The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Winter snow tip View next topic
View previous topic
lizannesley
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is the first year we had a lot of snow in a while. The first morning we set off for a walk and had to stop every so often to take off the snowballs developing on Jeena’s legs. Some of the balls were so large...almost tennis ball size. We shortened the walk and when we got home, I googled to find a remedy to control this issue.
Children socks with the toe seams picked opened (or cut) then slide them on up...ie leg warmers. Their paws are “exposed” and nails still can grip.
I went to the market and found small children’s socks that’d be appropriate for her legs. They worked perfectly.

If I could figure out how to upload photos, I would send the before & after photos.
maxnick
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brilliant tip Smile Sadly no snow here, not even a glimmer, just hail/rain Sad

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rain and more rain here. We bought Dinah one of those towelling dog bags that zip up over their back, which seemed a good idea since we spent Christmas with my family on the North Norfolk coast, where her ladyship had some most unladylike hurtles through marsh pools and along the edge of the waves on the shore, and we wanted to protect our rented cottage's clean walls from any 'tail painting'. She rather reluctantly permitted herself to be zipped in but it was a size too small, and she sat looking very hard done by indeed with this strange red thing straining over her back and totally immobilising her, so we took pity on her and used it just as a towel, and used the old method of dunking paws and as much of legs and tail as possible in a washing up bowl of warm water, then throwing further bowls full over and under her, and then drying like mad, which fortunately did the trick. Now in Surrey and just the rain - without the excitement of storm lashed seas. Happy New Year to all and hope some of you get snow. amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good idea. I have used boys socks before, but when you leave them intact, they tend to come off unless you use that vet sticky bandage to tape round the legs and fold the top of the sock over (although that does stop the ice balls between pads if you cover the feet too).

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic