The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Hugo needs white light View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1053
Location: St Helens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I came home at 1pm today to find Hugo in the same condition as 6 weeks ago - panting, unwilling to eat, just wanting to flop down and wobbly when I could get him to stand. I rang the hospital who said they had no appointments today and they booked him in for tomorrow, but he seemed to be in pain, so I rang my local branch and the receptionist said she would get advice and ring me back. I waited and waited, then rang the hospital again and said I needed an emergency appointment. The receptionist said she would ring me back. I waited and waited. In the end the local branch rang me back and said he should be alright to wait until his appointment tomorrow (as obviously last time they couldn't find anything wrong) and I tearfully said he needed to be seen today, so they booked him in at 3:15. I drove him there (just over the road) and the vet found his breathing to be laboured, his gums very pale and his temperature low and rang the hospital immediately to arrange for him to be admitted. In the meantime, she put a catheter in (this took a while, as his veins were collapsed) and took some blood and then I set off for the hospital with the blood samples.
He just seemed to go more and more downhill, so that he eventually left the consultation room on a trolley (like a small hospital bed). A quick scan of his abdomen revealed internal bleeding. The vet thought it was likely to be a tumour on his spleen which he will have had for some time and it's probably bled from time to time (hence the previous episodes) but then stopped (hence the sudden recoveries). He said he won't have been in pain, but when he is bleeding, his blood pressure drops and it becomes harder for him to get his breath which is why he seemed in discomfort. He said the options were to put him to sleep or to remove the spleen. He said it wasn't worth putting him through the surgery if there were mestastases elsewhere, so they were going to do a more thorough scan of his liver and lungs and let him go there and then if there were any (although it might be tricky to see because of the blood in his abdomen), and then remove the spleen tonight if the tumour was confined to it.
The hard thing is that they won't know if it's benign or malignant until they send it off to be tested and if it's malignant, it will probably already be spreading (as yet undetectably) via his bloodstream and new tumours will form. I don't want to put him through unnecessary surgery. I'd rather they found other tumours and let him go now than do the surgery, then find he's only got days or weeks to live. It's so hard to know what to do for the best. I don't want him to suffer, but don't want to write him off if it turns out to be something curable. What makes it harder is that Paul is in Amsterdam with work until Thursday and I hate to have to give him such news while he's away, but he always asks after Hugo and I can't lie to him.
View user's profileSend private message
jdrrco
Master Friend
Master Friend


Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 278
Location: Appletreewick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ruth, awful news. We're thinking of you, Paul, Hugo and all the vet team as you try to make the right decisions.

_________________
www.barneythebriard.co.uk
View user's profileSend private message
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 13 Jul 2005
Posts: 1053
Location: St Helens

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. He's had the surgery now, but the vet says it's looking pretty bleak. He crashed twice and they brought him back, but they are pretty sure it is cancer, as once they went in they could see that spores have spread to his liver. Now that they know that, they won't resuscitate if he crashes again. I did ask if it would be kinder to put him to sleep now, but the vet said that if it was his dog he would just wait and see if he comes round over the next hour or so. He said he's not in pain, he's quite out of it and has had pain meds. They are going to ring me again later, but I'm not holding out much hope. I know they don't live forever and that 9 years and 8 months is quite old for a 50kg dog, but it doesn't make it any easier.
View user's profileSend private message
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 922
Location: Cornwall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

_________________
Maxine& Nick, Pastou & Lilas the Berger Picards. Always in our hearts, playing together now at Rainbow Bridge, Sally, Barney, Tao, Ina & Rummage.
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


 Jump to:   



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum