The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Frothy water mystery.. View next topic
View previous topic
barry flahey
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amber seems to be drinking more water than usual. She will drink half a bowl of fresh clean water and leave a frothy bubbly residue behind. The remaining water is very opaque, milky and feels “slimy” to the touch. I clean the bowl and put fresh water and she immediately clouds the fresh water.
Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? This has been happening for over three days .and I am quite worried.....
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barry, hi has anything in her diet changed or is there anything new in your garden she might be eating?
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Barry.. I was thinking is she getting something caught in her beard and when she drinks it's just washing out.
barry flahey
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Many thanks for your replies. Her condition still continues. Last week she did feast on a patch of grass for about 10 mins during our walk.. Didnt occur to me that there may be something really tasty in that clump of grass as she always eats grass. Wondering now of course if there was something toxic on that grass ie., urine left by rabid animal. Her diet has not changed apart from a bag of bickies that she started last week ...
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe leave of the bickies for a few days. Maybe they are sticking in her teeth going stale and washing out when she drinks.Possibly fermenting which is causing the bubbles. If it doesn't get better you may need a trip to the vets to see if they can find out what is wrong.
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Barry, I was about to say we don't have rabid animals any more . . . until I saw where you lived . . . but surely it's not that common in Canada?
Hugo often makes his water cloudy after coming in from a walk when he has obviously stuck his face into all sorts of muck, but once he has washed his beard in his bowl and had a good face rub with a towel his water is clear again. Does Amber have access to anything in your garden which she could be chomping on?
Can you ring your vet for advice? I can usually speak to someone at Hugo's vet's, even if it's just a veterinary nurse. Surely, if you explain that Amber seems otherwise well, and you don't want to bring her in unnecessarily, they can at least offer some reassurance or tell you if they think you should take her in to rule out anything suspicious.
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Barry... I don't think it's anything to do with Rabies as animals affected have a fear of water and clearly Amber hasn't.
barry flahey
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The frothy slimy water that was worrying me so much seems to have gone away. Now her water bowl is clean clear water. I can only speculate as to the cause and hope that it does not recur. I did call my vet and they were mystified too. I think that you were all correct in that it was something she ingested while eating grass. So very many thanks to all of you for your input. I have since read on the net that it could be a part of certain grasses known as an awn ( A slender, bristlelike appendage found on the spikelets of many grasses ) that lodges and causes saliva to increase in dogs. Also it seems to be an indicator of coming diabetes, if one can believe the internet.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Barry, glad that things seem to have cleared up. Lets hope it was something Amber had been eating.
Reading things on the internet is very scary Wink Laughing

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so glad the problem has gone and your vet doesn't have any concerns about it being anything suspicious. Good news!
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm so pleased to hear it has stopped. It must be such a relief.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile I'm pleased to hear things are better. x

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic