The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 posh pet View next topic
View previous topic
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just in case anyone else has a pampered pet, Brion would like me to advise their owner that pieces of Waitrose rustic bread topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon are a very acceptable way to administer medicine!
Brion has been suffering a lot, he has told us frequently, over a very swollen toe (which is thought to be caused by a cracked toenail which has let in a nasty infection probably not spotted quickly enough by his owners due to his furry feet), and he is now on his second type of antibiotics, which seem to be working (phew!) at last but this second lot are huge and he needs three and a half pills, and our vet prefers hand delivery to crushing them up in his food. Hence the smoked salmon and cream cheese!
Hope you're reading this, Marilyn and getting in supplies (he is due in her kennels on Friday)!!!
Amanda
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DO NOT tell Ossie this. He is very partial to smoked salmon. He is very happy with dairylea for his pills - I don't want him getting ideas. Has Brion got the huge and very expensive pink pills? Os had those earlier this year when he was unwell and was very happy to be getting even more cheese as it took a lot to coat them. In fact we just say cheese now and he trots off to the kitchen with a definite bounce.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, huge and pink and very expensive. Hubby is muttering about 'high maintenance pets'. . . Amanda
YAM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have found a cheaper option - Tesco Reduced fat Brussels Pate goes down a treat and is infinitely less messy than cream cheese or dairylea. In a tub it is so easy to take spoonful and then push pills in and use other spoon to mould 'the package'. All our dogs can eat off a spoon so no sticky fingers. At the last look a tub costs 89p-so no pampered Briard here -joke Laughing
Yvonne
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go and then maybe get in a supply for Marilyn. Amanda
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We used cheap pate for Os and he was very happy with it but we got a bit worried about the salt as he has to have pills twice a day. Cheap pate is very salty. Talking of posh pets Os does like foie gras ..... I know I know it's deeply unacceptable but he doesn't know that.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You are very naughty spoiling your dogs with 'Waitrose' smoked salmon, or is it just their bread? Laughing
Sally has tablets every day & I give her sardines in tomato sauce, but as a special treat, sometimes she gets smoked salmon too (Aldi do a nice one, which I buy for me & she has a bit), but when they all smell it there is a queue. They also like pate too, in fact just about anything really. Gosh we do spoil them don't we?

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Young Brion (7 actually) now has a very smart blue bandage on his foot and is feeling much better, playing happily with his toys and with Dinah, and very keen indeed to head the queue at the food counter - for what are now three different sorts of pills, on rather stale Waitrose bread today, plus smoked salmon pate!!
Although his spirits had improved the toe inflammation hadn't gone down and it turns out that he was being very brave indeed because our vet x-rayed the toe yesterday and discovered what I had suspected, but hoped I was wrong about, that the bone at the tip had disintegrated - either due to bone inflammation or cancer. As a result she amputated the toe up to the middle joint (reckoning that that would give a sufficiently clear margin and avoid too big a wound with all the risk of infection for that) and our brave boy is now so much happier. I'm afraid that he would have been in a lot of pain, she said, and he'd been trying so hard, making sure very carefully that he weed on the side that meant the painful leg was in the air, and sometimes just standing leaning against us, just imploring. . .
So on with the pills and thank Goodness for the coming heatwave because of all the business of keeping the dressing dry, and lots more trips to Waitrose (no, not really - I'd just happened to have made a rare visit the other day!).
Amanda
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amanda
I'm so glad Brion toe has been sorted out and hope he recovers quickly. Keep up the good work with the Waitrose bread and smoked salmon pate. Laughing

Carol
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor old Brion - we all wish him a speedy recovery with loads of treats!!! (Even if they are disguising pills...)
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Brion, I hope after all your paw trouble you are going to be spoilt rotten, & I don't mind your mummy getting you the posh stuff from Waitrose (you deserve some pampering). Big hugs & not forgetting one for Dinah too.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh poor Brion. How awful that he's been in so much pain. Glad you were quick to sort things for him, poor baby. He deserves to be spoilt rotten so keep up the good work!
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the concern for Brion. Now I have to report that all the attention seems to have gone to his head. He bounced into the vet's, who pronounced his wound to be healing brilliantly, exchanged his fetching blue bandage for a bright yellow 'sunshine' one and celebrated back at home by gallumphing up our exceedingly tricky and narrow stairs (which normally he leaves well alone because he's scared himself and me in the past by finding it very hard to brake on the way down). He's trying to play endless wild games with Dinah, chase every real and imagined squirrel out of the garden, in fact I'd quite like to put him back in his box!!! How are we to keep his bandage dry and in place at least until Monday, when it will hopefully come off, though the foot underneath is not a pretty sight; he seems to have swapped his lovely furry 'slipper' for a rather scrawny chicken's foot - from what I could see at the vet's. Brion had a good look and sniff then too, and didn't seem too impressed himself. . .
Amanda
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah I know the big expensive pink pills too. Zizou gets them ground down with a pestle and mortar and swirled into greek yoghurt. I am sure he would prefer the salmon option though. Very Happy

I'm sorry to hear Brion has had more trouble with that paw. I'd wrongly assumed he had got better. Poor lamb. Crying or Very sad

I know he is in good hands though and am sure Dinah is keeping him highly amused. I wonder if she will grow up with a love of Waitrose smoked salmon? Zizou doesn't know there is such a thing...yet. x

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic