The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Fireworks!!!!!!! View next topic
View previous topic
Julia & Chewy
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, how are you all coping this evening?
Oh, how I wish we lived somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, and not over the road from a pub having a bonfire do! Mad
Poor Chewy isn't happy. Being a dog that'll bark at a door closing streets away, these loud bangs are needing a lot of barking at!
Poor lad's knackered, but as soon as he flops down, off goes another bombardment, which Chewy just has to respond to. At least we've got a good excuse if any neighbours dare to complain.
I can't remember how he was last year, maybe he was too young to notice, but he's now 20 months old.
I got some tablets from the vets earlier in the week, they're not a proper tranquiliser though, just a natural calming remedy, called Kalm Aid. Don't think they've had much effect.
I've got a music DVD on now, which seems to be giving a better background noise than the TV and drowning out some of the noise.
Hang on, we seem to have been bark free for a good 10 minutes or so, has he given up the battle or has my music choice put him to sleep? Smile
Argh!!, there's still at least 2 more nights of this Mad

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Os only gets disturbed by fireworks to the extent that he wants to go out and see what's happening! Quite likes looking at them in the distance from the garden.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We are lucky with Dillon he may have occasional bark but most of the time he's not bothered with them, at the moment he's sound asleep in the kitchen.
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We, too, have a horendous time. A Jamais shakes so much it seems he could have a heart attack. He runs up & down the stairs. Then jumps on your lap pinning you into the chair so you can barely breathe while bruising your legs with his nails.
We are doing a mixture of valerian & rescue remedy diluted in water. We give this several times a day. This does help quite a bit. But we have fireworks going off at all times....doesn't matter if it's light out; in the middle of the day; or after midnight!? It's been going on for two weeks so far (EID?).....who knows how long it will continue. Probably until the new year.....
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou isn't fazed by them, but I feel so sorry for other dogs who are. It wouldn't bother me if they stopped fireworks altogether. Crying or Very sad
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Paygan is terrified poor girl, we dont get much sleep for days. Aslan and Zorro just bark, and not really bothered, Tia and bo do not bat an eyelid. They really need to ban them, for public events on 1 day only.

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
Laura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well will be glad when the fireworks are all over with again for another year!! Murphy becomes really stressed as soon as he hears them...Barks & then runs away & hides. And certainly not happy going outside even for the toilet....it's as fast as he can get back in again!! Tried the Calm-eze this year but don't think it's made much difference....just had to make sure the TV is loud enogh to drown them out Sad
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thankfully we have moved away from the town to near the coast, so there are not many fireworks. There was a firework display last night at a small airfield about 1 & half miles away (which Ina heard). She is quite frightened and shakes a bit, or tries to hide under the table, but we turn the music up, & I try to distract her by brushing her. (tonight she had some valerian just in case).
It is difficult getting her out for a wee if she has heard them, & sometimes it's the early hours when she will go out.
We have in the past with other dogs (who are now going deaf), taken them out in the car for a drive when the local football club used to have a massive display, costly with the price of petrol now, but worth it if your dog suffers.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Enya is very unnerved by them all and they are so loud. Luckily she doesn't bark but she does pace about or insists on getting on my lap and she is shaking. There are big drawbacks to living in a town/city. I am always glad when it is over. Getting her out for her last tinkle is a very long affair, she does eventually go but I have to walk around the garden with her and stand right next to her poor baby.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic