The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Two blue born pups 6mths old urgently looking for homes View next topic
View previous topic
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

https://www.facebook.com/valeriecosse/posts/1392717177512396

This is not a puppy advert it's for homing

Teseny Briards
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Itís a shame this is only available to people on Facebook,
Carol & Dillon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

lizannesley wrote:
Itís a shame this is only available to people on Facebook,

I agree.
I think FB has completely spoilt this site, we never hear anything anymore from most of it's members. Sad
Yvonne Holland
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm coming back to you about babies looking for a family. After a great mobilization, big thanks to you all for them, a little male is still looking for his family. Another little effort for this little guy please. Thank you in advance 😊

Teseny Briards
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Page is no longer available on fb. Hopefully that means all sorted?

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree about the Facebook comment - I am not on it and also don't hear anything any more. So all you users of this site , I may not always comment but I am always listening!!!

Kathy and Zeta
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We need to post more Smile I will do a post soon about my honorary Briards Smile Get you up to speed Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I also want to support this website. I am on FB, but it tends to be the usual short posts and photos, compared to the longer stories, information and advice you get on here.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh good, people still want to read, given my tendencies to 'go on'!! I too like reading the longer entries, though I do like those Facebook pix too.
May I take the moment to ask for any good tips over Dinah's mega trauma which has if anything got worse since Brion's death back in March. She has generally settled comfortably into filling his big shoes and seems to be really enjoying all the extra attention that she now gets, but travelling in cars, especially our new (well new to us) Volvo 50 estate is quite a problem. She only really goes in that car for long journeys. It is the smallest of the Volvo estates and with its three head rests on the back seats there is really not a lot of space for a Briard to get through onto the back seat but on both our long trips to and from Norfolk, where my parents live, since Brion died she has suddenly plopped through onto the back seat just as we were cruising along on the motorway, and then perched herself panting and dribbling for the rest of the journey atop the suitcases that had been put there so that she could have the boot to herself.
Since puppyhood she has not been over keen on being in the boot of any car on the motorway. Once I took her on what was supposed to be a getting used to a longer trip and a big lorry loomed up behind our Honda Jazz and next thing she yelped and a scared furry face appeared desperately looking over the back seats in my rear view mirror. I discovered later that she had weed in her fright.
Until Brion died she was not keen but managed. He was totally unfazed by cars, big lorries looming etc, and on long journeys he would lie stretched out, while she sat bolt upright beside him, definitely not happy, panting, but not desperately trying to escape like now.
ON the day that he died, I went to put her in the Jazz just for a short trip, wanting to just get away from home for a little, and she went and hid in a bush, which she had never done before. Now she will always hide in that same bush if she thinks I am going to put her in the car, unless I put her lead on first.
Journeys in the Jazz are not too bad for her now. They are usually short, and lead to a good fun thing, like a walk, and I trap a sheet in the rear door so that she can't see anything coming up behind and she will sit with her back right up against the front seats and just about cope, not panting but also not lying down. After a good walk or training session, she does usually lie down and relax, on the return journey.
The Volvo, though, remains a trauma. We just don't know what to do. ONe option is to buy a very expensive cage that will fit that particular car and then we could cover it with a sheet but that is a very expensive experiment and I think that she would be pretty anxious about going into a quite small cage, though maybe would get used to it. Another is to get a dog guard so that she at least can't jump onto the back seat but that I think would just leave her scared in the very back and my husband does not want any sheets being jammed in his nice new(ish) car's boot door. A soft travel cage is another option, which we could cover with a cloth, but I think that would worry her too, though we could practise her with the soft cage indoors, feeding her there etc. We do have a sort of blanket affair that I got online, and which makes a sort of hammock on the back seat of the car so there is no danger of the dog falling into the foot well there and I also bought a dog harness, but that one is very uncomfortable for her, strapping her crossways across the seat, though she did tolerate it.
Any better ideas, or indeed suggestions for a better harness? If I could find one that enabled her to face forwards that might help.
Brenda advised feeding her in the car, which I haven't done as much as I should but will do. However I think that the biggest problem is those looming lorries. (or blooming lorries!).
Anyone still reading after all this? I would be really grateful if so for more advice. In fact I do need it for the Jazz too because when I go weekly to take Dinah on the motorway for her training session with lovely Moina Van der Heijden I always have that car, and if I have forgotten to black out the back window Dinah has on several occasions suddenly jumped through onto the front passenger seat when a looming/blooming lorry has come up without my noticing, which is not safe at all.
Amanda

Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

your Dinah certainly likes to put you through it!!

I can't really help as my boys have always loved the car - given half the chance they would sit in it all day in the forlorn hope that I may take them for a ride even if it is just to the shops and back (they don't need to even get out).

If I think of a good idea I will let you know.

Good Luck

Kathy and Zeta

p.s when my other half had a big open top car a few years ago he would sit up in the back like Lord Muck (Zeta not Paul) leaning from one side to the other going round the corners. He was the talk of the village.!!
Ruth Richardson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our Volvo XC70 actually has a metal grille built into the car roof, which can be folded down to keep dogs in the boot, so I am surprised yours doesn't, Amanda.
Oscar used to keep jumping through on to the back seat and so we got him a hammock and harness and since then, all our dogs have travelled the same way. I know this is not practical for everyone but, as we have no kids, and Paul's bike has to travel in the boot, it suits us and the dogs are much happier to be closer to you. They don't slide around as much and just tend to sleep on long journeys. You can unclip one side of the hammock and just roll it inwards to allow one person to travel on the back seat too (well you can if your dog is quite obliging - Hugo would budge up and Fin does too, but Oscar, the smallest of the three, wouldn't shift!
Fin currently has a Pet Ninja Waterproof Pet Seat Cover from Amazon £30.99. It's a really good-quality, quilted hammock with anti-slip backing and seat anchors that you push between the back and seat, so it doesn't slide about, as well as side flaps to protect the sides of the seat when he is getting in. He then has a Pet Lovers Durable Dog Seatbelt £9.99 from Amazon, which has a heavy duty strap and metal fastenings (I wouldn't recommend the cheaper versions which are not as strong). One end of this plugs into a seat-belt slot and the other end clips on to a harness. It has a swivel clip, so the dog can even turn around without getting tangled up. Fin's harness is just a really comfortable, padded one from a pet store. Might be worth trying when you only have one or two passengers.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So glad you were reading, Ruth and Kathy. Kathy, love the picture of Zeta swaying around. (Actually our original Briard, Bertie, adored the car too, and used to poke his great big head out of my window from where he would sit just behind me in what was then a Renault 5. Happy memories. Brion loved it too and even when very stiff he would try to jump in whenever we opened the back door.) Seat belt ordered since we already have a hammock, so let's hope that helps Di. Because the main problem is the Volvo which she rarely goes in, I keep putting off tackling the problem, so glad I have now. Ruth, the car is pretty old, so no dog grille, handy though it would be. Clever old Volvo.
Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am still reading too. I think the advice is great. Not tried a hammock thing with my girl, but will look at them, as she is not keen on going in car & won't go in a crate either. Smile
I am hoping to get a spare 10 mins to do a post about my doggies soon Smile Have worked out now how to upload pics on postimage Smile

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The pups Yvonne sought to help all did get sorted in the end. Very Happy And yes, I need to return here more often. AND RECEIVE A REMINDER ON HOW TO UPLOAD PHOTOS.
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Although I posted a few photos in the past, I havenít been able to in ages. Please ....step by step details on how to.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://postimages.org/
create an account ( although you can do it without, but maybe pics are then public)
Choose the size of image
click no expiration & upload Smile
You then get a list of where to post to, on right hand side click file tab for 'Hotlink to forums' it will say 'copied'
Click here & paste
Done Smile, then it will appear on your post

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very Happy Maxnick! Crack open the champagne. Thank you so much. Of course I'll have to follow your post every single time Wink
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maxnick wrote:
http://postimages.org/
create an account ( although you can do it without, but maybe pics are then public)
Choose the size of image
click no expiration & upload Smile
You then get a list of where to post to, on right hand side click file tab for 'Hotlink to forums' it will say 'copied'
Click here & paste
Done Smile, then it will appear on your post
gorgeous <3
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For you Maxnick Wink

maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awwww thank you & what a fabulous picture xx

Friend in Training
Friend in Training

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Smile I am a FBC ( Beardies ) site member, and a member here although I mainly lurk.... Rolling Eyes yerbut, want to echo what others have said about FB - I dont do it either, and over on the Beardie site we have seen far less postings...many only go onto the FBC site on FB.... Sad

Lets keep these sites active! xx

( ps Hi Max....Pastou....Lilas.... Smile )

Remembering Betsy and lucyyorkie

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic