The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Kennel cough vaccine View next topic
View previous topic
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
We can't remember if our. Roxy had a vaccine for kennel cough. The vet as asked if we'd like Lola to have the vaccine when she goes for her 12 week jabs. Have any of you had your dogs vaccinated, is it worth doing are there any side effects? We don't plan on Lola going into kennels, so we're not sure about it.
Thanks Gail and lola
Deborah Mansi (DEBUET)
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are that many strains of it, it's not guaranteed that it will prevent it. Kennel cough is much the same as our cold in the fact it is air transmitted. It is a viral infection. My vet told me not to bother with it unless I planned on putting my dog in to kennels. I therefore think it is a waste of time and money.

Debbie

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our vet says the same thing and our kennels are not too fussed about it, although they say on their noticeboard that they would like the innoculation for kennel cough, which is a squirt up the nose. Also the only one of our dogs that has ever caught kennel cough was Bertie, who got it before he was one, and barely noticed the effects, just a few very strange sounding coughs and our vet said that young dogs are often very little affected.
Amanda
CHAVELLBRIARDS
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grace and Remy have had the Kennel Cough vaccine, although they will never be going into kennels, and it actually does not stop them from getting the infection, they just don't get it anywhere near as bad. It is a purely personal preference.
As I do a lot of shows, for me it was the right thing to do to protect them both.

Cheryl Remy and Grace
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We had Amber done once when we left her in kennels, apart from that our vet said it wasn't worth doing.
Brion's Mrs
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bertie had had the vaccine so maybe that is why he got kennel cough very mildly. I don't understand, though, why if KC is just like a human cold it remains pretty rare among dogs. Amanda
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, I think it's a no from us then. No point as we don't plan on putting her in kennels.
Gail and Lola
Ossie's Jill
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with all that's been said, no point unless the dog is going into kennels and they insist. Snoopy had a bad stomach for about a week after he had the vaccine a few months ago, in the way of these things we don't know if it was coincidence. Has anyone else had this experience?

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine don't have the vaccine either I did try with it years back but they still caught Kennel cough from a dog at a training class one coughed but was fine in herself while the other was really quite poorly and the third didn't get it at all. It is worse for young puppies and elderly dogs or dogs that don't enjoy the best of health but like the human cold there are different types and each dog reacts differently. So down to personal choice.

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's horrible when they catch kennel cough but I'm told there are a number of strains an the jab doesn't protect against all of them just like our flu jab doesn't.
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have all mine done yearly ,by the way it goes up the nose no injection , I do it as a extra precaution because my dogs go to shows and you never know whats about ............no KC here but time will tell

Teseny Briards
Sarah Dandy
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I always have mine vaccinated with kennel cough even though they never go into kennels. As it lasts a year now it is more cost effective and does stop them from getting kennel cough as bad. Kennel cough is so awful when they do get it. Mine have not had it for a long time but the last time one of them had it they did not suffer like they would have, it did last as long and none of the others got it which is brilliant considering it is an air born virus. So personally I think it is worth it. But you have to do what is best for you

David T
Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We used to have Norbert "vaccinated" against KC but he absolutely hated the spray up the nose. We decided not to continue with it as a couple of years ago, it took myself and 2 nurses to try and hold him whilst the vet ( 8 months pregnant!) tried to administer it. We were still not certain that it had gone up his nostril but it was obvious that Norbert was not going to give us a second chance. We were also told that there are various strains of the virus and that the vaccination may not be effective. We were also told to give him Benylin cough mixture if he ever got KC - more effective than anything the vet could prescribe, apparently!
gail
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow I can picture Norbert and the struggle, as you say how can you be sure it works, knowing Lola she'd sneeze it out.
I'll stick with the Benylin, a friend of mine with a lab give her baby cal pol if she thinks her joints are playing up.
Gail and Lola

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic