The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Bring you his Bone. View next topic
View previous topic
Martin Berry
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When we go to get Merlin up in the morning, he searches round for his bone or toy and brings it to you in his teeth, like a gift. He does the same every time you come in the door or down the stairs, in fact sometimes you can see him searching wildly for something to bring you!

Is this common? A Briard trait? It's a lovely greeting from a lovely dog, and I'm just wondering if others also do this?

Martin x
jenny
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Golden Retriever who does this every morning and every time anyone arrives home. This appears to have rubbed of onto the Briard who also has to find a toy to greet you with. The difference between the 2 of them is the Goldie places the toy on your leg and then adjusts her hold on it invariably giving you a little nip! The Briard just pushes you with the toy, okay if its a soft toy not so okay if its the giant nylabone!!!

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Either a case of "your back, please play with me" or perhaps an act of submission for the returning pack leader?
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Roxy aged nearly nine has always done this. She doesn't actually want you to have the toy, but has to run around barking like mad to find one. Is it a unique briard greeting? We've only ever had a briard, our friends GS never did it when we visited. But Roxy does this for all visitors not just us.
Gail and Roxy
maxinecollins
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Meadow does this all the tome, when Clive goes to bed I only have to say, are you off to bed then and she has to have something in her mouth and barks at the same time, she is even worse when I put the iron and ironing board away, turning off the computer as well. If no one is in the house she will sit on the landing and just wait for us to say hello girl, but if one of us is in and the other one comes home she goes potty, barking like mad, Clive took her for a walk this morning before 8am and she always barks like mad until her collar and lead are on. Glad we are detached...

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Merlin, Must follow his Mum Tia, she always picks up the kong or something Laughing And stands there with it in her mouth for ages wagging her tail. Smile

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ina used to have a large rubber yellow bone which she used to pick up & 'show' you, she used to have a funny expression on her face as well, which we called her 'dopey' look. She wouldn't give it to you, just push it at you then walk off with it.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maxnick wrote:
Ina used to have a large rubber yellow bone which she used to pick up & 'show' you, she used to have a funny expression on her face as well, which we called her 'dopey' look. She wouldn't give it to you, just push it at you then walk off with it.

Must be a Briard thing, Dillon's the same it can be most annoying at times, he doesn't seem to realise that if he wants to play he has to give you the ball first. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For months we have thought our training skills must be especially poor because Zizou behaves exactly like Dillon when it comes to balls. We have to carry 2 or three as the only way to get him to drop one is to produce another. However, this thread has made me feel a little better about the situation: it's not us, it's him Wink Wink
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That doesn't work with Dillon, if we have another ball he still wont let you have the one he's got, and if you throw a ball for him to fetch he runs off with the ball still in his mouth and brings the same one back, so you end up fetching the other ball yourself.

It's the same if he has left a toy in the garden I send him out to bring it in ( theory is: he takes them out he brings them in Rolling Eyes) which he does do, but he has to take another one out to replace it before he brings the other back. Rolling Eyes Laughing
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ina hasn't yet got the concept either,that she has to give you the ball back so you can throw it for her. We have also tried to 2 ball trick, but we found that sometimes she can actually get 2 in her mouth at once Exclamation

The other thing she does with the balls (the nice hard rubber ones) is to take them to a rock pool (the deepest of course), & drop it in so no-one can pinch it (especially if she is having a wee, 'cos of course she can't do 2 things at once). She doesn't realise then that it is so deep, no-one can get it. Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

maxnick wrote:
We have also tried to 2 ball trick, but we found that sometimes she can actually get 2 in her mouth at once Exclamation

That's my reason for the third ball, but, I admit, I still end up covering the most ground, whilst kidding myself I'm ahead in the game. Embarassed
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend once told me that more intelligent dogs reason thus (with apologies to all those border collies out there who are obsessed with their balls). First throw of ball - I'll help them and bring it back. Second throw of ball - not sure about this but OK I'll help again. Third throw of ball - clearly they want rid of it, so there's no point in getting it again....

Os does the bone or other toy thing as a greeting both to us and visitors, kind of pokes you with it, he's definitely NOT giving it to you.

If Os decides to pick up a ball and takes a fancy to it we have no chance. Which only becomes a problem with one of those firm but not hard balls which can get stuck on a canine. He panics because he cant get it off and wont open his mouth as we would 'steal' it....no matter that he's just nicked it from another dog. Goes from funny to annoying to a bit worrying, but we've always got it off in the end, Os isn't often a dumb dog but....
karen
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile Cali always brings a gift to you when you come in ,one of her toys or anything she can grab first,but at bedtime she will bring her bone or her squashed squirrel to bed ,then lays half on the bed with her bum on the floor waiting for us to lift her bum on the bed, Laughing our boxer would just bring a toy to us when we got in, Smile
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A Jamais greets us with a toy upon us returning home. He also struts around with one in his mouth before going out for a walk. He usually brings a toy up to bed at night then down again in the morning.
We,also, bring 3 balls out with us. He will usually drop the first ball ( so we can throw the second one) but Loves it when he's able to get both balls. We then bring out the third until he drops the 2 balls. He can actually fit 3 in his mouth.....sometimes we think he tries to get the two balls when he's ready to finish playing.
We have lost way too many balls when he takes them into the stream and then watches them float away. Occasionally he'll fetch them & bring them out. But think he just likes to watch them floating away. It's far too steep & muddy for us to get down to the stream so we can only watch them go!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

karen wrote:
Smile ,then lays half on the bed with her bum on the floor waiting for us to lift her bum on the bed, Smile

Shocked I've got one of these briards! He waits for his bum to be lifted onto all sorts of things and, being the mugs we are, we've allowed it Laughing
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou wrote:
karen wrote:
Smile ,then lays half on the bed with her bum on the floor waiting for us to lift her bum on the bed, Smile

Shocked I've got one of these briards! He waits for his bum to be lifted onto all sorts of things and, being the mugs we are, we've allowed it Laughing

An another pair of mugs here.

Dillon's the same when we go out in the car, he'll put his front legs on the back seat and then wait of one of us to lift the back end in. Rolling Eyes
vicky-jasmine
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

despite the fact that jasmine completely cleared the sofa yesterday she too is one of thoes briards that will put her feet up and look at you to pick the rest of her up! Rolling Eyes
Net & Zebedee
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Carol Dillion is so funny - it's exactly like what we get from Zeb. You throw the thing he wants to play with and he goes for it returns with it and runs round you before running off with it again only to leave it somewhere. Or there's that game of you throw the ball I'll run after it jump on it and then wander off leaving it for you. Perhaps they're giving us some exercise? He also still does the front paws in the car and then wait. Sometimes he'll even look back at me like 'what are we waiting for'... Mostly I pull him back out and make him go again until he gets in but when I'm at work and there's an audience I am guilty of lifting him in just so they don't see me negotiating with him. Also he does like to take a Wubba out with him when he goes for a last pee - we think it makes him feel safe as he only does it on dark nights. Briards are priceless!! x

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roxy is really good and jumps in and out of the back of the car (suzuki jeep) I make it a game and we're eye to eye and have a kiss!
But our back garden is littered with her toys when she goes out for her late night wee, she takes something and rarely brings them back!
Gail and Roxy
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Net & Zebedee wrote:
but when I'm at work and there's an audience I am guilty of lifting him in just so they don't see me negotiating with him. Briards are priceless!! x

Audience Now there's the next thread starting right there... Laughing Mine adores an audience: the amount of times I've expected an RSPCA van to turn up because of the way Zizou plays to the gallery.. Shocked "Oh look at this animal cruelty right here; as this wicked woman is forcing me into the groomer's/car/ wherever." Wink
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh dear, what a control freak I must be, Brion does love to greet us with a toy, or a smelly sock, but I always make him put it 'in the bucket' and then give him a biscuit. As for retrieving things, he does sometimes try for a tugging game, which sometimes I humour him with, but I always ensure that he does pick the toy up and hand it to me or away it goes and that is the end of the game. What a bore that makes me sound (don't tell Brion, who thinks I'm the greatest still though!).
Your dogs, though (I've seen Zizou) will retrieve, or something like it(!) out on a walk. Brion is far too much on patrol when out and about to play then. The best that I can manage is to take his beloved Winnie (given him on the Winnie the Pooh Briardathon and still far and away his favourite) to his favourite safe walk when no one else is about and then he will chase and retrieve that and play hide and seek, but certainly not if anyone is looking!
Amanda
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jasper used to bring his big ball to us,

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic