The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Anyone remember Olive the Spanish Briard? View next topic
View previous topic
Caddywaddy
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello

Just wondering if anyone here remembered Olive the briard I rescued from a Spanish killing station 10 years ago. She's now 14 (having lived 9.5 years longer than the vet predicted at the time), but we're now in a crisis and I'd love someone to chat with.

My gorgeous Olive was diagnosed with cancer in her front paw last week. The vet advocates putting her down. The other option is amputation, but... could a 14 year old adapt to life with 3 paws? It'd also cost £1600, which is an impossible amount to find. I just don't know what to do. She's my heart and my world, she really is. I'm crying typing this. But I don't want to force a 14 year old through pain and operations just to hold on to her for a few more months... I'm so torn. I don't know what to do. I just can't put her to sleep without knowing it's definitely the right thing. She's trusted me for 10 years and I can't let her down.

I'd love someone to chat with. Just in bits. Sorry.
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh I am so sorry. I do understand about the trusting you bit. that is so precious. I can't I'm afraid help as to whether a dog can manage on three legs, though my experience of our Brion - three toes off but not paws and he wasn't so old - is that his trust for us, and our vet, was what helped him to recover remarkably well from each op. Also when the time came to make the horrible, horrible decision to put him to sleep, I was helped in deciding (my husband opted out of all of this, couldn't bear it) by knowing how he trusted us, and so I determinedly used my head as much as I could, listened to the vet, who said he thought that 'quality of life' was the issue, realised that Brion's quality of life was getting rapidly worse, and made the awful decision at a time when he was on an 'up' because his big eyes just glued themselves to mine, looking so anxious, when he had, as he increasingly did, 'down's, arranged for our most sympathetic vet to come out to our house, made sure to spend a very happy last afternoon with Brion, just reading a book while he lay in the sun in his favourite place in the garden (I didn't want him to sense that anything was up) and then our vet came round the next day and gave him a sedative while he lay in that favourite place, and I stroked his dear old head. That's all I can offer I am afraid, other than huge sympathy, and I hope the very slight encouragement that although, fifteen months on, I still miss him, I don't have any regrets over the decision. Amanda

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the reply, Amanda. Means so much to hear someone else's story.
The vet thinks it's time. She's been my furry warrior for 10 years and this is one battle she shouldn't have to fight. So yes, I'm going to do a similar thing to you. She's going to get her favourite pizza (a whole one, not just the crusts), and then cuddle up with me on the floor and go to sleep... wow, it's hard, isn't it? Thank you so much again, Amanda. xx
Amanda Elsdon-Dew
Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I am afraid that it is very hard for us who love them very much and I dare to think that we can make it not so hard for them. Will be thinking of you. Amanda

Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't really know if a dog that age would adapt. Is she healthy enough otherwise?
Can your vet tell you what her quality of life would be like if he didn't amputate? Would she be in pain? Could it be managed? It is a hard call. Could you get a second opinion?
I am so sorry you are going through this. If the vet thinks she could cope with amputation then I am sure we could between us, help raise some funds somehow.
Hope you can make peace with what you decide x

Master Friend
Master Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with everything that Maxnick said. Only you can tell how Olive is in herself. Youíve lived with her all this time. I think a second opinion is always important. You will have to live with your final decision.
Please donít let money be the deciding factor...as was mentioned, there are ways to raise the money.
kathy morgan
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In February this year I was in your position, my big beautiful boy in his thirteenth year was failing. But while he could still potter in the garden (with help to get up) and was woofing back his food I kept putting it off. Cowardly I was hoping he would make the decision for me and just not make it one morning but he was a tough old boy! Then one morning he didn't want to get up and wouldn't eat, so that was my decision made for me. The house was so empty and cold as was my heart -why do we do it? because they give us so much while they are here.

How long can she go on pain treatment? I also will help if you go down the amputation route.

P.S Thanks to luck and Debbie I now have JET a gorgeous new puppy, he will never take Zeta's place but he is helping to heal the gap.

My thoughts are with you

Kathy & Jet

Zeta in dreams

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic