The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 HELP - post grooming problems View next topic
View previous topic
YAM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our new beardie pup - just 6mths-has just come back from the groomers. This was simply to get her used to the idea from an early age.Bryn our big black briard won't leave her alone and is permanently trying to 'hump' her. Now this is nothing new for him as he did this with my 2 spayed bitches every time they were groomed. As far as I have so far noted Breagh is showing no early signs of coming in to what will be her first season although she is drinking a bit more and her appetite is occasionally erratic. The groomer tells me she has had this problem with another 2 dogs from the same household who have to be caged completely separately for over a week after she grooms them despite having tried every different grooming product imaginable and grooming them on different days. Has anyone else had this problem with their 'beasties' ? As you can imagine I am more concerned than I used to be with Tess and Molly in case I am missing early season signs but I do not want to spay Breagh until she has had her first season.
Any suggestions would be VERY gladly received
Thanks
Yvonne
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I am not sure that I have anything useful to add, except to say that Dinah, also 6 months, is proving very attractive to a great friend's un neutered male but Linda Coleman, who I regard as my Dinah guru since she bred her, and numerous other Briards before her, tells me that Briards often don't come into season until they are a year and a half. It is probably different for Beardies but I still think that 6 months is very early ( we used to have a Beardie type mongrel who came into season for the first time when she was 9 months and she was smaller than the proper thing)
It seems to me that dogs don't take much excuse to get a humpng - either male or female!
Amanda
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If the problem is a result of grooming have you tried asking the groomer for some of the 'smellies' that have been used on the groomed dog. It's worth a try to brush some into the offender's coat. Changing the smell of a dog can effect the way it is treated by other dogs so maybe if they smelled the same it would help? Worth a try maybe.
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jill's suggestion is good try spraying them both with the same products it could be smell. Usually when a bitch is coming into season the males smell and lick the females 'bits' and urine puddles alot, are there any signs of that with Bryn. The other alternative is that humping is not always sexual, it is also a dominate behaviour carried out between dogs of any sex male to male female to female, I would try to distract Bryn when he is looking like he may mount her as I worry about the size of a full grown Briard male to a 6 month old Beardie use alure and get him to do some sit down stand so you can praise the good behaviour. He could just be trying to make her smell like him as with a new toy etc. hope this helps
Brenda
and hairy ones

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

Certainly think Dominance comes into it, everytime i groom Jack Merlot always tries to hump him, everyone who knows my dogs knows jack is the leader between the two of them, think Merlot thinks great opportunity, however in seconds Merlot is pinned to the floor!!! again !!!!

Fi
jean eckford
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

it could be that your groomer is using a finishing spray on breagh, im a groomer and i finish all my dogs with a nice pefumed spray, unless of course they have a skin condition, my Fluke just loves the taste of the sprays, and goes mad licking my hands when i use it on him, doesnt do him any harm as there are no chemicals in mine, he also loves the taste of Doreen Paige 's grooming natural spray, so just an idea that the spray is getting your dog excited, worth a thought

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic