The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Follow Up View next topic
View previous topic
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All

I watched the follow up programme on the above last night. To me it was just a repeat of the first programme. I wondered what everyone else's views were?

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was surprised she didn't mention anything about the German Shepherds, and it broke my heart again, watching the Cavalier rolling in pain and they still haven't done much about it. The poor Boxer seems to have worse health problems than before.

I just can't understand that nothing has really changed in 3 years and I still think the KC are sitting on the fence. Sad Sad
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was horrified. To me, there is a group of greedy callous people who let everyone else down. I know someone who had hereditary problems with her dog and has faced nothing but abuse from those associated with the breed. (It wasn't a briard.) I thought she was exaggerating until I saw written evidence of it. From what I've seen there are some nasty characters, who, unfortunately, give a bad impression of those who are trying to do things correctly. I don't think it is fair to decent dog breeders or to those hoping to buy a dog either. As for the poor dogs, who are living in pain because of all this, I think that is just blatant cruelty.

I was disappointed with the KC too.

This is just my opinion as a pet owner.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Totally with you Zizou. A really necessary piece of journalism. Health, health, health, not vanity please. We don't marry our cousins/siblings because it results in idiocy and congenital abnormalities and dogs are no different.
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to agree there was a lot of the same sad content. My heart broke watching the Cavaliers and also for the Boxers. To think that a vet breeds like this is awful. The lady who lost her show dog, said it all. " I don't need to show dogs. I want a healthy dog" I think she speaks for the majority of breeders.

Caitriona
Max Jones
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was a little disappointed with last night's programme (PDE2). Disappointed that there was rather a lot of footage from the previous programme and disappointed that there wasn't more emphasis on the efforts of the thousands of good, decent breeders that are doing their very best to breed healthy animals.

The Kennel Club has moved in the right direction over the last few years and deserves credit. It doesn't matter to me whether PDE took a chunk of credit for pushing them, at least there has been movement. However, I think the time has come for the KC to use the stick of enforcement as well as the carrot of education.

Health tests, where available, must be mandatory in all breeds and COI's must have a limit set upon them.
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Max - sorry if this makes me sound stupid but what are COI's?

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Debbie, I also need to ask what a COI is too?
Max Jones
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

COI stands for Coefficient of Inbreeding. It calculates what the liklehood is of duplicate genes from common ancestors meeting is. As an example, 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister will give you a COI of 12.5%. Father to daughter will give you 25%.

If there are other close relatives behind these pairings, that will add to the figure. The average COI for Briards is currently 3.3%.

You can calculate your own COI by going onto the KC website. Click on "Dog Breeding", then "Health Test Result Finder" and then you can use Mate Select to find the COI.

Last edited by Max Jones on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Max. Very Happy

I remember this being mentioned on the programme.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was greatly saddened too, indeed went to bed feeling quite sick because the animals shown are all dogs, those wonderful faithful trusting creatures who never asked to be bred into ridiculous forms for fashion's sake. .
As it happens we had a Pug (who has just died very suddenly aged 10) and I do think it is fair to say that he had no health problems at all but I had been told by a number of vets that we were very lucky in his health and I have now found out so much more that we wouldn't risk getting one again. We originally got him because we had met some dellightful Pugs and liked the notion that they have no original function as working animals other than as Temple dogs (possibly) in China and so have no working traits to train out, just a desire to be pets, and they do have the most delightful temperaments and deceptively sparky little natures (ours even climbed Snowdon in his heyday). Needless to say, the very squashed noses are a recent development. Past pictures of them show quite a different snout.
The callousness of it is shocking, as of course the programme makers intended the programme to show, and it focused just on health issues but I personally would have liked it to discuss temperament issues too but guess that that was beyond the scope of one programme.
Amnanda
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I did see the programe bnefore but not the last one. it all comes down to money again i guess.
i thought tail docking was elegal now. but spoke to a woman who had had her russel legaly done. why do they have to do this.
also the crossing of so many breads now is very worrying.
I actualy came across an alsation youngster with long legs and a straight back.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic