The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Dangerous substance on our beaches View next topic
View previous topic
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello again. Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before but it seems so awful that I am risking a repeat. As I chatted with Dinah's groomer, we got to discussing palm oil on beaches. Dinah ate some on a North Norfolk beach a few years ago and was very sick indeed and so we rang the vet who said, 'Bring her in asap,' which we did, to meet a very concerned vet who said that she had another dog in at that time who had also eaten some off the same beach and she was afraid was not going to survive. I hope that dog did. Dinah, thank Goodness, did. I think probably the fact that we had given her some of Brion's congealed porridge for her supper and she kept drinking water (we thought just because she had been on the beach and must have swallowed lots of salt) helped her a lot and so she was so very sick.
the dog groomer told me some horror stories of beaches down h ere, on the South Coast, and of a dog that died recently - in the car on the way home - after eating the beastly stuffl. She says that one should now always Google palm oil on beaches and the particular one you are going to before walking your dog there because it is now such a big problem. And I never knew, so just in case anyone else doesn't. .
Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We get notifications sometimes from vets on various fb pages. We do get it washed up now & again in Cornwall. Trouble is with Palm oil, it is generally mixed with cleaning agents when the ships illegally wash their stuff out at sea, that is what makes dogs ill/kills them. Sad
People need to get their dogs to vet ASAP if eaten.

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes that is what my dog groomer said - the problem is caused by illegal washing out of ships' holds. I didn't realise that it was the cleaning agents that caused the problem, though. I thought it was the palm oil itself. Not that it matters. The stuff Dinah ate was white and in chunks and I thought at the time that it was typical disgusting to us but delicious to dogs flotsam and she had just eaten a bad bit of fish. Clearly not. Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic