The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 WARNING :-Please keep your Briards cool View next topic
View previous topic
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We thought we were doing everything right, but last Friday night Dillon seemed to start to over heat and started to be sick bringing up water, so we wet a towel and kept putting water on it to cool him down. As the night went on he was getting worse so first thing in the morning we rushed him up to the vets.

His temperature was sky high, so they kept him in and told us to 'phone at 4pm. When we 'phoned they said they had done blood tests and both his red and white cells were very high and he had started to bloat, so they had put a tube down to remove as much gas as they could, but they needed to keep him in over night and put him on a drip. We 'phoned at 10pm his temperature had started to come down but they were still worried about his blood,and told us to 'phone again at 9am the next morning as they wanted to do more blood tests. We finally fetched him home at 3pm Sunday.

We took him back on Monday for the vet to check him over and he was fine.

They have no idea what caused it only that his panting may have started the whole thing off as he was "gulping" air at an alarming rate.

He's fine now but we are keeping him in the house and we have fans in every room, his not allowed in the garden till in completely in shade about 7pm.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh poor all of you, especially Dillon. I am so glad that he is now OK. We all need to remember the well known song, 'Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun'. Amanda
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brion's Mrs wrote:
Gosh poor all of you, especially Dillon. I am so glad that he is now OK. We all need to remember the well known song, 'Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun'. Amanda

The thing is we were keeping him the shade, we weren't playing with him just keeping him calm and in the shade we don't let him lie in the sun, it was just the "heat", he didn't start to be sick until after 7pm and by the middle of the night he was really ill.

It just proves what ever you do the "heat it self" can cause problems for them, they don't need to lie in the sun.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Carol, so glad that Dillon is ok, that must have been very scary.
It is difficult to keep them cool in this weather. (luckily at the moment we have a fabulous breeze Smile ) We tend to go to the coast where it is cooler & all the dogs sit under their Brollies, with plenty of water. I even had an Evian misting spray, which Ina loves, to cool their faces.
I am glad you have alerted us to the fact that they can get bloat by gulping too much air, I will keep an eye on that.
Keep cool Dillon & stay in the shade Cool

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also glad that Dillon is okay. We are in SouthWest France at the moment and the temperature has been up to 40 degrees. We have a portable air conditioner which he absolutely loves. He is going into kennels on Sunday for 4 days whilst we go to Provence so will warn the owners what to look for. They are very good/careful with the dogs but forewarned is ............
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another thing, not too obvious I hope, is that ours are drinking a huge amount at the moment, and keep moving around the house, finding new cool spots, and I have dotted drinking bowls all around to help them. Amanda
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Carol so glad Dillon is ok now, what a worry for you and Brian. Roxy hasn't been eating a lot, and I keep changing her water, but I'll watch out for the panting.
Gail and Roxy
Dollybug
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gosh, I didn't realise this could happen. We have had two fans at night in the bedroom and one on downstairs, luckily our downstairs is quite cool. For once I am glad our Enya is frightened of buzzing flies and only goes out into the garden for a tinkle.

Glad Dillon is on the mend.
lulu&lexi's mum
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How scary for you Carol! I'm so glad to hear that Dillon is on the mend now.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So glad Dillon is OK. I must admit, I have been worried about Hugo in this heat. When I've been sitting in a vest and shorts and still feeling hot, I have felt so sorry for him. We have done long early morning walks and just a quick evening one to avoid the heat of the day and we have had two fans blasting out in one room for him and all the windows open in the shadier rooms to try to create a draught. But it must be so easy for them to overheat when all they can do is drink and pant to keep cool.
Hugo is 7 and hasn't experienced a hot spell like this since he was a puppy and then, of course, he had less coat. If I thought it was going to continue, I would have him shaved. I know people argue that their coat keeps them warm in winter and cool in summer, but that's not my experience. We had Oscar shaved every spring and it was so obvious he felt much better. I love Hugo's coat, but he is not a show dog and his well-being must come first. If the hot weather trend continues, his coat will be whizzed off next spring!
It looks like it will start to cool this week, but he's going in the bath today while it's hot. The comb through after will help remove some coat and the rest will be silkier and so the air should move through it more easily. Taking no chances with my precious boy!
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi. I took Dinah to a dog groomers a few months ago because she had spent all winter wallowing in mud and I wanted to treat her to a posh bath and brush up. To my horror the dog groomers returned her to me looking not unlike the Afghan picture I posted on this site. They had left her coat long on her main body but shaved her underparts and back quarters. I was quite shocked at the time and cross, but had to admit that the new clip had its uses when she next wallowed in the mud. Now again I am glad for her because it does mean that she can lie her tummy and underparts straight down on cool floors and when I did an internet search on the subject of keeping dogs cool recently I noted that it seems to be recommended that clipping dogs' underparts does help keep them cool while leaving their upper bodies hairy allows that bit of the coat to do its air trapping job. Like you, Ruth, I'm not wanting to show so don't have those constraints; I just don't like letting down the Briard side!
Amanda
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

p.s. I am doing lots of grooming of Di's long coat because I note that it is also important to keep the coat tangle free so that it is effective as a coolant. Amanda
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Me too, Amanda! I'm using a twirly-toothed rake to strip out as much undercoat as possible. Hugo often lies with his back legs stretched out behind him and this position is handy when he wants to press his least hairy area onto cold tiles! Another thing I have tried to help keep him cool is to make him stand ankle deep in cool water. I don't always want to soak him all over, but my mother swears by running her wrists under the cold tap when she's hot, so I thought it might work for him!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The paws along with the mouth are key areas for cooling dogs. So standing in cold water is quite sensible. If a dog is really badly overheated the application of alcohol to the pads is good as it evaporates quickly which is cooling. Alternatively just have a nice long cold alcoholic drink yourself......
Rose
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have Georgie groomed professionally every 6 weeks to keep on top of her in between my efforts to keep her looking her best(!) but I always have her tummy shaved - even in winter. I find it helps to keep her cool in the summer as she lays on the stone floor and in the winter it helps to keep her warm as it cleans and dries much quicker therefore preventing the chill. She doesn't seem to mind and you cannot even tell unless she is belly side up - which is quite often Embarassed

Rose
Roz & Tim
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Carol, I'm so glad to hear that Dillon's ok. How scary that must have been for you all. Like many others, we've been taking Nero for shorter walks, later in the evenings and that certainly seems to help. He's also allowed to swim in the local park's (slightly manky) pond more often, which he loves, but we're not so thrilled about Laughing

Jane, Neena's owner, posted this on FB recently, which I found very interesting, with plenty of good advice:

http://theilovedogssite.com/this-takes-2-minutes-to-read-but-could-save-your-dogs-life-this-summer/

Roz

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly, I'm glad Dillon is okay now. That must have been terrifying.

I have a cooling coat for Zizou. I use it along with everything else like the fans etc. Because he insists upon sleeping in our room, I put the cooling coat on him and have a big fan blasting too. He's just got a paddling pool to help too.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-coats-dog-jackets-c-628_300/easidri-cooling-coat-for-dogs-p-5279
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou wrote:
Firstly, I'm glad Dillon is okay now. That must have been terrifying.

I have a cooling coat for Zizou. I use it along with everything else like the fans etc. Because he insists upon sleeping in our room, I put the cooling coat on him and have a big fan blasting too. He's just got a paddling pool to help too.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-accessories-dog-coats-dog-jackets-c-628_300/easidri-cooling-coat-for-dogs-p-5279

Thanks, we have just ordered one for Dillon.

Now watch the weather change Laughing
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They're out of stock now! But what size do I need for a big male when they get them back in? Extra large? And how does it work, is it wet on the outside?
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ruth Richardson wrote:
They're out of stock now! But what size do I need for a big male when they get them back in? Extra large? And how does it work, is it wet on the outside?

They have the same ones at [email protected] on-line, they have run out of them in store.

We have ordered the extra large for Dillon.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What you do is thoroughly soak it and, then wring it out. It goes on damp, and as it dries, it cools the dog. It lasts for hours. They are machine washable too. I do mine on 30 with no conditioner.
kathy morgan
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I also have a cool coat for Zeta, I bought one a few years ago and was beginning to think I had wasted my money UNTIL NOW. He has been wearing it every morning when he comes back from his very short walk. It has been brilliant, cools him down in no time. I soak it in cold water before we go out then wring it out when we get back and put it straight on. He even stands there and waits for it and as you say it lasts for hours. Mind you it is a bit of a shock when he brushes past you and you realise just how cold it is on your legs!! At least it has gone down now from that horrendous 32 degrees we had for days!!
Also he is not drinking quite so much now either, but at least he never stopped eating. (Getting a bit of a pig in his old age!!)
As those of you who know Zeta will understand with his huge coat just how useful his cool coat is!!!

Kathy and a much more energetic (that was bliss when it was too hot to run) Zeta
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the hot weather will be over for this year and it may not come back for years to come, but I've ordered one to be on the safe side! Not sure how it will work in carpeted areas if it's wet, but I suppose he can lie on the shady part of the patio outside if the coat is washable. Has anyone actually walked their dog wearing it, and if so does it help, or has everyone simply put it on afterwards?
SueH
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amazon has them in stock
David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have just collected Norbie from the kennels where he stayed for 6 nights with the temperature ranging from 34 to 40 degrees. The owners had made cooling collars for the dogs. Quite simply, they had filled a strip of material with water gel crystals ( what you use in hanging baskets) and sewn them up. These were then frozen. When tied around the dog's neck, they said the cooling effect was very apparent and the rapid panting reduced. I obviously cannot prove it works but I can say that not one of the 15 dogs I saw when collecting Norbie appeared to be overheating or distressed.

Think I might mention this to his vet when we get back and ascertain her views.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've just ordered an XL cooling pad off ebay as well! Apparently you don't have to freeze or wet it etc. and can use it in the house or car or dog bed. Again, I bet I won't need it this year, but it will be useful for next summer if it works. Has anyone tried one before? I can't imagine how it would work.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not familiar with the cooling pad, but will ask around.

I'll bet with you certainly now we have got ourselves all set up for heat, the weather will change. I bought my cooling coat in 2011 and hubby laughed at me. Wink
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Funnily enough, my M-i-L bought a cooling pad for me for the bed, as I have been having tropical moments Embarassed Although it did keep me cool i didn't actually like lying on it & felt uncomfortable, so I sent it back.
Now why didn't I think about it for the dogs! Rolling Eyes

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, it's the opposite way round for me! It never entered my head that I could use it for my own tropical moments! I'm approaching 50 and have got all that to come! Wonder if Hugo will share?
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've ordered a "human" one as I am prepared to try it. If, like Maxnick, I find it too uncomfy, I'll give it to Zizou. We'll probably end up sharing it.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ha ha! It's nice to share. We share our old towels and duvets with Hugo; he tries to share our snacks; he lets me borrow his hair bobbles; sandwich bags have a dual purpose . . . Laughing
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Brilliant Ruth Very Happy
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hugo's cooling coat has arrived. Can anyone advise me on how to store it? I got it out of the packaging to check the size was right and it was obviously very slightly damp, so I sealed it in the bag provided. What I want to know is whether it is damp enough to store now, even if I don't need to use it this year? Or should I wet it again and wring it out before sealing it up again? And do I need to repeat this process between use or will it stay damp enough? It says it mustn't dry out.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would wet it again and wring it, then seal it just to be safe. I always store it in the garage. I do it because I know where it is, but it has kept it nice for 2 years. At least that's how I look after mine. Zizou has his on now.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you, I will follow your advice! By the way, Hugo's cooling mat arrived today. It seems to be filled with some sort of gel, but whatever it is, it appears to work! I lay on it myself to see if it stayed cold and it did. I unfortunately had to let Hugo have a go and he's now fast asleep, looking very comfortable indeed! I did just wake him up briefly to shove my hand underneath him to see if it was still cold . . . and it was! Anyway, must go, it must be my turn by now!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic