. He had lived in kennels, but adapted immediately to the comforts of a house! The only problem we had in the early days was at night - he would bark constantly and wee on the floor repeatedly unless someone sat with him. We soon solved it, though. One night in the wee small hours, and with a desperation born of exhaustion it occurred to me that he had been used to sharing his kennel with a female briard. Out of her crate came a sleepy Lulu and I constructed a makeshift 'kennel' in the corner of the kitchen for the two of them. Success! Ross strolled in and settled down as if to say "What took you so long?" Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All these ex-Gilcorus. Perhaps we should have a party for them! Brion too had shared a kennel with another, his sister. He too took to house living as to the Manor Born! The only problem we had over that was that when his new dog walker came to take him out, he absolutely refused! Blue cheese helped apparently. . . Amanda
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi SueH

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what was found to be wrong with Leo? However, I am pleased that things are okay now.

Debbie

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scans and keyhole surgery revealed an undersized liver with only a small part of it actually functioning. A hernia was found and this had allowed the liver to move through the diaphragm and into the chest. He was very underweight which had worried me when we first saw him but a vet check as soon as we brought him home did not confirm this. They operated and pushed the liver back and stitched him up from the top to bottom of his chest. He also had a narrowing of the heart valve but this wasnt serious.
About two years ago we were contacted by a student in London who was investigating this particular complaint for her thesis as little information existed. The results of this identified that a considerably shortened life was normal unless the operation was undertaken and we had been fortunate to recognise the problem at such an early age. He is now 44 kgs!
Martin Berry
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Merlin is a big barker but is a lovely dog in the house. No chewing of furniture, no destroying things, and he runs into his cage at 9pm for bed. Stays until 8am normally, or an unwilling 7 if workers are up and around, and never a cheep is heard! He barks at any sound at the door, upstairs as people move around or any other dogs, and sometimes he can be quite nasty with others. But on the whole he's responded really well to training and is just over a year old, from Shani in Chard.

I would love to have a companion for him but I think Fay's head would explode! Poor lad. Laughing
Michelle
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ahh we know why Merlin is a barker because his half sister Fleur is also a barker, so is his sister Bo, Blame the gorgeous Aslan, Laughing you will need to do what we do with Fleur and try not to shout back at him, to say be quiet as you are just adding to his game. It does work when he starts to bark say no and then call him to you in the different part of the room or garden and make him sit and give him a quiet street.

Good luck

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Michelle, I will also take your advice. Thanks.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic