The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 The British Briard Health Survey - Important View next topic
View previous topic
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Briard Owner,

The British Briard Club, with the assistance of the Kennel Club, is conducting a survey to look at Briard health in the UK over the last 2 years and your participation would be greatly appreciated.

We would be grateful if you would complete a survey for each Briard you have owned within the last 2 years. This should take less than 10 minutes to complete for each Briard. All individual responses will be kept confidential but the collated results will be published.

This survey is open to all UK Briard Owners

The closing date for this survey is 30 April 2014

Please click the link below to start the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GLC98L2

If you have any queries or require further help please do not hesitate to contact

Linda Coleman e-mail [email protected] tel 01522 703793
or
Janis Bishop e-mail [email protected] tel 01509 814754

Many Thanks

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Done it. Very Happy
Jacky
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Done it x2! Smile
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Done also Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All done.
Gail
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes...completed it
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you to all those who have completed this. It will be very helpful indeed. Please, if you haven't already completed it could you please do so as this will be able to pin point any problems that might come to light within the breed.

Many thanks, once again

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I did it as soon as your post appeared. I hope it helps find some answers, especially given the terrible losses we have heard about recently.
John Geekie
Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have long wanted to know the answer to a simple question, " Has your Briard lived a full life" or something along those lines. Perhaps, more bluntly " Did your Briard die prematurely from sarcoma/cancer " The survey is more detailed and reminds me of some Canadian work looking at the effects of vaccinations on, I think, Golden Retrievers, though it may have been something else. The neutering/spaying question is relevant I think to Briardists as well. We have now just lost yet another Briard who did not live long enough. We ask ourselves why, are we doing something wrong, is the food too processed? Are injections an issue? Is the environment a danger ( weedkillers used in parks/roads/ footpaths ). Are there questions about the bloodlines? Our first briard died aged 10 ( cancer )
Our second Briard died 9 ( Mouth cancer lower jaw bone )
Our third Briard died 9 ( stomach cancer )
Our fourth Briard died ( Bone cancer in leg from complications after toe removal )
Our fifth Briard died just last week 7 years 7 months ( suspected spine cancer )

I am sorry to be pedantic but are we doing something wrong or are there other reasons.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

Hopefully, by responding to this survey it will be able to give us some answers. I don't believe you have done anything but give some very lucky Briards a very loving home.

Thank you for completing the survey.

Debbie

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi John - it is not only briards who suffer from cancer at an early age. Many dogs in my area have died young from a variety of problems, many of them only 4 or 5.!

It is a worry as you try and feed healthily and give them the best of lives. An answer would be brilliant to the cancer thing. Did dogs get it years ago or were they not diagnosed properly?

My bugbear is yearly injections!! Not needed after a certain age and certainly not so frequently - there has been work done by scientists that prove this. One of my exceedingly healthy and fit briard's had a heart attack just days after an injection and to this day I have believe that had I not had him done it would NOT have happened. (although the vets will not approve this - they want their money!) Yes I am a cynic!!!

Please everyone fill in your questionnaire.

Kathy and Zeta
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

John, I would feel the same in your shoes i.e. I would want to know that I had not exposed my dog to anything which harmed him/her. Like Debbie, I'm sure you did everything possible for Georgie. If the average life expectancy of a briard is about 11, then we are bound to lose some at 9 or 10 and some luckier ones at 12 or 13, just like humans all live to different ages and some have more health problems than others. Obviously, Georgie is an exception and she was too young, but you have obviously watched over her very carefully and made sure she had the best treatment available. All we can do is our best for them.
Oscar was 11 when he developed lesions on his liver (he had also had an under-active thyroid for most of his life). It was terrible losing him, but I am grateful that he reached that age and was only ill for a week. I spent hours re-living his last days and questioning whether we had done all we could for him, but in the end I had to accept that we couldn't have done anything else. I hated the fact that he had spent his last 2 nights away from us in hospital, but he was so ill, he needed to be sedated and on a drip while they looked into his condition (he could no longer keep water down when he was admitted). It would have been more cruel to keep him at home at that time. And once we knew there was nothing they could do for him, we went to be with him while he was put to sleep. We just had to do what we thought was best for him. It's all any of us can do.
Hugo will be 8 at the end of March. So far he has enjoyed good health, apart from the odd stomach upset after eating some rubbish on his walks, but he is a much bigger dog and we all know that larger dogs have a shorter lifespan. I know we will do all we can to keep him in good health, and when his time comes, I hope he won't have to suffer a long illness and that we will know when the time has come to let him go, as we did with Oscar and you did with Georgie. By the way, both Oscar and Hugo were neutered and have had yearly vaccinations.
Like Debbie, I hope this survey does give us some clues about things which affect the health of our briards and enables us to take preventative measures in the future, but please don't torture yourself about Georgie. She was truly loved, well cared for and you had to make some brave but difficult decisions to ensure you were acting in her very best interests. Having read your posts and watched your video, nobody on this site will be thinking you could have done things differently.
Let's hope the survey provides some answers, but for now, remember the happy times with your precious girl.
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I, too, went through this dilemma when I lost my last Briard. I had fed him a natural, raw diet since he was 8 weeks old. He only had homeopathic vaccinations and natural remedies. I purposely avoided all steroids & antibiotics after losing a previous dog to liver failure. He was not neutered. Always active and didn't really have any major health problems.
Then at the age of 6, he had a lump on his foot. He had the lump sent off for biopsy. He was dead from cancer within weeks....
So again....you try to do the very best you can for them...and still it might not be enough... Crying or Very sad
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know we were all talking about this in February of this year and the survey had to be completed by April, but I just wondered if those who keep track of briard health have noticed the number continuing to be affected by subungual squamous cell carcinoma. I know that Bee (black boy?) had already had 3 toes affected, aged 11 and 12, Dylan (fawn or black boy?) had lost 2 toes, aged 7 and 8, and Brion (fawn boy) had lost 2 toes, aged 7 and 8. Did Rhian (fawn girl) also have this type of cancer when she lost a toe, too? No doubt these were all included in the survey. But since then, Brion has lost another toe, aged nearly 10? and recently, Hugo (black boy), aged 8, and Maxi (fawn boy), aged 10, have also been diagnosed with the condition. Were the results of the health survey ever published anywhere? If so, I have missed them, but I would be interested to hear about conditions which affect our beloved briards, not to be all gloom and doom, but to know what sort of things we need to keep an eye out for.
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ruth,
If you look on the british briard club website there is a link to the survey.
Hope this helps Gail and Lola
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Gail.
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ruth

I am afraid this survey is now closed. It closed in April. If you have any issues you want to check, I would suggest you speak to Linda Coleman who conducted the survey. She is the breed health co-ordinator. She may be able to give you some idea when the results will be available to view.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, Debbie. Yes, as I said above, I knew the survey closed at the end of April. I did follow Gail's advice and follow the link on the British Briard Club website, but it talks mainly about the usual eye conditions, bloat and hip dysplasia etc., rather than other illnesses/cancers etc. which may affect our breed. I have contacted Linda to see if she can give me any more information, but I appreciate she may be inundated with questions from other owners of poorly briards! It just seems to be a lot with Maxi, Brion and Hugo all losing toes within 4 months of each other, but that might be entirely normal. I expect Linda may have a more complete picture of how many of our babies are affected.
magnannymouse
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

John, I have been asking this for some time now and not reached a conclusion.
My first Briard, Fleur, lived to nearly 14, was vaccinated, regularly boostered and was fed processed food.
My second Briard, Woodleigh, a companion to Fleur, was lost at 12 to cancer
Lurcher X, Widge, had puppy vaccs and was fed raw. Lost to cancer at 12
Third Briard, Meg, had puppy vaccs and was fed raw. Lost to cancer at 12

My bother had a Doodle which was reared on raw, not vaccinated, no chemical flea or worm treatment, she was lost to cancer at just 7.

I currently have a 5yo Standard Poodle. Not vaccinated, raw fed, no chemicals in, on or around, and he has a skin allergy!

The only common thread I can think of is that they were all neutered.

Maggie

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic