The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Home needed View next topic
View previous topic
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can anyone help in UK
a three and half year old fawn castrated Briard needs a new home.
He needs to be an only pet as he is not keen on cats and does not get on with the dog he lives with at present
He will need a knowledgable home someone with time and patience to advance his training. He is a loving boy with alot to offer but will need firm guidance. If you would consider giving this boy a home please PM me for consideration then I can put you in touch with the present owners. It is a heartbreaking decision for them and it is important this move is to a forever home for him.
Thanks Brenda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is this dog rehomed yet, please? I ask because at least he appears to be British; a pedigree Briard, thus should be high priority. I've just taken another dog recently, who fits in beautifully with my own Briard (I choose dogs that way) and he was missing his former partner a great deal. But if you need help advertising this dog, just say.

You can actually train compatibility, should you want to hold onto him, but it means you need to put in the hours. Worth it though. We need a muzzle; that stuff for fireworks (the spray); a thunder jacket; treats galore; baby gates and the patience of a saint. But it can be done. It's exhausting, but if it means you can keep your dog, it's worth trying. I did it with Z and a male Bullmastiff. I had the Bullmastiff over for a visit and decided I was sick of them taking shots at each other. So I trained it out of them. It was a good learning experience for me. It can be done. It was great with the muzzle: it was a case of I only had to get it out and let them see it, to shut them down. I didn't actually have to keep it on either dog. They wore it each, for a few minutes to learn wat it was then it became a sheer deterrent.

But, I admit, I prefer adopting females, as I do't have to go through all this rigmarole at the start. Let me know. x
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forget I spoke. This advert and the dog are two separate entities to say the least. I've seen all I need to see and am astounded at the chain of events that have led to this poor dog being let down repeatedly. Take my post down if you want. But as a true dog lover, I could not sit here and pretend I find this nonsense acceptable, as it is anything but. Sad
Brenda Wilkinson
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Patrica may I respectfully suggest that you do not judge situations you do not have full knowledge of.

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Problem is...I do know. You left a trail of evidence. You lot always do. But this time, I've said my piece because you've excelled yourselves.
fi
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi
Am I on "the friendly briard site" !!!!

Fi
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

sure...as long as a dog's well being is of upmost importance, I'm lovely. Very Happy I just have seen good rescue and bad rescue and cannot abide the latter, as the dog suffers. I hate seeing dogs pushed from pillar to post; false descriptions; lack of homework; dogs put in situations that are clearly unsuitable for them, and seeing them riddled with fear because of inconsistency. We bred them to become dependent upon us, and it is, thus, our duty to meet their needs. Potential owners must be vetted thoroughly, and I vet the rescues as thoroughly myself, hence I have successfully rehomed two. I've watched a woman with a Romanian Briard cross, who has put in the effort over the last year to turn him around. She asked for help in all the right places. When he first came out with us? He was the dog from hell. Now he's great. Why? Because she put in the hours and we were delighted to help her, as she clearly loved him. So that's the bench mark. I've recently rescued a breed I know little about, but I ensured I got support from the right people and it's worked out lovely. So, in my book, there are no excuses for it. But you are right, if I perceive a dog being sold short, I will speak out because that's what I am. A dog lover. If that makes me abrasive, so be it. I love the species and cannot stand back and pretend to be slappy happy when i'm not. I'm not two faced, I'm not afraid to speak out, I'm not here to be popular. I'm here to support dogs. Nor can I stand trainer hopping either. That's another bug bear. What's the point going to a trainer and then not following through at home? My trainers are Ian Dunbar and John Bradshaw. They've never let me down. And I have a friend , who has two Russian Ovcharkas, who my Briard thinks is a God. Why? Because he knows how to handle dogs. Zizou picks that up. I've met these dogs. Can I handle one? never. It is beyond me. My lifestyle would not make the dog happy. That matters to me. So we visit him at his place. I'm a great believer in getting a dog you can handle. If you can't handle it, walk away. If you have one you should be able to cope with (having done thorough breed research) get help. If the help is unsatisfactory, get other help. The internet and book stores are choked full of help. Ask good breeders too. I am not afraid to approach two top breeders for help. They are wonderful with me. There are many super dog trainers and owners out there. Do research and find them. I've spent over 6 years studying what goes on and some of it is utterly appalling. And not just here. It's just this recent case has been everything that is wrong with dog "rescue", so I felt compelled to speak out. When I see it done well, I'm just as quick to speak out. I've watched my French friends get dogs out of awful situations within a week. But they know what they are doing. I have a Briard rescue contact in the UK, who also has proven she knows what she is doing. My poor boy was ill at the loss of his Rottie partner. So I've got him a nice DDB and they are happy together. As far as I'm concerned...job done. He's happy, she's avoided kennels, the vet and RSPCA have my back...what's not to love? I never expected to have a DDB, but no way was I having him going about in misery for lack of a female partner. And like my Rottie, I ensured the rescue facility cared as much about the well being of my dogs as I did, hence it worked. One day, I hope to go back to Z's breeder for another Briard as she knows what she is doing, but Z needed a partner quickly and the DDB needed to hell out of that kennel. So I made my move. But I keep in touch with Z's breeder, and can trust her. In the dog world, let me tell you, that is, sadly, rare.

I'm currently reading an article written by a man, who was told a 12 month Beardie was a lost cause. what did he do? Applied Maslow's theory, built a relationship with the dog, and you should see them now: a unit. And I listen to what he has to say because I learn much from him. Pick your advisors with care. Look at their track records. My vet dealt with all sorts in South Africa. He's a wealth of knowledge on behaviour. He's certainly proven himself when helping me with my two rescues. In less than a week I've had both accepted by Zizou. But I went in there expecting to have to work at it......Yes, I agree , there is much nonsense out there about dogs-the continued ignorance astounds me, but you do not have to stay ignorant. And while I'm here, another point: this nonsense that prevails, which tries to blame all breeders for the ills in the dog world. Please. Like any section of society, there are good and bad. I've made it my business to associate only with breeders proven to be class.

Oh I was once slammed for daring to praise two on my own Facebook wall. Talk about insecurity! It was pathetic. Those involved simply went on to become a laughing stock to me. I'm a potential puppy buyer, and I will spend my money where I like, regardless of who it upsets. I have preferred breeders for a reason and the same goes for rescue. And as for those, who find that unsettling I have no apologies.

Here is how pitiful this can all become. I was once told "I keep everything in writing." Well, so do I now. That is why, I can come on here and shoot my mouth off, safe in the knowledge that these insecure excuses for "dog lovers" can take a hike. I'm fortunate enough to have such a nice strong set of decent upstanding friends in this dog world that the opinions of those who are at loggerheads with me are, frankly, meaningless.

I find the vanity, transparency and utter delusion is simply ludicrous. But, hey, that's me. Wink

But as I said at the start, treat a dog well? I'm just a sweetheart. Smile Wink Wink
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh dear, Patricia, I have met you and like you and thoroughly admire you for what a lovely dog you have in Zizou. I still remember visiting at your home with our Brion, who was then normally guardy over food, and you put two bowls of chicken snacks down side by side on the kitchen floor, and Zizou and Brion calmly ate side by side. That was brilliant. I've met Brenda too and quite a few others who write on this website, and I really like them and respect them too. Indeed I am hugely indebted to Brenda for her endless patience and kindness and priceless advice to me over our dogs. She has also been remarkably unjudgemental, when I have certainly deserved quite a bit of censure. For me, it is due to Friendly Briard members' support that I am improving hugely, and making some great new friends. I don't think you need to be so harsh on them as a body, honest. Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Amanda. I feel the same about you, believe me. I'm only referring to a certain few characters on here, and you are certainly not one of them. Those to whom I refer know who they are and why.

I know I was brutal, Amanda, that is a side of me that comes out when I am worried about an innocent dog's well being. But, no way in heaven do I think everybody on this site is a waste of time. Like I said in my post, all societies have good and bad. You, my dear come into the former category.

Having had to spend the last few months training the "hunt" out of a Dane (he was shocking) I appreciate it's hard work. Ok, I didn't have to do it, but him and Zizou love each other, and Charlie had some habits needing adjusting. He's another poor lad classed as untrainable. That was rubbish too. He's fine now. Confidence and communication is key. He's 78kg! I had to be on the ball. I just watch the ears. If they go forward we stop and have a talk. He's only on a normal collar. His problem was his owner, a lady, simply needed her confidence building. So we rallied round and did it. Danes have a natural hunt instinct. She had done nothing wrong. We just needed to find him something else more exciting than hunting.

But this current dog that kicked me off is in a terrible state. His life so far has been horrendous: he's terrified, and it's heart breaking. And when I see that, I tend to go into a red zone. Because I care. If you were in such a situation with Dinah, I'd be the same. We'd be over to yours in a heartbeat.

My issue is that this poor dog was advertised as one thing, turned out to be another, is petrified out of his wits and it's well... a mess. And I've seen it too often in my days as a dog owner. My Hollie came to me shut down. It was my duty to get her out of that asap. Bella was confused (her owner had died.) Again, my job to reassure. But, before either dog came into this house, I got help and advice, which I continue to get re. Bella. Not that she needs it now. So my post is aimed at those who allowed this rescue to go so badly. He should have been checked and assessed before being handed over. Any work needing done should have occurred before being handed over.

Thee have bee too many lies in this whole fiasco and that is what disgusts me. Not the members of this site, but those involved in this car crash of a dog rescue. x
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

And the upside is....I'm in touch with an old friend again. RESULT. (y)
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Now has a home Smile As per Brenda's other post

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I'm friends with this owner too. Have been for a long time. Wink
briard254

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am glad he has a new home.