The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 encouraging new comers- taken from fb topic View next topic
View previous topic
vicky-jasmine
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

this is following a discussion on facebook regarding falling cc's and encouraging new exhibitors into showing. Thought it might be easier to post it on here! plus it would be interesting to know from people who dont show your opinions on showing too!

hi all, I know this response is a bit overdue (and apologise in advance for the massive essay!) but I have been debating for a while if I should or should not post on this topic but after doing a bit of surfing the web today I decided I would. Iím 22 and I got my first briard jasmine about a year ago now and have shown her 4 times so far, so I am very much a newbie and have a lot to learn. I have always lived with briards but never shown. I live in Bristol and as a child I would occasionally go to the bath show but didnít really know what it was all about and who was who, we just went to see all the briards together!!
It is only down to my dadís dream and the support and encouragement of jasmines breeder carol and phil that I got into showing. Before jasmine was born my breeder encouraged us to meet her at a few shows to observe showing and meet people in the showing crowed! I must admit I was baffled by some of the sights I saw at our first show when trying to find our ring, luckily not from our breed! An example that I find it quite amusing and that I see all the time is how, being at a dog show, some peopleís faces of sheer disbelief and horror that a passing dog may so much as sniff them. I also hear alot of things that go on at shows from my ringcraft group. Obviously I except that itís a competitive hobby so obviously people are going to get a little bit stressed but there are some silly goings on that may put people off, Iím getting use to it now and just find it funny really! :p
When showing I actually struggle quite a lot with my nerves, I get which I can only describe as major stage fright when in the ring with each show I do I get a little better and enjoy more and more so hopefully that will go away soon!! It helps that in recent timeís people from all different camps have been very encouraging with me and have given me some valuable feedback which I really appreciate. Also some of the judges as well have sensed my nerves and put me at ease when in the ring.
For new comers to showing there is a distinct lack of info out there about how to show, what to expect, how it works (ie how to make up a champ, junior warrant, how to qualify for crufts ect), the show etiquette (ie what clothing to wear, if its ok to bait in the ring or not and if its ok to talk to other exhibitors or not) and the rules and regulations of showing. I had no idea where to find a ring craft group, what to enter jasmine into when we first showed and what equipment I needed luckily I had a lot of advice via fbc, my breeder and others so I was pointed in the right direction, but I know of others who had no idea and showed up to their first show completely under prepared!
Then obviously thereís the cost of showing! Along with the expense of entering for a show thereís the expense of the travelling, over night stays, show leads, grooming ect. I have struggled at times to enter shows, for example this month Iíve paid almost £100 for 2 shows, one having caravan stay with it, that is a lot of money for potentially one run around a ring!
Now that Iíve shown a few times Iíve had a few people from other groups within the breed, my ringcraft group and also a hilarious steward give me advice and I really appreciate that, and give a big thanks to those people. also I have made friends and had chats and advice from people via the friendly briard club (again a big thanks to you too!) and I think its fabulous that we have this facility to keep in touch with all the briard community and to show the people from outside the breed that we briard owners are a nice bunch!! I must especially thank my dad and boyfriend mike for driving me all over the country and every Wednesday to ring craft, carol and phil for introducing me to showing, some lovely people and giving me so much support and advice and the Fostebrie show team for taking me under your wing!
My final comment is, as the kennel club are not really advertising and educating people on showing very well , itís up to the breeders to get people into showing then judges and exhibitors to promote showing to the Ďoutside worldí and make it a positive experience for all.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello again Vicky Very Happy

We cannot show our boy as he has been snipped and stuff, and we wanted him as a pet. However, I read your post with great interest. I like anything to do with this wonderful breed.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Vicky, we are the same as Zizou, (sorry cannot remember your real name!), we can't/don't show Ina, but we went to a show & it was a bit daunting, and we only went to see what went on! I know what you mean about the dogs sniffing others & the looks from owners Smile
Very best of luck with your showing & hope you get over your nerves, & hope to see you one day.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think like with learning anything new eg rowing, sailing, rock climbing etc there is a lot to learn and knowing where to find info is hard. If you have a breeder who points you in the right direction that is helpful. I only started to takie mine to a show because my friend showed her Sammies. I went to ringcraft and was told to put lanoline cream on her coat to make it smooth and silky( they had never any experience of briards). I spoke to a briard owner and she was horrified as a briard coat must be harse and goat like texture. So not all advice is correct but it was well meant. I have sometimes taken showing seriously and got upset when someones lame dog has beaten mine because who is on the end of the lead, but my main advice is not to take it too seriously. I go for a day out where I chat with friends, sit and relax and dont have to think about house cleaning, work and it is like going to a spa for me. The nerves do go over time and when they do you find your dog goes calmer. the only time I get nervous now is if I get threw to best in show or are lined up for the CC. I think it would be helpful if someone could put an artivcle together for the club magazine to explain showing. To anyone who wants to give it a go put a post on here and there will be someone with a briard in your area who knows about show and will propbably help you enter and show. Re the dogs sniffing other dogs, I have witnessed too many dogs having a snap at another so I never let mine sniff other dogs unless I know them. I seen 5 dog fights at shows and they were nasty. Enjoy and like I say always remember you go home with the best dog no matter what the judge thinks. PS keep arecord of which judge liked your dog then you can avoid the expence of entering under a judge that does not rate your dog. Afterall every judge will interprerate the KC briard criteria in a different way - some place more merit on movment, some on construction, some will penalise heavily if the tail goes up above the back other dont.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Maxine and Tina, call me Zizou; it's nicer than Patricia Very Happy Yes, we are going to watch a show soon. Even before we get there, I realise that it is hard work. I don't know how they do it. Wink I've always thought that the long haired breeds should get bigger prizes than the short haired because of all that grooming. I just can't wait to see loads of briards in one place.....

PS I had better get Zizou under control as he likes nothing more than flirting with the "ladies." Wink Seriously, I am glad to know about the sniffing and the fights as I will take more care accordingly.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really enjoyed my visit to the show, even if it was daunting, because we met some of Ina's rellies!, and of course Tina, who bred my Ina (that was special, as I had rehomed Ina & never met Tina before). I was always amazed that I never saw any dogs even curling lips at each other when watching Crufts on Tv, now I know it does go on!
Patricia, I agree with you, long haired dogs should get an extra prize, just for all the grooming Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Patricia - which show are you going to?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Deborah Very Happy We are going to the briard association show. I want to experience a day surrounded by the best breed on the planet. Wink
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Patricia - are you taking Zizou along? I am not sure if you are aware or not, and I apologise if you are aware, but if you are taking Zizou, then you need to enter him into the show as "not for competition". You can do this by either downloading an entry form from the Briard Association website or by contacting Rhoda Patience, the secretary of the club (again, details of which you will find on their website). Unfortunately with any show, if you are taking your dog along, then they either have to be entered in to the show or entered "NFC" (not for competition) otherwise they will not be allowed on the show ground. If you already knew this, then please accept my apologies. If you need anymore help then please do let me know.

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Thanks Debbie. I appreciate your advice. Have sorted out my form, sorted out my directions, so now, just got to sort out the weather....
vicky-jasmine
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I will be there!! Look forward to meeting you and zizou!!
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Great Vicky.
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Further to my earlier posts about entering your dogs NFC (not for competition) I would like to apologise to you all for giving you false information. It has been pointed out to me that you can pay a NFC fee on the day of the show, which is a nominal amount. However, this is not the case if you want to enter your dog at a Championship Show NFC. This has to be done in advance by filling out the appropriate entry form.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm happy because it got me organised for once. It's not often I'm "ahead." Wink

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic