The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 diarrhea View next topic
View previous topic
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Help! Advice Please!
Merlins been ill for @ 6weeks now, he started haveing toilet problems, went to vets,starve for 24hrs bland food still not rigth, xrays taken and we find bits of ball stuck in his colon and intestine, removed immediatley (thank God).
So after beening ill for 2-3 weeks then the op 8 days ago Merlin still has diarrha and is losing loads of wait, been up since 4:00am trying to think what to do as am desperateley worried, any advice ?
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Get back to the vets ASAP, or phone them if out of hours. Thats the best advice. Hope he gets well soon Smile Dont leave it.

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Shani, you must go back to the vets and insist they run some tests and if they can't come up with anything, then get a second opinion from another vet! Don't leave it.

Debbie

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree you need to take him to the vets ASAP but from what you say perhaps a different vet straight away as it doesn't sound like yours is doing a great job....
GOOD LUCK
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Again I agree with what has been said, he needs t see a vet ASAP, it needs to be sorted out.
YAM
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

try probiotic tabs( form e-bay I think(/prebiotics(from pets at home and loads of goats milk yoghurt -much better than cows milk. Have also tried Pepto-Bismol which is for humans - but a very small dose eg 5mls. Has worked like a treat for 2 of my dogs when they have been really bad and had other serious problems. Hope you get this sorted soon and he improves
Yvonne
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fingers crossed for Merlin. As others have said, go back to the vets, if you are not happy get another opinion. I feel for you, I had problems with mine last year, she was ill for a few days & ended up on a drip for four days, I pestered the vet constantly. She had toxins in her kidneys or liver (can't remember which), it was hard to detect, but blood & urine tests eventually found it. Good luck

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm afraid I have no advice to offer, but I hope you find the cause of Merlin's problems soon and he's soon on the mend.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh how distressing for you, with all the worry, not to mention the bottom washing! It's horrible to see them unwell.
I agree with the others, definitely get back to the vets and stress how worried you are about the weight loss. Perhaps he needs another x-ray to check there is nothing left in his gut which is causing an irritation. Hugo had a bout of diarrhoea about 2 years ago, which continued on and off for several weeks as he had irritated the lining of his stomach and gut, so it's definitely worth mentioning probiotics and prebiotics to the vet to see if he/she can recommend something which will speed up recovery.
Hope you get some answers soon and Merlin is quickly back to his normal self.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think everybody's advice so far is the way to go. I cannot think of anything else. I hope this is sorted out soon. I feel for you. x
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

thank you for all of your concern & advice
we have been back to the vets, were know on a course of steriods and other pills which to be honest has turned into a bit of a blur (cant remember what there for or what they do only to follow instructions) vets advice is still to feed bland diet and get back in 2-3 days if toileting is still poor, Merlins seems to feel great in himself & still wants to run around like a loon, and say helo to his friends, we feel a bit better after talking to the vet, but cant help myself and worry
kevin
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm glad to know he feels great in himself. That makes a big difference. Mine was like that: happy as can be, while I was worried sick. He was on a bland diet for over 2 weeks, but he has since got better. I still don't know what he had. Hopefully, this time, Merlin's toileting will sort itself out too. xx
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What a worry for you, hope Merlin is on the mend now. Roxy had colitis when she was a pup, so I'm always wary if she starts with a poorly tummy. Keep an eye on him, they can't tell us how they are.
Gail and Roxy
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad Merlin is feeling better.
Just a few things which may help his tummy.
Sally has colitis, which flares up badly from time to time, we put her on Protexin profibre pellets (available on the web, check sites/prices but animed.co.uk is quite good), this really helps her tum.
Natural yoghurt, all my dogs have a dollop after their brekky.
I have heard that Pumpkin is good for their tum too ( FBC Bearded collies swear by it), available in tins, sometimes Aldi have it on 'specials'. Hope at least one of these work.

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Merlin
Is now eating as advised by vet 3 fillets of fish and a jacket potato
3 times a day (house smells of fish!) he's putting a little weight on but still is loose in the pooing department.
It looks very weird when your staring a spot on the ground hoping to see something solid (sorry to be talking about something so base apologies)
He seems again more than happy in himself and is getting stronger each day.
I hope it's just a matter of time
Again thanks for all your thoughts
Kevin
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's good news, glad to hear Merlin is on the road to recovery.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's great to hear he is getting better.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So glad Merlin is getting better. The fishy smells are worth it. Do you mean you just stare at the poo on the ground? Don't you dive in with your poo-bag covered hand and have a good rummage round? Or is that just me? Embarassed
Owning a Briard can be quite messy. There's all that washing of the under-tail area and trimming of the hair in the groin region to deal with, not to mention the aftermath of an occasional upset tum. Sorry to lower the tone.
It may take his digestive system a little while to get back to normal, but it's great news that he is on the mend. Hope you can breathe a bit more easily now, Kevin, after such a worrying time.
maxinecollins
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When we had our first BRIARD, Harvey he had terrible diabetes, he would just pass everything he ate within 1/4 of an hour. So obviously he did not grow very much, Anne Webb will confirm this, compare Harvey to his brother Baldslow Warbash. We took him to the vets again and again, in the end we decided to go for another opinion and went to the AHT at Newmarket, they gave us some orange crystals to put in his food, they also recommended giving our 2 briards raw tripe. Within 4 days Harvey's motions were perfect. Sorry don't know the name of the crystals but there cannot be many orange crystals out there for dogs. Help this helps...

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to hear Merlin is on the mend.
I now have a Briard with an icky tum Rolling Eyes Have put her on probiotic & am cutting out certain treats to see which are causing her problems.
Having another dog with colitis, we are always checking the consistency of what comes out. We rate it like the Mohs scale (1-10) Laughing

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's diahhrea and diabetics. Auto spell check Sad(

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Paul and I compare it to puddings from our childhood such as Angel Delight and Instant Whip!
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

An easy way to spell it Dire rear Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou was sick first thing this morning. It must be a week for bad tummies. He is fine now. I hope your baby is back to normal soon Maxnick.
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Help again
Merlin has put 1kg on and looks & seems healthier, still got @ 5 to go (be weighs @ 29kg now)
Vets suggests we may need to do a fecal sample test, this may cost @ 350 which seems a bit steep.
Can I get an independent test done & how much searched web & in USA cost seems to be around $30-40?
Thank you
Kevin
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Kevin - it certainly does sound steep. I really think you should get a second opinion. There's no way it should cost that amount - are you insured?

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a fecal test done the other week. It was about 70. That was with a big tube of paste to help with his gut flora included.
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Due to my own stupidity and not living in the land of hindsight I rather not answer that Confused
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So glad he is continuing to gain weight. What a huge quote for a fecal test! It does seem high. My own vet's is a hospital and I think they are quite pricey too, but Hugo is insured. I must admit the insurance costs an arm and a leg and, touch wood, we have so far not had to make many claims for Hugo, but we got more money out than we put in with Oscar, who needed medication for years for his under-active thyroid.
That must add to your worries, Kevin, if you're paying large amounts out with no chance of claiming it back. I would want my own vet's to carry out the test, as I trust their expertise, but you could perhaps get some quotes from other vets and then challenge your own as to why it costs so much. Let's hope he's better soon. Then you can always take insurance out for any future illnesses.
kevin nevill
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Merlin update,
Merlin's condition seems no better, we've gone to another vets after a disagreement regarding the value of a fecal test and the need for a second opinion.
I'm desperate, I just won't for Merlin to come back, he is at the moment almost half the dog he was, but I can still see him in there and will never give up.
Yesterday was a bad day, he hadn't eaten or drank since the the day before and just laid down and didn't move, we got him to the vets and suddenly he was flouncing in jumping up to look at everything. If I were honest it was to much and there were tears in my eyes.
So we have gone from nearly losing him to now a very ill dog but still here.
As I said we will not give up all I can ask is for more time and if you don't mind a little prayer for Merlin
Many thanks
kevin
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Kevin, I don't know how geographically possible this may be for you but perhaps you should get a referral to here? Has to be worth a try. Good luck.

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh so sorry that Merlin is still not recovering and that you don't have any answers yet. It must be so frustrating as well as distressing to see him like that. Please don't give up. You are right to seek a second opinion. There's got to be an expert out there who can diagnose and treat his condition. I will say lots of prayers for him and for you while you cope with this horrible situation.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Aw Kevin, I feel for you. I certainly will be praying for you and Merlin. Yes, you did right to go to another vet. I hope they can get this sorted out asap. I really think you just need a decent vet. I hope this new one was more encouraging. xxx
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kevin, sending loads of white light for Merlin.
Iy may be worth trying Protexin probiotic (small pellets) 9.99 from Animed.co.uk. I give them to out TT who has colitis & it keeps her runny tum in check. I have also been giving it to my Briard, Ina, who has had a bad tum for weeks (on & off). Seems to be working, although she has had a check up today at the vets, so we are still monitoring it.
good luck, hope Merlin gets better soon, it is a worry.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to hear that Merlin is still unwell. It's so hard to see them suffer. Lots of prayers and white light coming your way from us.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic