The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 My 18 mo. Mirabelle occasionally eats a bit of her fur View next topic
View previous topic
dkinsey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since she was around 9 months, I would notice areas on her that look like someone has taken a pair of scissors to her. When she was younger, it was her back paws and flank. Now it's her primarily her front paws. Never both as the same time.

She's not licking or chewing her hair constantly and there are no bald spots. Just a light trim off the top.

Actually she can go for months without doing it and then one day she's trimmed a bit of the hair off the side of one of her front paws. It's never extreme, I only notice it when I'm grooming her. Which is three times a week. And she's very tangle free.

The trimming is really infrequent but kind of frustrating since it takes awhile for the hair length to even out. Our last Briard, Cyrano, didn't have this issue.

Our vet thinks maybe when she is chewing on her toys she's eating a bit of her fur as well.

It's very weird. I was wondering if anyone else has observed that kind of behavior with their bundle of love.
Zizou
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My boy likes to nibble himself. He's 7, and has done it on and off since a pup. Luckily, the only damage it does to his hair is tangle it, so I de-tangle often. Maybe if you encourage your girl to do something else every time you catch her at it, she will stop eventually. I used this method succesfully to stop my dogs from licking wounds until they healed. It also worked with chewing furniture etc: I gave them something "better"
to chew

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic