The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Mischief View next topic
View previous topic
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We know our briards have special characters, but what mischief do yours get up to? You know, those episodes that you can't quite tell them off because you can't keep a straight face.

Chewy is a thief. No t-towel, oven glove or cloth in the kitchen is safe. He empties the washer and dryer, and grabs them off the worktop and will either disappear into the garden with them or jump around the couch goading me to chase him. If I try to ignore him, he'll drop it near me and then make a dive to grab it back before I get it. It's a 50/50 win rate for us both. Good job he's not allowed upstairs as I'm sure he'd have a field day in the bathroom.

I mentioned in an earlier post about him being nosey. In the garden his latest antic is to climb on top of the rabbit hutch (see picture I've posted in the album). I'm sure thats so he can have a nosey over next doors fence as well as stealing the bits and bobs that used to be out of his reach.

There's loads more examples, but what do yours get up to?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think we are ucky with Ina, as she isn't really a naughty dog, she rarely steals things & doesn't chew. But a few nights ago we were sat having a lazy tea on our laps, when she did a 'drive by' theft of some french bread off my o/halfs plate.
She is prone to giving you a hard nudge with her nose when you are in the kitchen preparing food.
If I go out shopping, she will make herself at home on the sofa & jump off as soon as she sees the car Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Well, that's my morning started with a laugh. Zizou managed to get off his collar the other week and follow my hubby into the doctor's surgery. Embarassed Embarassed I wouldn't mind, but once he was in, he saw people who were more exciting than my hubby, and chose to "meet" them instead.

Like Chewy, we get the oven glove/dish cloth antics on a regular basis. Like Ina, he lets you know about his presence when in the kitchen. Zizou gets himself between me and the work surface so any food that happens to drop goes straight into his waiting jaws.

And he can be lazy. He must be lifted gently into the car. Any car, regardless of the height. Last week, we took a 10 year old, apparently arthritic?, staffie with us for a walk and she jumped up over Zizou to get into the back of the car! She was up and in before I had a chance to think! Zizou is 2. Laughing
I was wrong- the staffie is 13!
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maxnick wrote:
I think we are ucky with Ina, as she isn't really a naughty dog, she rarely steals things & doesn't chew. But a few nights ago we were sat having a lazy tea on our laps, when she did a 'drive by' theft of some french bread off my o/halfs plate.
She is prone to giving you a hard nudge with her nose when you are in the kitchen preparing food.
If I go out shopping, she will make herself at home on the sofa & jump off as soon as she sees the car :lol:

Amber use to go on the bed when we went out as soon as she heard the key in the door she would get off the bed and make her way to the living room, never quite quick enough we always saw her back end disappearing round a cupboard, she would then turn round and come to meet us as if she'd been in the living room all the time. The fact there was a large warm rumpled patch on the bed proved otherwise. Laughing She did once take some cheese off the top of a few cream crackers leaving them still in place (clever girl)

Dillon did take a slice of bread from the table and left a steak on the plate next to it. Rolling Eyes
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Carol, you have reminded me of the time Zizou nicked the cheese and most of the tuna out of a sandwish, but he didn't fancy the bread Shocked
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugo is pretty good where food is concerned, although he sits with his paw on my leg when I'm preparing food. He does, however like to wipe his face on my legs. He thinks this is most amusing when he has just shoved his face into some mud. I swear he is laughing while he chases me. He was terrible as a pup, always emptying the washing machine and running off with things, but he has calmed down now, thank goodness!
He's also not supposed to go any further than the top of the stairs, but the minute my husband shuts the front door behind him, he runs wild. Similarly, he dashes back when he hears him returning. Oh, the control and respect I have!
lulu&lexi's mum
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as food goes, we're still puzzling about how Ross managed to eat half a bowl of tuna pasta bake which was on top of the oven under a bread board.... and then replace the bread board Shocked !

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You name it - Nero does it! Tea towels are saved for occasions when he feels he's not getting enough attention. There we are, watching tv and Nero will trot by in front of us with a tea towel hanging out of his mouth. Ignore him and he'll trot past again waiting for someone to chase him. Mail, of course, goes without saying. Every morning it's a race to get to the post before it gets shredded into confetti...

But food is the worst. And we were doing so well (no human food!) until the mother-in-law came to visit a couple of years ago. The stress of taking his mum out for lunch made Tim temporarily forget the rule and he gave Nero a french fry covered in pate. Really, there's no going back from that, is there? Now when we eat Nero lies at on our feet with his bony elbow(?) resting on our toes. If he feels the meal is disappearing too quickly without him getting his share he'll start to lean, harder and harder, until practically the entire weight of a humungous 4-year old briard is transmitted through his elbow onto our delicate toes. Give him a titbit and the weight miraculously vanishes!

And yes, he too does the dry-your-wet-face-between-the-nearest-humans-legs trick. Nothing like your dog making it look like you've wet yourself on the long walk back to the car... Laughing

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Roz--this is like reading about my boy Zizou. Laughing
lyndamargate
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chipter
is in to every thing you have mentioned.tea towels oven glove etc when preparing food she i there under my feet !!!!
But when I go to work !!!! We have a budgie and in the winter I leave the cage on the side in the kitchen and Chipter pinches any fruit I have given the bird.. once when I came home from work a melon was missing from the kitchen side...I found it up stairs on my bed untouched I still have no idea how she got it there !!!!!
Love her xxxx
Linda and Jasper
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jasper was not too bad apart from one day i was going out the back i turned around and looked through the window to see him lick to butter off my toast and sit there like he had done nothing. erghhhhhhhhhh how many times had he done that and i never new. Rolling Eyes

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha ha Very Happy Some things you just don't want to contemplate Linda. However...I will be looking more closely at my toast of a morning.
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just knew Chewy wasn't the only mischievous briard around.

Linda - the toast would have been gone in a flash in our house and the plate would be so scruptulously licked that you'd be wondering if you actually made the toast.

I have a bread maker and he's managed to get hold of a few freshly baked loaves, destroying them in seconds. Now it's a case of letting them cool as far back on the worktop as possible and trying to remember to keep the gate closed to the kitchen. He stole the ham out of my son's sandwich one day, and was just going back to get the barm when he was caught.
You can't leave any food unattended.

He does know the 'wait' command, but for some reason he only applies that to his own food.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Despite only coming up to 6mths, Gato has already had a catalogue of food stealing episodes. At around 10 weeks, having a barbeque with friends (and generally keeping an eye out for him), he still managed to run off with a string of sausages.

Then last month, we'd visitors from Spain who were preparing a chorizo sandwich for themselves - they turn around and can't find the packet of chorizo anywhere (or the dog for that matter).

And finally, only yesterday, had a wrap on a plate (on counter), loyal <s>companion</s>shadow, turn around to go to the fridge and suddenly no sign of dog or wrap.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Zizou once ran off with a tourist's sandwhich bag in front of Windsor castle. Embarassed We were dying of shame, but the holiday maker found it hilarious and took photos of him.
jean eckford
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy he he i love all these storie,s yesterday i sat down with tea and toast, few mins later the phone rang when i got back my toast had simply dissapeared hmm! funny fluke and clyde were nowhere near, I had to question myself, did i ? or did i not eat it? dont think i did.....
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm. I'm glad that Dinah's many new accomplishments don't include learning to read. She and Brion have just returned from kennels. I thought we were dong OK at 'heel'. You should have seen the poor kennel girl come up from the kennels. I believe that Briards used to pull carts in the past. She came up with a two in hand, leaning back as hard as she could against the strain. Once they reached the reception area, there was a clatter of claws and in our two came, with girl no longer attached. They'd pulled her right off her feet!
Now that they're back, naughtiness seems to be the order of the day. What have we taken on with young Dinah?! At present her favourite pastimes are biting the stems off plants and galloping round the garden with them, also digging up whole plants (if expensive and newly planted) and bringing the whole thing, earth included ,into our living room, and shaking it heartily and thoroughly.
She doesn't - so far - nick food often but she spends happy hours playing one upmanship games with Brion over all toys and also any 'booty', such as a newly cut block of wood. She goes to ground under a table that he can't get under, and sits there with the treasured object tantalisingly in her mouth, while he lies in wait, pouncing hopefully but ineffectively at intervals.
He, it must be said, has another ploy, which is to lie with a bit of booty right in the middle of the doorway so that she can't pass him without noticing, and having to creep by!
It is definitely good that she can't read!
Amanda
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love hearing the antics of Brion & Dinah, they are quite a pair aren't they? Keep up the tales please.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Me too Amanda. Keep the tales coming please. Very Happy Zizou is saying "those two are making me look not so bad." Wink
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We cannot claim that Norbert is the best trained briard in the land - he always managed to get his trainer to give him a "well done, Norbie" not by doing the tasks correctly but by leaning against her legs and generally being "lovable"! He gets bored with training exercises after a few times - stand/sit/down becomes stand/down and you can see him thinking " why waste time sitting? Recalls are another chore - the first is done at breakneck speed, the second a saunter and the third practically a crawl!

Debs, his trainer, loved his unpredictability, and asked him to be a "pupil" in the APDT Assessment courses last year. The first girl being examined was lucky - Norbert was in fine form and did all the exercises perfectly. Sit, down, walk to heel, recall, weaving in and out of other dogs off lead, ignoring food. 10 out of 10. The second girl was not so lucky. She decided to use Norbert to show the class how to do the first exercise. Norbert was having none of it. He lay down. No amount of treats or cajoling was going to get him to change his mind. He assumed his tried and tested position - the dead weight - by lying on his back with legs in the air. Until he spotted Debs, his old trainer in the kitchen area at the far end of the hall. That was it - he was off like a rocket with the poor girl being hauled, feet almost off the ground, along behind him. She was not very amused but the assessors and the rest of the "class" thought it was hilarious. He has now been invited back to take part in this years assessment but asked to do more classes and "be himself"! I hope the trainers being assessed on Sep 8th/9th know what they could be letting themselves in for! Very Happy
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Norbert sounds great: charming and a delight. What more could we ask for. Wink
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I love it! Amanda
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugo's started playing up at his class. He won't listen to anything I say, just goes through his entire repertoire and then gives a high-pitched, indignant yap if I don't give him a treat. He's taken to sticking his head through my legs and barking at people behind me if we are asked to demonstrate anything. Everyone else is in stitches. Even the instructor just says "I love it when they're naughty!" I hope it's just a phase!
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds like two standard poodles in a class I used to go with. WE all used to laugh until we cried, which of course made the dogs play up even more. Their timing was impeccable! Amanda
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Taking Dillon to training was a waste of time he just thought it was a big game, sit, down, and stay wasn't a problem, but walking to heel no chance, Dillon thought it meant see how high I can jump, then it was run round Mommy's legs and see if I can trip her up after that the rest of the class was a waste time he wouldn't do anything he was told and had the rest of the class in fits of laughter. After weeks of tears of frustration I ended up walking out of a class and going home, I've never gone back.

Looking back at it I think taking him to training was making him worse, after a few weeks walking to heel was almost natural to him and most of his problems stopped, he still isn't keen on other dogs but he's getting better.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Carol, I have learned that they seem to have their own very distinct personalities. I'm not so surprised that Dillon decided to walk to heel at "his leisure" Very Happy

Zizou has strong ideas about returning a ball. When it is just me and him, he is great. However, as soon as my husband appears it's "chase me." No matter what treats my husband has, Zizou just wants him to chase him and that is that! We have tried to change his mind for 18 months or so, but I think we need to give up Shocked
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the latest APDT assessment weekend has finished, much to my relief - but it was not incident free.

First trainer asked the 6 owners to sit on the plastic chairs with their dogs standing at their side. Suddenly, there was a loud but steady "thump, thump, thump...........". This caused a little consternation with the assessors and it was a good 1 - 2 minutes before they realised it was Norbert whacking his tail against the back of my chair! Then during the one hour session, Norbert would be executing the exercises fine until the trainer came within 5 feet of him when she became much more interesting. He loves the game of crutch head-butting!

Trainer 2 had us playing "musical dogs" - trotting round the room and when the music stops, last dog to sit was out. Norbert was out first each time! Both trainers used the dogs in the class to demonstrate the next exercises - apart from Norbert. I think his size put them off!

Trainer 4 got the short straw. By now, Norbert was bored with the exercises and his default position for most of the session was lying on his side with his tongue hanging out. This caused the trainer to continually ask about his health and if he needed water ( he had already emptied the bowl 10 minutes earlier!). I finally persuaded Norbert to get "involved in the last exercise of mini recalls. This was fine until we got to one end of the hall. He refused to move away from the end. When I tried to tug him, he sat down. Another tug made him lie down. A handful of treats held against his nose only made him roll onto his back with his legs in the air. By this time, the trainer was really worried. Did Norbert need water? Did I want to take him home? It turned out that the trainer had placed his treat bag on the table at that end of the room and Norbert had either seen it or could smell it, hence the refusal to move away. Once the treats were removed, normal service was resumed!
Very Happy
His final act was to enthusiastically greet his old trainer and the rest of the Assessors. Unfortunately, he was so excited, pushing them and the chairs and table that one cup of tea was knocked over. Ho hum!
Sad
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ha ha Laughing What a character. Go Norbert.... xx
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brilliant. I would say proudly, 'Those magnificent Brion genes,' but actually Brion always tries his absolute hardest at Obedience classes. There he's always the Good Boy of the group!!! It must be all down to Norbert's mother, or maybe his owner!! Amanda
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was alone in the house last night apart from Zizou. Went to bed as usual, closing the stair gate, as he has the run of the house downstairs and I wanted to read a good book. I fell asleep, and in the middle of the night there was a frightening bang! It turns out that Zizou has learned that the quickest way to open the stair gate is to throw his whole body weight at it so it collapses. Then he runs upstairs, sounding like a herd of elephants and crashes into the bedroom, jumping on the bed and terrifying me. I nearly died Shocked

We went through the ritual of me chasing him round upstairs in an attempt to get him back in the living room, which I did eventually. Then I reassembled the gate, got back into bed, and the game began again.

So I made him sleep on the bedroom floor. Great, until he starts barking in the early hours because the bedroom window was open and he could hear the cats. It's been a long night. Wink
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Blimey!! hope you catch up on your sleep..... Os never shows any signs of jumping anything but when he was a pup he mysteriously appeared the 'wrong' side of a child gate a few times, we could never get him to do it when we were watching.... We also used to leave him with the kitchen door shut but he managed to open it more than once which as we have old fashioned thumb latches was quite an achievement. So guess what, child gates long gone and kitchen door left open, as usual the dog wins ..... but he doesn't get to sleep in our bedroom - honest. He's generally pretty good at night, tho' birds nesting up the chimney get him going. You must have had some fright and I thought our furry friends carried the added bonus of protecting us, not scaring us half to death....
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Zizou usually stays downstairs no bother, even when it is just me at home. Something made him decide last night he was coming up. They get things into their heads and there's no stopping them. ha ha.
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I knew when I started this thread back in July that Chewy wasn't going to be the only mischief in this briard community.

Thanks Brion, Zizou & Norbert for your latest antics. I needed a good laugh Laughing

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still take my 'old' boy to obedience, mainly as the trainer likes to use him as a guide to what you can achieve!!!!!! (and he likes to meet up with his friends every week). I soon learned that this Briard learned the exercises very quickly and then even more quickly learned how NOT to do it. He can fetch,away,find,stay etc BUT only on his terms,and also if he needs to show off to a newcomer. The first fetch is quite quick, the second carries a very resigned look usually at the trainer and a loud sigh but just try it a third at your peril!! Of course by now the class is in hysterics which is when he takes his bow and collapses flat out with sometimes a snore to accompany it!!!

Wouldn't change him for the world - Monday night is comedy night.

Kathy and 'heaven help me' Zeta
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

kathy morgan wrote:
and a loud sigh

Kathy and 'heaven help me' Zeta

Oh Kathy, we have thought we were imagining that Zizou was sighing in exasperation. Now I realise he is frustrated with us. I certainly get a huge sigh if I am taking too long to do something he wants done quickly. Laughing

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic