The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Previcox View next topic
View previous topic
Jo Hawkins
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just been to the vet with a pooly Ralph. As a youngster he would get Colitis with regular monotony. He's now nearly 9 and hasn't had a bout for years....until last week. We got through the Colitis and he is improving daily but he is very distressed and unable to lie down with out jumping up like something has bitten him. Because his back legs are not good, this is causing more lameness and last night we were woken up at 2 am and I've spent the night with him puffing and panting, wanting to go out, but not really knowing what to do. He is very tired, and fed up.
So, we went to the vet this morning, for a thorough check over. I have to say the vet was brilliant with him, even when he tried to take her head off for finding the painful bits in his hips. She did his anal glands as she thought this could be the cause of his discomfort in lying down (they were quite full) and gave him a painkilling injection for his hips and back (metacalm). This will last 24 hours.
She said that as he has a sensitive tummy that Previcox would be a good NSAID painkiller for him instead of Rimadyl or Metacalm, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice or experience of this drug.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Poor Ralph, I'm sorry he is having a bad time at the moment, it's not nice having to watching them when they'er not well. Sad

I have never heard of Previcox so I can't give you any advise, I just hope it helps him.
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello,
So sorry to hear about Ralph, and hope he'll soon be on the mend. Our Roxy is 10 now and also has suffered with colitis in the past and takes half a tab a day to hopefully keep it at bay. She also has arthritis in her front elbows the x ray showed just how bad it was. She has a previcox tab everyday and oil of evening primrose and glucosamine all wrapped in ham with low fat philli. The vet checks her every few months and our insurance will pay for the tabs. The vet has been really pleased with her, and we had previcox in case the others caused tummy problems. Hope this helps Gail and Roxy
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, first of all sorry that you are having problems.

I have a TT who has suffered with Colitis all her life, & recently arthritis in her hips. Her behaviour is exactly the same as described by you! She jumps up in the night as if she has been bitten.

I will just mention a few points. We have put her on Protexin profibre pellets for her colitis & this has worked wonders (we use medicanimal.com)

She is taking vetvits glucosamine for her Arthritis, plus Arthrovet which we get from a vet in Germany (2 tabs a day), available from e-bay www.shop-tierartikel.de, it is another supplement, she has them both, long story, but it works so we are loathed to change!

Check your dog re the jumping up in the night, as when our TT (Sally) does it, it usually means a) she has been bitten by a tick or flea, or b) she has a bit of gravel in her bed brought in from the garden and has lay on it. Rolling Eyes Hope this helps, it may be unrelated, but Sally definitely was out of sorts one night & we were so worried about her, but in the end it turned out to be a tiny tick on her rib area, which was possibly on a nerve.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for all the messages and advice!
Ralph does appear to be feeling a bit better. He hasn't slept as well and as much for ages. It would appear he is in some discomfort most of the time now and after a long discussion with the vet this morning, we have decided to get a blood test to make sure that his liver and kidneys are ok, then go for the painkillers.
The difference in him this morning tells me I have been in denial for sometime and that he needs a bit of a boost! He even had a little run around with the rest of the pack, something he hasn't done for a while..... made me cry! Rolling Eyes Anything to keep him happy!
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really hope Ralph is feeling better. I hope the blood tests come out ok.
Best of luck.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Joo. jasper was on that for a long time it suited him better than the other two you mention.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic