The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Poor Brave Dylan View next topic
View previous topic
Nicola
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As if it wasn't enough losing two toes to cancer and having a basal cell carcinoma removed last year. Poor Dylan had further surgery on friday. We've been fighting an infected cyst on his back since December and finally his vet said enough is enough and she would remove it and while she was at it she would remove all of Dylan's lumps and bumps. Well he has a lot - We've been keeping an eye on them and checking them for a few years now. I keep a diagram showing their locations and keep notes on how they are doing (that's how I found the basal cell carcinoma as it was obviously different to the other lumps). Two of the lumps had been diagnosed as fatty and the others sebaceous cysts. In all I had 15 mapped, noted and monitored. Adrian and I felt taking off 15 would be too much - keeping in mind the length of time Dylan would be under and how he would be able to recover with wounds all over his body. We had a chat with the vet who said that although she wanted to remove them all to avoid future problems, she agreed with our concerns and said she would assess him once he was asleep and decide what to do. Well once he was shaved she found a total of 22 (the extra ones were tiny and only became apparent once the hair was removed) and removed all of them in a 3 hour operation! She doesn't like the look of 4 of them and, at our request, has sent them to be biopsied. I feel dreadful. I monitored his lumps so closely and failed to pick up on 4 of them being different. I'm now wondering whether they should have all been removed and biopsied as they appeared over the years (although the various vets we've seen all diagnosed them as either fatty lumps or sebaceous cysts). I'm also not sure that Dylan should have been put through such a long operation resulting in so many wounds and stitches. Especially as the nurse told us when we picked him up (unfortunately the vet wasn't available) that even if he has cancer they wouldn't give him chemotherapy so maybe there wasn't any point in sending the lumps away. Frankly I could have slapped her - we don't know if he has cancer, if he has we don't know whether it will need further treatment and they don't know that we would want Dyls to have chemo anyway. Also she delivered their opinion in a rather flippant, patronising way (and where was the vet?). Our vet's practice is usually so good so perhaps my reaction was due to shock, or maybe her delivery was due to a fear of delivering bad news (not that we know it is bad news). Anyway Dylan is being so brave and stoical. He's taking it all in his stride and is sporting a natty wardrobe of t-shirts to cover all the bald patches.

Sorry for the rambling post. I'm in bits. Having got through last year I thought Dylan would be ok for a good while yet and I thought I would pick up on any problems I've been monitoring his health so closely. Also Adrian (husband) has been in hospital recently with a mysterious illness (he's fine now), so it feels like we've had one scare after another in the last year.
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nicola, I am so sorry to hear about Dylan's lumps and bumps and I am keeping everything crossed that they all turn out to be fatty cysts. I can't see that you can have done anymore than you did in relation to the lumps. You mapped them and checked them with the vet on an ongoing basis. We have to trust the advice we are given unless there is real cause for concern and a second opinion is required. As my dogs have got older most of them have developed a lump or two and after the vet has checked them you just get on and live with them.

I would speak to the vet about the way the news was delivered to you. It does not sound like it was done in an appropriate manner at all and I think the vet needs to speak to the nurse and give them some further training on how to deliver a difficult message.

Big hugs to you and your OH and gentle hugs to Dylan
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh what a difficult time you have had! You mustn't feel guilty, you have clearly monitored your precious boy very carefully and done everything advised by the vet. You can't see or feel every tiny bump on any dog, never mind a briard.
He's obviously going to be a bit sore and in need of lots of fuss and gentle cuddles.
I think your instinct would be to feel very grateful to the vet if you had been spoken to appropriately. The fact that you feel patronised suggests that you certainly have not been treated as you should have been and it doesn't sound as though you're over-reacting to me.
I would still want to know whether it was cancer or not to fully understand all the options, so it can't be a waste of time sending the lumps off for testing. Even if the worst came to the worst, you need to know what to look out for, how you ensure he remains pain-free etc. but hopefully it won't come to that and the results will provide some reassurance.
Hope this surgery is the start of a long, healthy spell for Dylan and that you can all look forward to an illness-free and worry-free future. All fingers crossed here that those results put an end to all of this anxiety.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

totally agree with Ruth and Jerrymo. You've done a great job looking after him. I'm so sorry to hear of all this worry. Like them, we have everything crossed in this house for you and Dylan. I've just found a lump on my girl (she's not a Briard) but it's never easy. Crying or Very sad

Furthermore, like the others, I'm sorry you have had the added anguish of that thoughtless woman. She's in the wrong profession with such an attitude.

Hopefully, you can find support here instead. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nicola
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well that was a good old moan wasn't it? (from me I mean). Now I've read it back and your lovely responses I've got things much more in perspective. I'm taking my lead from Dylan - business as usual! He doesn't know what all the fuss is about. He's eating ('ravenous' he says. 'Don't forget I missed a meal due to surgery'), sleeping and playing. He brought me his rope for a little tug of war earlier (watch the stitches!) and decided to make a game out of changing into his Chicago Bears t-shirt after getting his union jack one wet playing in the garden.

By the way the nurse in question is usually lovely and is very good with Dylan. She made a mistake. I've said things myself that I've regretted. So I'm letting it go.

Thanks so much for all your support. I've passed on your hugs to Dylan - although I've turned them into little kisses on his head due to all the sore patches!
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Nicola rant away, it does you good, a great stress buster.
You are doing everything you can for your boy, and that's what matters at the end of the day. He sounds like he's getting back to normal, I'd love to see a pic of him in his t shirt.
Go Dylan.
Gail
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fingers crossed positive vibes etc etc. Really does sound like you've done everything you could so stop beating yourself up and use all that energy loving Dylan - lucky him!!!!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't add anymore to what has already been said.
You will do the very best for your baby. Sending lots of white light & cyber hugs xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Best wishes and gentle hugs to Dylan. I think we can all sympathise with how you must have felt we love our dogs so much and the stress levels rise when they are unwell that's what's great about this site being able to share our feelings with like minded people who understand.
Love Brenda x

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lulu&lexi's mum
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lovely photo! Dylan looks so relaxed and stress free. You'd never guess he's been through such a tough time, he looks for all the world like he always wears a T shirt!

Best of luck with your results, Dylan. A gentle kiss on the head from us and hugs for your mum and dad to help them through this difficult time

Xxx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is that a bears t shirt?
Well the colour and cut really suit him.
Gail
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ah bless he doesn't look like he has any cares in the world. Unlike his mum and dad. He looks so good in the shirt, he should be a mascot for the team Very Happy

on a different note I love the view from your window. Wish I had such a nice outlook.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Beautiful - love it - Os was quite happy in a Spurs sweatshirt when he was rather bald and needed keeping warm going out in the winter. Keep getting better Dylan

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He looks good in his t shirt, but hope he doesn't need it for too long & he is ok.

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much for all the good wishes. Apart from being covered in stitches Dylan seems back to normal. The t-shirt is appropriate - judging by the way he pushes and shoves me I think he'd love to play American football. The only problem we've got at the moment is that he want to go for a walk and play with his friends. I'm taking him for a drive this afternoon to see if that will entertain him.

Thanks for the compliment about the view Jerrymo. Most of what you can see is next door's garden and luckily they look after it so it is a pleasant view.
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think we're going to need regular t-shirt updates preferably with photos!

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We've just received a call from our vet......... All Clear! All Clear! All Clear! All Clear! All Clear!!!!!! They were sebaceous cysts.

We've cracked open a bottle of champers!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cheers that's great news.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does Dylan drink champagne?! So good to hear your news - just brilliant.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is brilliant news. Forget the champagne - if Dylan is like Norbert, he will absolutely love a beer. He once tried Big Tom spicy tomato juice but hated it. But beer? Bring it on.... Very Happy
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It may only be twenty past seven in the morning, but I'm treating my neighbours to a rendition of the hallelujah chorus! What fantastic news! You must be so relieved. I'll drink to your family's good health tonight!
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah, fantastic news. So pleased for you all. I hope you all enjoyed the champers Very Happy
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wonderful news, I'm so happy for you all. Very Happy
Nicola
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Message from Dylan:

Thanks for all your lovely kind messages and for supporting my Mum.

Dyls xx
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh this is such brilliant fantastic news, and he looks so good in the t shirt again, he could start a briard trend. He's been such a brave boy. So pleased for you all hope you haven't got a champers hangover still.
Gail
Ps never mind the view I love your floor!
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dylan you are just SO cool. And I have to agree with Gail - great floor, just don't understand how it can be so clean with a Briard about!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fantastic news about Dylan. I hope you have recovered from the Champagne Smile Dylan is so very cute Smile

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excellent news. Well done brave boy!

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wonderful News Smile Smile

Steve and Jenny Griffiths
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ACE

I am so pleased. ♥ ♥

And Dylan
, you look super in that tshirt.
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Always great to read good news about our loved ones...especially when it's health problems Not being as horrible as anticipated! So happy Dylan is on the recovery road...and looking so "street" Wink
jerrymo
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

love the floor, love the tee shirt but what really caught my eye was the big shaved patch and the size of the incision left by the vet when he took out the cyst. What a big brave boy Dylan is. No wonder he needs the tee shirt to keep warm. How worried you must have been when you first saw him. So glad he is recovering well.
Nicola
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jerrymo - He's covered in those large bald patches and incisions. I haven't counted how many incisions, but I'd say he's had about 40% of his fur shaved off. When I saw him I was horribly shocked. I managed to hold my distress in until we got home and then I went and hid in a bedroom so Dylan couldn't see how upset I was (I left poor Ade to it for a few minutes I'm afraid).

Anyway, I'm amazed at how quickly he recovered. The incisions had settled the next day and Dylan didn't seemed fazed at all. I did have a little cry a couple of days later, overwhelmed with the worry of it all and Dylan came rushing in wagging his tail and licking my face as if to say "Don't worry Mum, I'm fine!".

The stoicism of dogs constantly amazes me. I love the way they live in the moment and find joy in the smallest thing. Dylan jigs around happily every day after his tea and a wee - well, what more do you need? A full tummy and an empty bladder - Hurrah! Dylan has taught me a lot about happiness.
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They are stoic, brave as well. A full tummy and he's happy. I used to go to the loo to cry about our. Roxy I knew if she saw me she'd be upset too. It's amazing how they capture our hearts.
Gail

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic