The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Wet Beards View next topic
View previous topic
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just a thought has anyone else got a Briard who deliberately fills their beard with water to come and greet you. Kari Ann has a drink then puts her head in my lap and it's like someone has poured a cupful of water over me. All my other Briards just get normal wet beards when drinking, but I'm sure she does this on purpose, she also gets me from behind looks like I've wet myself Embarassed Little madam knows she done it as she trots off, I'm sure laughing Laughing

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, Enya does. I use a coconut handcream on my hands and when I have put the handcream on and almost rubbed it in I rub my hands under the beard and it helps keep her beard tangle free - well thats the theory - she waits for me to do this and then deliberatly goes and has a drink and promptly comes back and pushes her head and wet beard between my legs so it looks like I have wet myself - she definitely does this on purpose I am convinced!
Carol L
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes , I also had one who filled his mouth with water but only did it to visitors who didn't like dogs or were particular about hair on their clothes.He would wait until I wasn't looking go outside have a drink, come back in and rest his head on their lap , letting the water dribble out.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It must definitely be a Briard trait. Laughing Ina loves to get a mouthful of water & then walk around dispensing it everywhere.
The worst is when she goes to a muddy puddle & then comes to 'crutch' you, Great, Muddy, wet pants!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am going to try the handcream help with the tangles. Thanks Dollybug. Smile
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I read this thread when it first appeared with a smile, it was amusing but really didn't apply to Ossie. Now we have Snoopy I remembered it and thought - oh dear. After Snoopy has had a drink there is an extraordinary trail of water all over the floor, how does one so small create so much mess? And his beard (such as it is so far) seems to be permanently wet. He is too small at the moment to create the 'wet crutch' effect but I can see it coming. Steve is convinced that the difference from Ossie is in the way they drink. That Os puts his mouth and nose in the bowl while Snoopy puts the whole of his chin in the water. The wet head resting on trouser legs is not so bad at this time of year but I'm not looking forward to the wet chin in winter. Perhaps Snoopy will watch Ossie drink and learn but I can't say I'm optimistic.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They do grow out of the carrying water everywhere (eventually), but I cannot interrupt Ina when she is having a drink, or a swift turn of the head & water is all over the place. She is getting slightly better. I do have a doggy facecloth by the bowl to wipe her beard!

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At what age do they grow out of this then, Enya is nearly 6 and shows no signs at all of growing out of it.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A towel by the bowl - now there's a thought, think I will go with that one for now. Our floor is like a permanent skating rink so anything that helps.
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well mine are 8 now and the floor can be awash with water when they drink but they can also be quite dry and clean too, Vernon got me last night twice while on the phone cold wet beard in my lap worse because I was wearing shorts Laughing My old boy used to bring his towel when he'd had a drink for you to dry him think I'll have to teach these two to bring a towel although with their sense of fun don't hold out much hope Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At least you haven't yet done the slipping on a banana skin imitation that I managed last week when I turned too sharply on a Briard soaked bit of kitchen floor. I've been hobbling for days since. Brenda's two would probably have given Briard chuckles as I pulled myself up on my feet, groaning. Dinah is a champion licker, so she was just delighted to find me at face level . . . Amanda
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dollybug wrote:
At what age do they grow out of this then, Enya is nearly 6 and shows no signs at all of growing out of it.

Ina is 8yrs old & doesn't carry it now, but does sometimes drop it by the bowl if distracted whilst drinking Laughing I have a floor towel too , to prevent slipping Wink

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh and another thing..... When Os has a drink the water left in the bowl is, well water, reasonably clean water. When Snoopy has a drink what is left is absolutely filthy, full of earth and general dirt. YUK
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My girls dont seem to do it but Zorro does big time, then drips all over the kitchen tiles, ready for me to slip on Laughing

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
twonky
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The bar maid in the pub near me now has a fosters beer mat beside the water bowl in anticipation of a briard visit!

MY gran came to visit bex for the first time wearing cream trousers... Looked like the home had neglected her thanks to a soggy briard beard! Very Happy
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic