The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 RIP Brion View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't bring myself to write anything really except to say that we have just said goodbye to Brion, very peacefully with our lovely vet coming out to our home. Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Amanda, I'm so very sorry you must be devastated, I know how much your lovely boy meant to you. I don't really know what to say I'm in tears thinking of you all.

love Carol Brian and Dillon XXX
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you. Feeling a bit better now, late afternoon, and able to write a bit more. Yes he meant a great deal to all of us (my hulking 26 year old son who used to call Brion 'that old booby' has rung in tears) but I do sense him around in a way I can't explain and our vet reassured me that he agreed with my decision (left to me by my husband, who couldn't make it) that it was time. Dear old boy, there were so many things wrong with him - virtually all apart from his faithful old heart - and we had helped him over many 'dips' as when he fell down the stairs - his absolute most important place was sleeping at the foot of our bed and he used to 'book' it - as our sons said - whenever he saw Dinah even possibly thinking of going up to bed -and later got stuck reversing, as he had taken to doing, it was very upsetting indeed, and I would just cuddle him until he could stop shaking and the anxious look would leave his lovely face. Inevitably, though, his horizons were narrowing and the dips more frequent as his poor stiff arthritic legs really very rapidly began seizing up on him and his breathing became more and more noisy. Metacam helped for some time, and feeding him with his bowl in an earth filled flower pot so h e didn't have to bend.
He accepted that he couldn't go upstairs again most sensibly and even accepted taht he couldn't follow me as always before everywhere, but would lie in a strategic place with the best view. Even a few weeks ago he enjoyed chasing balls (for a little) in the garden with Dinah and he was always game for a biscuit or a tummy tickle but I had told myself when he had his last 'dip', when he just stared at me with his anxious eyes for what seemed like hours that I would do my utmost to decide to let him go while he was happy rather than when he was scared. And he had returned to licking his front forelegs anxiously, which definitely seemed connected with the arthritis, and one foreleg was becoming very shaky. He could, though, still roll on his back for tummy tickles, and so I thought now was the time. He, Dinah and I had a lovely late afternoon rest in his favourite place in our garden yesterday, with the hens cropping the grass close by, and this morning I had a good few hours to stroke and just be with him (which was always what mattered most in the world to him) with Dinah nearby, and he managed one last roll onto his back before the vet came and really was kindness and thoughtfulness itself, giving him time to settle down in his favourite spot in the garden before giving him a sedative so that he just got gently drowsier and drowsier and now I can only be glad for him.
Dinah, probably reacting to me, went and hid under a bush afterwards when I tried to get her into the car, wanting something to distract us both. However, she eventually came out and now seems back to her normal ebullient self, though the vet says she will probably be confused for a few days.
thanks for the sympathy, now and over the nine and a half years we have had with with Brion. At times, especially when life with him seemed to lurch from trauma to trauma, you lot were an absolute lifeline for me. thanks all.
Amanda

Senior Friend
Senior Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to hear about Brion - I know how you must be feeling. One positive note is that Norbert is up there waiting to welcome his dad so he won't be alone. I hope Brion likes beer as that was Norbie's favourite tipple - in moderation of course.
Sounds like you may be lucky with Dinah - Louis grieved badly after Norbie went and would lie on his bed most of the time. It was a good 6 months before he was back to "normal".

Having Dinah around might help to make it easier.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amanda, I am so very very sorry Crying or Very sad
I remember fondly our cold blowy walk on the dunes with Brion & Ina. Such a lovely boy.
I am heartbroken for you.
There will be fun though over Rainbow Bridge when Ina greets Brion for some lovely playtime.
Take care, sending you a hug xx

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Ananda and family I am so very sorry to read of Brion's passing my heart goes out to you. It's so hard to let them go but you have done your very best for him and loved him enough to realise hin fron his pain. Take comfort in the many happy memories you have of him. Hugs to you and Dinah
Run free sweet Brion xx.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh Amanda, you must be heart-broken. There have been a few tears here, as even though we never met him, we feel we knew him through your posts. You have made a very brave decision to let him go, but it is a decision made from love and compassion. I think you always know when they are ready to pass over. The hole they leave is enormous, but hopefully Dinah will keep you smiling and all of those wonderful memories will be a comfort. Your dedication to your dogs has always been very apparent in your posts - he was an extremely lucky boy. It might be hard right now to celebrate the great life he has had, but you will be able to in time. Our thoughts are with you all. xxxxx
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not much to add....words are never enough. But so very sad & devastated that another of our breed has passed. They bring so much to our lives....and when they leave....such an enormous void. Thankfully the memories live on...in all of us....so eventually we call smile again looking back on their lives & antics. You're in our thoughts & prayers.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you all. We have just returned from two days in North Norfolk, visiting my parents and it has felt sad and strange to return home to find no deep gruff bark to greet us, even though of course we knew we couldn't. Dinah has been sleeping on 'his' mat but otherwise seems fine, even excelled herself by retrieving my husband's cap from a marsh pool where the wind had blown it in Norfolk! Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Amanda, we are both gutted and offer you our sincere condolences. That dog had a bit of both of our hearts. We loved him. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Paul & Caitriona
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So very sorry for your loss Amanda, I was reading your story with tears rolling down my face! Having been there many times ourselves we feel your pain. It is always such a hard decision but a decision you make out of love you have for them! They leave such footprints on your heart that you will never be without them!

Millie our girl is getting visibly older as well now and is also on daily Metacam and often she needs help getting down the stairs, just guidance, just safety so she won't fall down the stairs. She will call us when she needs us!

Take care and cuddle Dinah just that extra bit more!

Paul

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just seen this Amanda. So so sorry. We both feel quite upset. To say you always did your best for him is a massive understatement. Our thoughts are with you and Dinah. It's so tough, words can't do much but time will help with all your wonderful Brion memories.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks all again. And, Jill and Maxine, I have very happy memories of Brion gallumphing along with you and Ossie and Ina. Thank you for giving us such happy days. Dear old boy, he was a bit special needs, wasn't he? We are at present discovering that his utter determination to be the closest place possible to me at all times seems to have impacted Dinah more than she let on because she is at present delightedly moving into his space and that is lovely, to find her blossoming, much cuddlier and more affectionate than she used to be.
Paul, I'm glad that Millie is sensible about the stairs. Brion fell because of his determination to get up there whenever he could and that demanded when he was so stiff a rush at them, and once sadly I was at the top and saw him coming, saw him totter and could only watch the inevitable. Coming down was always fine because he would wait happily and I could then help him down. It was a great relief when he realised he couldn't make it again, and so we just left him and Dinah downstairs at night, which was readily accepted in a way that wouldn't have been when he was stronger.
Amanda

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tears rolling down my face imagining your grief, I too had to make the decision to have Fluke and Clyde put to sleep, Clyde's only been gone 7 weeks, both of them within 7 months ,nothing I can say can make you feel any better, but my thoughts are with you and your family.

Jean x

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic