The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 A holiday with the dog. View next topic
View previous topic
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We are thinking of taking Zizou to Ireland with us for a holiday. We have never been before and would welcome any suggestions from anyone who is familiar with the best places to stay, please. Is this the right way to go about asking such a question, or should I be asking in PMs? I'm not sure, so if I am going the wrong way about this, just let me know. Thanks.
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How fantastic, he'll love it. We're only going about 1hr away from where we live, to Ashbourne in Derbyshire in a converted barn. Lots of places round there are very dog friendly, and we've taken Roxy before with us, and she loves the fuss she gets. If you google dog friendly Ireland I bet loads of places will come up. We pack as much stuff for Rox as we do for us!
Good Luck Gail and Roxy off in three weeks
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The only thing I know about taking your dog on an Irish ferry is that they have to stay in your car and I don't think you can stay with them or check on them during the crossing, unlike the Scottish ferries where they let your dog go with you to certain areas of the boat. We have always been reluctant to leave ours for that length of time, worrying about the heat and the noise from all those car alarms going off, and so Ireland has got to wait until we are between dogs, although I appreciate that many dogs are quite chilled about being left in the car.
We took Oscar to Arran, Jura and Mull, while Hugo has been to Islay and Arran. Skye was the easiest because you can just go across the bridge! Hugo's been twice. We love hiring a cottage and spending a relaxing week going for lovely walks with him! Hope it works out for you in Ireland.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, we have never been to Ireland with the dogs before, but have been on a ferry. I don't know how long your journey will be, but when we have been to France, the journey is 6hrs (day), 9 hrs (night). We just made sure the dogs had a light meal well before travelling, A good walk, and they seemed to sleep all the journey.
It does get warm, so leave a little water & air gap on windows.
I was allowed to check on the dogs 1/2 way through journey, in case they needed toiletting. (check with ferry company). Keep stuff handy (wet wipes/paper towels/poo bags in case of accidents. I am sure you probably know this anyway, but we have been caught out with a loaded car & all the essential stuff at the bottom! Bon Voyage

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you so much for all your advice. You have given me plenty to think about. Of course, now I'm tempted by the Scottish Isles too now. I have not been up that way for years. My husband has never been to that part of Scotland. Hmmmmm.... Laughing And where you go Gail sounds great too. And France? France is a lovely place too. Very Happy
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, well, the beauty of France is that you can go through the tunnel and don't need a ferry!
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
This is where we go, Linda one of the posters on here always took her Jasper to Derbyshire, they make dogs and owners really welcome.
http://www.nethertonhall.co.uk/
Gail and Roxy
PS We haven't tried abroad well not with Rox!
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can i add a caution to this if travelling by Ferry ( not applicable for Ireland ) but I have read more than one article in the dog press about dogs left in vehicles on ferries dying through the heat two champion Bouvier Des Flandres died due to this very reason - the oweners were distraught - the heat can be extreme and they left the windows open plus water down which was upset in the car , its so easy on the euro tunnel and of course you are never parted from your dog so please please just be cautious and check it out first

Teseny Briards
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Yvonne. I will bear that in mind.
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We travel to France about 6 times a year and we always go with Britanny Ferries from Portsmouth to St Malo - a 10 hour crossing. We used to put Norbert into the kennels at the back of the car deck but small yapping dogs really wound him up. He nows stays in the car with the sunroof wide open and all windows open 6 inches - plus a large crate fan which lasts up to 16 hours. BF allow you down to the car twice during the crossing to water and exercise the dogs. They also turn on massive fans to blow air through the car deck when hot. Norbert has never suffered during the crossing. In December, we suffered Force 10 gales, 80 mph winds and as we could not enter St Malo harbour - too dangerous - we then had another 6 hour sail to Roscoff. The boat was littered with sick humans but all the dogs were fine!

In France, the majority of restaurants and hotels are dog friendly so it is very easy to organise a holiday. "No dogs" is an exception! Smile
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks very much. I appreciate all these replies.
Roz & Tim
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Like you we'd love to go for a lovely Irish holiday - I'm sure Nero would be fine, it's Tim who's not keen on the ferry (his brilliant idea is for me and Nero to take the ferry and then pick him up at the airport Shocked I don't think so..!). So we'd love to hear of places people recommend in Ireland.

We've also had a lovely 2 week holiday driving round the Scottish Highlands and Inner Hebrides. If you change your mind and go there I can recommend some fab places that allow dogs to stay. Very Happy

Roz

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Roz. I will be sure to let you know what I find out about Ireland. x
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We have not been to ireland but have always taken our dog with us on holiday in this country.
there are a lot of places that will accept them.
i believe they actualy enjoy like us the change.

Lynne Hutchinson
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Took ours to the Scillies last year, it's a passenger ferry only and they were great. Wasn't too busy so they had a chair each to sit on and watch everyone else! Had a fantastic holiday, just popping up to Devon/Cornwall border this year in a cottage by woodland, ideal. Wouldn't be at all keen on having to leave them in the car on a ferry.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Lynne, tell me more about the Scillies! Was it a car free holiday then? How did you reach your accommodation and where did you stay? What was the scenery like? Did you do lots of walking?
vicky-jasmine
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've always wanted to take the ferry over to france but didn't even consider the ferry crossing for jazzy!!! she wouldn't like the kennels and loud noise at all!! however we have a caravan with plenty of space we would tow over so I would just stick her in there with a dvd on loud! Laughing
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

vicky-jasmine wrote:
I've always wanted to take the ferry over to france but didn't even consider the ferry crossing for jazzy!!! she wouldn't like the kennels and loud noise at all!! however we have a caravan with plenty of space we would tow over so I would just stick her in there with a dvd on loud! Laughing

When we had Amber we took her to France many times but we always used the Channel Tunnel it only takes 35 mins and you all stay in the car. We often went to the South of France doing a one night stop over at one of the many Campanile Hotels, they are very dog friendly you can even take your dog with you into the dining room.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is our holiday with the dogs, we live in Cornwall, Wey hey!Image

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can recommend Heddonsgate Hotel in Parracombe just outside Lynton - lovely family run hotel and they love dogs who are allowed everywhere but the dining room. Gorgeous walking country too in Heddon Valley which is all National Trust.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is great: all your help and recommendations. Thank so much. Very Happy xx

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic