The First UK Briard Website Forum Index
Home  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log inFAQ
 Puppy mouthing and jumping up View next topic
View previous topic
Sandie George

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

During the first bout of teething we tried all sorts of things to stop the mouthing, none of which really worked. However, Frodo's wisdom teeth are coming through, he's a lot larger (10 months next week and 27 Kg) and the mouthing creates those wonderful Briard bruises. I've started to massage his gums with ice, and also to massage the jaw from the outside of the mouth as well. He just loves it and, although the teeth are not fully through, I haven't had a bruise for two weeks. He hasn't attempted to mouth my husband or I. We also bought a white, vanilla flavoured (it said, and it smelt like it) white rubber ring that is also large enough, yet thin enough, for him to chew at the back of his jaw.
We all know the jumping up is in the genes and, again at the start, we were told to use smelling salts each time Frodo jumped up. He just loved the smell!! So that was no good - however, now his sense of smell has enlarged considerably I decided to try it again and it is definitely working. We also found the obstinacy of jumping up happened when he went back on the lead so we walk through him, not allowing him to jump or make us change direction. That's working too - if only he would walk to heel - going downhill is fine but uphill and level walks - aaaarrrgh!
He's just learnt to swim and looks so elegant when he's in the water - wish I could say the same when he comes out!
Sandie Laughing
Louise McFarland
Friend
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great tips - thanks! We have been growling and then ignoring Galen for a time when he jumps up and nips, and it is making a real difference, slowly but surely! There are still those times though when he gets REALLY excited though and he totally forgets Rolling Eyes . I have a really impressive 'Bruise de Briard' at the moment Evil or Very Mad .

When he was actively teething I sometimes put his gumabones into the freezer for an hour (in a plastic bag before anyone says yuck! Laughing ) and he really liked that. Must remember about massaging the gums with ice, although he loves ice cubes so much I think I might go through a mountain of them before he stops nicking them from me!

27kg at 10 months... Shocked Galen is 6 months and 25kg... I can still feel his ribs pretty easily under what feels to me like a good healthy layer of padding. Is he perhaps a bit overweight or just going to be a monster? He is just over 60cm at the shoulder now.

How did you teach him to swim? Galen loves playing in shallow water but doesn't like having to lift his paws off the bottom and actually swim. We have a nice safe shallow bay we take him to but he is not impressed even when we are out in the sea with him. He keeps trying to climb onto my back Confused .
Sandie George

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Louise
yes, we also tried the 'ignore and turn away' routine as well and I guess a combination of all of these help.
We had Frodo at 7 weeks which bemused our four adult cats somewhat. Millie, our tabby, 'allowed' Frodo to chase her and she jumped across our pond (16ft diameter) and Frodo missed!! He dog paddled out and was scared of water for a long time - shame, really, as we live a mile from the sea shore but we would take him to the beach and play ball there. Every tiny wave he would run away but then he made friends with an Italian Spinoni and they had great fun in the water, but Frodo still would not swim again.
Last week, we wandered onto a new area called 'Cockle Beach' which is only available when the tide is out and there was a inlet of water where a lady was swimming with her elderly collie, who suffers from rheumatism (the dog, not her). Anyway, Frodo was playing on the waters edge and we were exchanging comments with the swimming lady and she enticed Frodo out to her, held his head and then he started swimming. As it's been so hot here lately, we've been down to this spot every day and he now loves swimming. It's a joy to see - two japanese visitors were down there yesterday and were filming Frodo saying how happy he looked.
Frodo's Mum is Wynnie, the cover girl on the 2005 calendar, and she's not a tall Briard though he has a half brother who fits Galen's description.
Thanks for the tip about putting the plastic bone in the freezer - I'll try that too but I'm thinking (and hoping) we're over the worst.
Best wishes
Sandie Laughing
Shani Lunnon
Friend for Life
Friend for Life

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great tips for us all, as you know Paygan has always nipped and now mouthed me and always trys to jump up. I also tried all sorts and thought it was just her. She is nearly 12 months and weighs approx 37kg.
She mainly nips when excited that is most of the time, and espeacially when I am brushing her. She is an excitable dog, she just loves other people and dogs too. Although doesnt help me the brusing and scars. I sympathise with you all. I know Paygan back teeth are nearly through and she has started to demolish the house. ( chewing).

www.luelleshabriards.co.uk

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic