The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Do Briards need a car ramp? View next topic
View previous topic
BellaB
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, my 5 month old Briard isn't happy about going in the car. We seem to have got over the problem of her going to the toilet or being sick in the crate, but now she is nervous about getting in. I have tried putting her front paws in the boot and lifting her back end in, but wondered if anyone uses a car ramp. Obviously I don't want to encourage her to jump in and out as she is so young. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly I'd like to say "Welcome to the FBC"

With both our Briards firstly when we had Amber and now with Dillon he lies on the back seat with a safety harness on. Both were slow to get the idea of putting front paws on the seat and have always waited for us to lift the rear end in Rolling Eyes
But I think a ramp for getting in and out of the boot would be a good idea for a young dog and would be useful later on when they get older.
Roz & Tim
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Bella,
I'm afraid I can't advise you on car ramps (I've never even seen such a thing!). But like you, I didn't want Nero getting hurt jumping into the car when he was a puppy. So we always lifted him in. Now he's a humungous 4-yr old and we're still lifting him in! First we heft his front legs up, then it's a combination of hoisting and pushing his enormous butt in behind... We're the joke of the dog park. Laughing Everywhere around me I see bouncy collies and obedient labs leaping into their cars. I'm so jealous! All I can say is, there must be a point at which it is safe for them (and they can learn) to get into cars themselves. We clearly missed it with Nero - I hope you have better luck! Laughing

Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Neither of our two Briards took instantly to going in the car. Bertie started from 7 weeks and pooed every time (even when I tried just driving the car 100 yards and back to get him adjusted slowly!). The vet suggested just to keep on and make sure that he associated good walks with the car - and that did eventually work. Brion arrived at 4 years and freaked when first put in the car to come home from Wales, and lay panting on the floor for the whole four hour journey, and took much persuading for some time after that.
We just kept at it with both and eventually they got the hang and adored the car. Personally I wouldn't use a ramp unless I had to because our two Briards have been very good jumpers and, on the don't let them rule the roost principle (which of course we adhere to totally rigidly!!!), I wouldn't give in lightly on that one.
That of course is just me. . . I am hugely sympathetic to the pooing in the car number. I got pretty sick of that if you'll excuse the pun.
Amanda
Frank
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Henny just jumps in admittedly his first car was a Mondeo estate so no lip to over come and it was quite low but now he jumps into the back of the X-Trail with no bother. We weighed him recently and as he is 47.5 kilos its just as well that he does. Some friends have a ramp for their arthritic labrador and it works well so we may end up using a ramp when he is too old to jump and we are too old to lift him (I'm nearly there now!)

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Bella

Car ramps are a good idea. We use them with the girls when they were speyed and my old GSD boy when he had prolapsed discs in his back, and like you are asking, with youngsters to stop the additional impact on young joints.

They can depending on type, take up a lot of room in the vehicle and some are awkward to unfold and attach when you are also holding dogs on leads. Some are also more sturdy than others, for the larger more bouncy Briard. Magic uses ours more as a trampoline to propel herself into the vehicle, while Spirit walks up it sedately.

Also if your girl is sensitive, she may need careful introduction to a ramp. Tye was horrified by the ramp to start with and would try to jump past or over it.

If you want to try one, i am in Essex if you are passing Smile only have one available at the moment, the others are out on loan.

Karen
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Bella,

I bought a step from a big store (sells allsorts of stuff) it's a very sturdy plastic one which I think they use for getting into & out of caravans. We put some non slip stuff on it & bingo dog step. Cheap & cheerful & easy to stow (just invert it). I have it for my arthritic T.T, & Ina (my Briard) is getting used to it for getting into the car. (not so good for jumping out though)

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile we have been very lucky with Cali,we have never had any problems with her in the car ,we dont put her in a cage.never have never will,she lays on the back seat with her seat belt on,we made a little extra seat to go inbetween the back seat and the middle gap so she can lay straight down the middle of the car ,so her bum is on the back seat and her body, and her head is inbetween the two front seat ,and at first we would give her a nice treat to get her in the car but now you only got to say Going IN The Car ,and she gets all excited,she is 10mths old, Smile
BellaB
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

First of all, thank you everyone for your responses and also for making me feel so welcome on this new site. It is great to hear so many different tips and ideas from other Briard owners. I think I will keep an eye out for a foldaway ramp, but as one answer mentioned, she may be a bit wary at first. I'm sure she would love to sit on the back seat, but that would mean the children would have to go in the boot, and I don't think they would be very impressed with that idea! Many thanks for all the suggestions.
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi bella. we had jasper on the back seat too. as he got older we had a step for him to get onto the back seat.
this little collie we have now is not keen on getting onto the back seat, but have to incourage her.
i sometimes think it is beacuase they do not want to be seperated from us. Rolling Eyes

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic